Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 05:16 PM

8 posts, read 3,891 times

Advertisements

With a 25% tariff being imposed on single malt scotch starting Oct 18, I'm wondering how this affects the pricing at ABC stores. The ABC store website has already posted their price lists through January 2020, and the cost of my usual scotch looks the same as it has in the past. Does anyone know if the ABC store can modify their price list once it's already been posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,408 times
Why not just call your local ABC store and ask?

Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Pretty sure it’ll take a while for the tariffs to have an impact on retail prices, as distributors probably have months’ worth of product already imported and have been rushing to beef up supplies even more than usual before the deadline.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:12 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
well, if they use the last in, first out accounting, then it should not take long to see the difference.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:40 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
well, if they use the last in, first out accounting, then it should not take long to see the difference.
I agree.

Gas stations use replacement cost to set pump prices; I worked at the corporate offices of the NE equivalent of Sheets 2006-2007; they used to change pump prices many times a day when oil prices were super volatile.

Not saying booze is done the same way here, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:08 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Gas stations use replacement cost to set pump prices; I worked at the corporate offices of the NE equivalent of Sheets 2006-2007; they used to change pump prices many times a day when oil prices were super volatile.
I'll take your word as a insider, but it sure seems the prices go up much more quickly than they come down, with respect to the rise/fall in wholesale prices.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:28 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
I would expect distributors to significantly slow imports if they’ve been able to build up a glut in advance of the deadline, hoping for a relatively quick resolution. They will likely also smooth any price increases using their available inventory. Gasoline doesn’t seem like a good comparison as it is definitely an outlier with its pricing volatility.

Also keep in mind that a 25% tariff translates to a retail price increase of maybe half that. The tariff is applied to the value the distributor pays to import it. But then they mark it up to make a profit when they pass along to the retailer, and then the retailer marks it up. So the price you pay can be half what the distributor paid for that bottle, although it varies widely.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I'll take your word as a insider, but it sure seems the prices go up much more quickly than they come down, with respect to the rise/fall in wholesale prices.

For sure, and that is why it isn't truly a LIFO construct.

Super simple example

Gas prices at pump are based on what the wholesale price of oil is.

Say your gas station buys 1,000 gallons of gas at $2 a gallon. Total Price of the delivery is $2,000

Lets say the price of oil (and thus gas) increases to $2.50 a gallon. Their next gas delivery will be 1,000 * $2.50 = $2,500.

They immediately start setting pump prices based on the gas they will be buying (2.50/gallon), not the price they paid for what is already in the ground (2.00)

Now to your point, the reverse would be something like this.

Station buys 1,000 gallons at 2.50/gallon ($2,500)

A couple of days later, the price drops to 2.00/gallon. If they drop the pump price immediately to reflect the drop, then the gas still in the ground that they paid 2.50/gallon for, they would be selling it for less than they paid for it. Only once those "1,000 gallons I paid 2.50/gallon for" are sold, then you would drop your prices.

So in short, wholesale price moves up, retail price moves up to counter immediately to protect against increased replacement costs.

Wholesale price moves down, retails price delays in terms of it's move down because the product in the ground paid the higher wholesale price, not the replacement cost.

Given tariffs are nothing more than taxes, I would expect the price of Scotch to spike (to counter the increased wholesale cost) quickly, and then when the government gets rid of the stupid tariff, the price will come back down, slowly.

Last edited by GVoR; 10-17-2019 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 AM

140 posts, read 87,819 times
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. The EU slapped a 25% increase in tariffs on US whiskey last year.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbender View Post
What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. The EU slapped a 25% increase in tariffs on US whiskey last year.

Ummmm aren't these in retaliation to the EU subsidizing Airbus? Which ironically we also got caught doing to our manufacturers.

ETA - Then again, when the head of your trade policy references literally made up people in their books as a "see this expert agrees with me!", this nonsense is what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary