U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 PM

17,360 posts, read 26,679,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I don’t know what it was with UNC students, but I had many close calls when my kids were in school over there. We had to use extra, extra caution when we drove near the campus. They’d walk right out into the lane of traffic and never look. Scared the hell out of me!

yeah, they're the worst. They act like cars don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 06:02 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
I don’t know what it was with UNC students, but I had many close calls when my kids were in school over there. We had to use extra, extra caution when we drove near the campus. They’d walk right out into the lane of traffic and never look. Scared the hell out of me!

Don't worry - it's like that with many college campuses. I've experienced Emory, GWU, WashU, GA Tech and Tulane. Nobody cares about cars and they all think they have right of way ALL the time.

Would be great to go back to the college years! Would have so much less to worry about than today!

Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 PM

444 posts, read 381,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From66to40 View Post
While I agree that pedestrians shouldn't run out into the street where there are no crosswalks, I have noticed that drivers in NC aren't very respectful of pedestrians in crosswalks. I lived briefly in a pedestrian-friendly area of Charlotte and drivers thought they had the right of way, all day every day. The burbs here are less walkable, so my experience is more limited, but I've noticed pretty much the same attitude.
I’m with you 100%. I wait by the crosswalk and try to make eye contact with drivers, but the cars never stop. They are too busy going 10 over the limit.

I do notice people walking more behind cars backing up in parking lots too. I wouldn’t risk my life that way, I wish people would teach their children not to do this.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,319,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTransplant View Post
Yes, it’s not pedestrian friendly at all. They need more pedestrian bridges and tunnels. There is a pedestrian tunnel under Cary Parkway connecting the greenway near the YMCA. I’m shocked there are not more of them.
people in cary hate paying taxes

Old 10-17-2019, 10:01 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,319,320 times
Quote:
I drive through campus a couple times a week. There are crosswalks everywhere, and people use them. You are supposed to slow down for each one.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree with you to point,but teaching my kids to drive I've tried to teach them more than just "green means go, red means stop". I handle accident claims for a living, it's AMAZING to me how many people don't know the rules of the road and pass down their lack of knowledge to their kids. It's also amazing to me that people don't ever think something like "gee that person on the side of the road might try to cross in front of me, since why else would they be standing there"...no it doesn't make the driver going (legally) 50 mph with a short sight line at fault. But this person has to live with this for the rest of their life. Have you ever talked to someone who caused a fatality?
Great post - all of it

Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 AM

939 posts, read 1,480,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Don't worry - it's like that with many college campuses. I've experienced Emory, GWU, WashU, GA Tech and Tulane. Nobody cares about cars and they all think they have right of way ALL the time.

Would be great to go back to the college years! Would have so much less to worry about than today!
In an environment like a college campus where there are tens of thousands of people all on foot - pedestrians SHOULD have the right of way pretty much all of the time. When you are driving on a college campus, you are on their turf. It is a pedestrian zone. You should be driving slowly enough that it doesn't "scare the crap out of you" when a pedestrian walks across the street in a straght line rather than walking 5 minutes out of their way to a crosswalk. Even at crosswalks, drivers don't yield unless you actually put your foot into the crossing. And even there, drivers still feel aggrivated for having to wait. As if they have had their "rights" trampled on by having to wait for a pedestrian.

Something about being behind the wheel makes you forget that the people outside of your car are ... PEOPLE, not obnoxious obstacles.

When you drive, try to keep your empathy turned on.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 AM

939 posts, read 1,480,243 times
Quote:
They have peripheral vision. They know you're there. They also know you're far enough away to have plenty of time to slow down.

If you're used to life in the suburbs where it's CARS CARS CARS all the time, then this may come as a surprise to you. But people at colleges actually walk for transportation. Having to use extra extra caution when driving on a college campus is not an imposition on you. It is the way things should be.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:14 AM

10,641 posts, read 7,763,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
When you have to walk 1/2 mile to 1 mile on a road like 55 just to get to a crosswalk to safely get to the other side, it's no surprise that some people will just decide that crossing mid-block is a risk they would be willing to take
hopefully, the reality of this consequence will change that. I also question where someone would be on Highway 55 and need to walk that distance. It's not like their driveway is on 55, and they're trying to get to the grocery store across the street.

what do we know about the 3 accidents - have drivers been charged, were the pedestrians in a crosswalk, etc.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM

1,812 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I saw that no charges are expected to be filed in the accident involving the 14 yr old girl who was trying to cross hwy 55 and darted out.

In the community, this is being looked as a suicide attempt. Transgender issues along with bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or