U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 PM

939 posts, read 1,480,243 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal.

Our laws, our streets, our judicial system, our law enforcement, our land use regulations and zoning - are all set up to make driving as easy and fast as possible. Drivers are almost never held accountable for their actions unless they do something that affects another driver. There was a concerted effort for many years to marginalize walking. Get them out of the way of the cars! Let the traffic roll!! Drivers can now mow down a pedestrian basically anywhere, any time of the day, any part of town - and unless they were drunk, all they have to do is claim "I didn't see them" and they will get off scott free, every time. The key is, everybody is a driver. The police, the newspaper reporters who write about it, the judges and juries, the engineers who design the roads, the planners who allocate resources for transportation, the polticians - all drivers. So that's who they empathize with.

It's a load of crap.

It is not a sign of an advanced civilization that we have made it virtually impossible to get anywhere without 6,000 pounds of steel surrounding us. It is absolutely barbaric. We are the fat people in WALL-E floating around in our chairs.

Speed limits on our roads are way too fast. Somewhere between 20 and 40mph, the fatality rate for pedestrian strikes goes from roughly 10% to 80%. Other than freeways, to me there's no excuse for roads within city limits to have a speed limit higher than 30mph. Yes that means that you will get to work slower. You need to check your values if you think that is more important than other peoples' lives. Western Blvd? 30mph. Capital Blvd? 30mph. Glenwood Avenue? 30mph. Deal with it.

The "dark clothes" thing is a dodge. If you are driving somewhere that there could be a pedestrian (example: turning across a sidewalk into a parking lot) you are obligated to go slowly enough that you can see pedestrians - EVEN IF they are wearing dark clothes, and EVEN IF that means you have to slow down. Yes. You are not entitled to blithely drive 10 over the full speed limit, or even the full speed limit, regardless of actual conditions.

The "distracted pedestrians" thing is also a dodge. Were any of these three people hit and killed distracted? I see no evidence of that. It's the damned distracted drivers, obesely piloting their 8,000 pound lifted coal rollers at insane speeds through the areas where people live, while they Instagram about how awesome they are on their phones at the same time. Shameful. A WAY higher proporton of drivers I see are looking at their phone compared with pedestrians. Pedestrians instinctively understand the constant peril they are constantly in because of drivers. They are on full alert. Drivers are the problem. DRIVERS ARE THE PROBLEM. But no, can't say that, that would mean holding drivers accountable for the crap they do.

In my opinion, there should be absolutely NO stretch of ANY road within city limits with more than 1/2 mile between safe places for people to cross the street. Anywhere on any existing road with a distance longer than that, if there is not already a crossing, the cities and towns should have prioritized plans for filling the gaps, like they do for widening roads and filling in sidewalk gaps. For freeways, that would mean a bridge or a tunnel; for major roads, that means adding traffic signal that makes cars stop. On neighborhood streets, that would mean a stop sign. And that's for *existing* roads. Any time a new road is built or a major construction project happens, they should target 1/4 mile spacing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 01:51 PM

1,280 posts, read 887,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
When you have to walk 1/2 mile to 1 mile on a road like 55 just to get to a crosswalk to safely get to the other side, it's no surprise that some people will just decide that crossing mid-block is a risk they would be willing to take
This right here! I know kids are not to cross over the railroad tracks, but they do every single day! Kids will not walk down to High House to cross 55 - they cross at Green Hope School Road. There are no other crosswalks for Green Hope HS students to cross 55. It is ridiculous! The Town of Cary would rather bury their heads in the sand than to make a safe path for these kids to cross over 55.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:16 PM

1,424 posts, read 763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Raleigh incident occurred on Six Forks @ Millbrook. This really pisses me off. We used to live in the Loft Lane apartments in 2017-2018 and my fiance tried to walk to that Food Lion one time and said none of the cars stopped despite her having the light and being in the road. Ridiculous
https://abc11.com/raleigh-crash-is-w...-day-/5624522/
Happens in NH all the time

