Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM

329 posts, read 249,732 times

Advertisements

I got rear ended at 50mph yesterday morning while I was stopped, with my signal on waiting to turn off of hwy 98 to get to some farmland I rent. I felt ok until lunch yesterday when I started having sore back issues. Now my neck is stiff and I cant move my head backwards because of pain in addition to my back problems. Anyone ever dealt with stuff like this in the Durham area?

Any good doctor suggestions for this kind of thing? I've got the responsible parties insurance info and opened a claim with his company already.

They told me they will pay for any medical and for car damage if he is liable. I dont know how he wouldn't be liable, he rear ended me when I was yielding to oncoming traffic with my signal on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:02 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I would start with a chiropractor, but that’s just me...today.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM

140 posts, read 87,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
I got rear ended at 50mph yesterday morning while I was stopped, with my signal on waiting to turn off of hwy 98 to get to some farmland I rent. I felt ok until lunch yesterday when I started having sore back issues. Now my neck is stiff and I cant move my head backwards because of pain in addition to my back problems. Anyone ever dealt with stuff like this in the Durham area?

Any good doctor suggestions for this kind of thing? I've got the responsible parties insurance info and opened a claim with his company already.

They told me they will pay for any medical and for car damage if he is liable. I dont know how he wouldn't be liable, he rear ended me when I was yielding to oncoming traffic with my signal on...
Sorry for your pain. I can’t recommend anything on the medical side. Just that you should at least see your primary doctor right away.
Did the police come out and document the accident at the scene and assign fault?

Old 07-03-2019, 11:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Start with your primary care doc and some ibuprofen. Most likely mild whiplash. It's pretty typical to not have pain until a day afterwards.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
My wife just went through the same thing, only she was T-boned by someone who went through a stop sign and hit the on the driver's side. Raleigh police investigated and filed an accident report which is available online. You should be able to get a report from the police agency that investigated the accident. At 50 mph, I suspect your vehicle was undrivable or possibly a total loss.

In our case, there are two claim issues; one for property loss and one for personal injury. As posted by String, you should see a doctor first. The property damage is fairly simple to calculate, the injury aspect is another matter. My advice would be not to sign any releases with the insurance company until you're totally satisfied.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:13 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
And very sorry you're having to deal with this. BTDT, not fun. Hope the doc can help with the pain. Good advice to NOT sign on the offer until you know what you are dealing with medical wise. Sometimes that soft tissue stuff can linger.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:24 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
And go online and look up the value of your vehicle. Use that to negotiate a settlement. In our case, our vehicle has been determined to be a total loss. Now we're negotiating with the insurance company on the price settlement.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:16 AM

197 posts, read 208,229 times
I've had the same thing happened to me. I started to feel sharp pain in the back almost 1 week after the accident. I went to a chiropractor, he fixed me good. This was 10+ yrs ago and he's no longer in business but just check Yelp etc. and find a well reviewed chiropractor near you. It's not going to be an easy and quick fix, it's just the nature of chiropractic (I went to the treatment twice a week and maybe for 2 month?), but it worked great for me. Sending you healing thoughts.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 PM

329 posts, read 249,732 times
Thanks all, I went to a nurse practitioner as suggested, that I usually go to and she said I have whiplash and back problems.

As for my farm truck, my hitch absorbed most of the impact. It's perfectly driveable as it's entirely made of sheet steel from the 90s and it's tough as nails, however my hitch was hit so hard the force of the impact actually turned my hitch into a lever and bent portions of my truck frame behind the rear wheels, which is crazy when you consider how tough the steel on the truck is. The other car, which was at fault, had to get towed as it was totaled. I can't tow my farm trailer anymore and now I have to load up multiple lovely 50+lbs objects way up onto the truck bed rather than onto my low, flatbed trailer, in order to get my farm work done. And when your back and neck is messed up that's not fun at all.

I saw the police report today and the officer put the crash on the entirely wrong street and at the entirely wrong speed, so I'm going to have to deal with that. As such I've retained a lawyer as I expect the insurance company won't fairly compensate me for my farm truck. I doubt they would correctly value all of the upgrades I've made to my truck to make farm work easier., nor properly value all the extra pain and hoops I have to jump through now just to water and feed my livestock.

Unfortunately just because I'm hurt, I can't just not feed my livestock. They're still hungry and thirsty regardless of if I'm in pain or not.

Last edited by Backwoods Baptist; 07-04-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2019, 12:02 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Ugh, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary