U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 AM

2,310 posts, read 1,291,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
That is such a good point.

Knowing what I know now, with a cancer diagnosis (hemangiosarcoma), I would not put a pet through chemo again. It doesn't cause any suffering or complications as it does in humans, but with several cancers it doesn't buy the amount of time one might hope, and the expense can be ridiculous.

Three months after her Dx, after an emergency splenectomy followed by 4 rounds of IV chemo and some oral chemotherapy, I had her euthanized, which was the fulfillment of a promise I made to her when she was a wee pup--I promised her I'd never make her hang on, ever, not allow her to suffer, and if and when the day came and she didn't feel well and there wasn't anything I could do to help her, I'd let her go. And that's what I did. She was just shy of 11 yrs old.
I'm sorry. That was too young. Cancer and Golden.

My younger one was 12 1/2 and I felt like that was too young. The older one was 14 1/2 and while that wasn't too young, he was so healthy right up until he wasn't. I guess we were lucky with the younger one because we found out on Monday that his lungs were full of tumors and there was absolutely nothing that could be done and we let him go at home on Tuesday. But we were blindsided by it because he had been absolutely fine two weeks prior and the vet told us (2 weeks before his diagnosis) that he had the bloodwork of a 2 year old dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 09:49 AM

8,787 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The truth of the matter is, veterinary costs are almost always much greater than makes sense to most of us. Our pets benefit from the advances in modern, human medicine, yet we want it to cost substantially less. I figure that if they help keep our friends healthy and vital, it's money well spent. If not, it's definitely way too much to spend. Perspective is everything.
I have no problem with their fees on a line-item basis. I'm fine with that.

My problem was an absurd padding of the bill regarding a simple, but acute, condition; when I brought my dog over the summer for a cut there was an estimate of over $1,000. I asked what was included in that and there was a bunch of lab work, an absurd fee for antibiotics, anesthesia which wasn't needed, etc...And the lab work wasn't a pre-anasthesia panel it was a whole wellness panel. I was thinking straight enough since it was just a bad cut that needed treatment, I wasn't panicking or worrying about losing the dog, just trying to close the garish flap of skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
So sorry to all who have lost pets.

I had a golden who had an aggressive cancer when she was 10. I went to VSH on Tryon Rd and will never use them again. The amount of money I spent over 3 months was insane, but I would have done anything to try and help my girl.
I had a bilateral elbow dysplasia surgery done on a foster at VSH on Tryon and have positive things to say about the care the dog received. They were great in working with the rescue and being respectful of the rescues financial concerns, etc.

Personally I've seen enough cancer in dogs that I won't bother treating it. I'll keep the dog comfortable til I can't and then euthanize. Too many people that I've seen spend thousands to extend a few more months of questionable quality.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 PM

216 posts, read 168,017 times
Ah this brings back all sorts of memories. We owe our canine and feline companions a comfortable death but it is so hard.

I had a very bad experience with VSH at Hope Valley Commons and would never use them. My elderly poodle, who had been ill for a few months, was very ill and in great pain one night and I realised it was time. He absolutely could not settle and at 2AM I called the VSH, to see about euthanizing him. Without skipping a beat, they gave me a price and said they'd do it. No queries about what was wrong with him, how old, what had I been doing to deal with his pain. Only the price.

I rang the Triangle Veterinary Referral Hospital in Durham, and they were actually pretty comforting. We talked for a bit, they made some suggestions, and said that I could bring him in if I thought it necessary.
I have used them since for other, happier urgent repairs, and recommend them.

In the end, with my poodle, I decided to give him extra pain pills, well beyond the usual dose, and by 3:45 AM he was able to settle down. I then brought him to his regular vet who put him to sleep at 8AM. They had him cremated and gave me his ashes. Frankly, I was in such a state I don't clearly remember how much it was; I think they comped the euthanasia and I paid what seemed like a reasonable amount for the cremation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or