Old 10-17-2019, 03:18 PM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
This right here! I know kids are not to cross over the railroad tracks, but they do every single day! Kids will not walk down to High House to cross 55 - they cross at Green Hope School Road. There are no other crosswalks for Green Hope HS students to cross 55. It is ridiculous! The Town of Cary would rather bury their heads in the sand than to make a safe path for these kids to cross over 55.
And they walk ON the tracks too, instead of along Carpenter Upchurch Rd - it's actually safer!! CU Rd has no sidewalks and NO shoulder.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Sometimes it the pedestrians crossing the street without looking
Much more often than Sometimes. At some point it becomes Darwinism.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:31 PM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
IF the driver wasn't speeding, wasn't impaired, and wasn't otherwise distracted, the driver is not at fault simply because a teenager decided to dart across a state highway where there is no pedestrian crossing signal. It's a tragic accident; it doesn't necessarily mean the person who hit her was a "bad driver."
I agree with you to point,but teaching my kids to drive I've tried to teach them more than just "green means go, red means stop". I handle accident claims for a living, it's AMAZING to me how many people don't know the rules of the road and pass down their lack of knowledge to their kids. It's also amazing to me that people don't ever think something like "gee that person on the side of the road might try to cross in front of me, since why else would they be standing there"...no it doesn't make the driver going (legally) 50 mph with a short sight line at fault. But this person has to live with this for the rest of their life. Have you ever talked to someone who caused a fatality? I have - more than once. I've also seen the dead body of someone who was thrown from a car and I'm sure the person who hit this girl saw her and it's not pretty. REALLY not pretty. I saw arms and legs going in directions they don't normally go.

So yeah people do need to start thinking about ANYTHING that could happen when they get behind the wheel. All of the mullarkey that now comes with cars is NOT making them safer, it's giving people a false sense of security that nothing bad can happen while they are driving. I was driving with my daughter the other day, every single time we are in a parking lot I tell her parking lots are dangerous, there is a lot going on and things change QUICKLY. I get at least one parking lot accident a day. The other day we were driving through Walgreen's - i've taught her to check and see if anyone has entered their car the same time as her and watch to see what they do. Well guess what I forgot to tell her about people who pull into their spots and then back right up WITHOUT LOOKING to straighten up and she almost got backed into - I yelled LOOK OUT and reached over and leaned on the horn while DD stopped, couldn't believe the woman heard me AND THEN STARTED BACKING UP AGAIN AFTER SHE STOPPED AND LOOKED AT US. My daughter couldn't believe that I saw this woman backing up and she didn't. This is why I let her drive all the time. She needs experiences with all the idiots out on the road. People don't ever seem to try to avoid accident anymore. I ask people all the time when did they first see the person they crashed into - "I didn't" is the usual answer. Not acceptable. I ask people what they did to evade. "Ummmm...it happened so fast" yeah you're going 45 mph that's FAST. Even if you don't think so - you're gonna cover a lot of ground in a few seconds. Again - i see a huge change from what I used to see 15, 20 years ago with the way people drive. It IS getting worse.

I looked at the street view of this scene last night and I can't see how this accident could have been avoided, the kid must have jetted out right in front of the car. I'd still like to think I'd steer into the median to avoid a person but who knows. I told my kids - slow and evade....hopefully repeating it over and over it will sink in with them at some point. I saw no skid marks last night at the scene in Holly Springs, not sure if that's meaningful or not. That driver better hope they weren't texting though - their phone recs will SURELY be subpoened.

Last edited by twingles; 10-17-2019 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 04:13 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
It does. It wasn't too long ago a pedestrian was killed crossing Wake Forest Rd @ Ronald Dr which isn't NH but is the same vicinity and basically the same setup as Six Forks @ Millbrook. I'm quite sure there have been more on the area. That's a dangerous intersection simply because people go 60mph on Wake Forest Rd which is highway speed. I almost support having raised crosswalks at these major intersections....only problem is emergency vehicles wouldn't take too well to it and Duke Raleigh Hospital is on WF Rd. Slower speed limit with heavy law enforcement is something too...

I'm a walker - I love to go on walks. I remember trying to cross Wake Forest @ Navaho and basically the same thing happened to me - I had the light but cars were going anyway...I risked it and walked and threw my arms up at a car who turned less than a foot in front of me and shouted at the top of my lungs "pedestrians are a thing *******"...did nothing to phase anyone I'm sure, but yeah. This region needs to become more pedestrian friendly starting years ago. Crossing 6 lane roads where people almost always travel 60mph in a 45mph zone is just dangerous. And yeah, crosswalks are too few and far between for sure.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 887,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And they walk ON the tracks too, instead of along Carpenter Upchurch Rd - it's actually safer!! CU Rd has no sidewalks and NO shoulder.
Which blows my mind! The Town should have sidewalks to and from all schools! I completely understand why the kids feel safer on the tracks.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:00 PM

26,111 posts, read 24,883,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
It happens in a lot of places. My friend's young teen daughter was killed crossing a highway in Delaware.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:40 PM

7,007 posts, read 8,346,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I know people who work on the UNC campus who tell me there are so many near-misses there every day. Sometimes it the pedestrians crossing the street without looking, sometimes its the drivers not paying attention.
I don’t know what it was with UNC students, but I had many close calls when my kids were in school over there. We had to use extra, extra caution when we drove near the campus. They’d walk right out into the lane of traffic and never look. Scared the hell out of me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or