U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 AM

8,780 posts, read 6,577,104 times

Advertisements

I had to put down a foster dog this morning; rather shocking since she was only 6 months, and hadn't irritated her incision at the spay site before tonight. Since the whole unpleasant bit of business was resolved before 5:30 AM, I had to take her to an ER rather than my regular vet.

I was quoted $140 for communal cremation (I guess if you had a Labrador you get a quart, Beagles a pint, and yorkies a cup?) and more to guarantee her remains. This was in addition to the euthanasia fee (which I thought was reasonable.) As such, and since the Rescue org would have been paying for it and that money can go to a living dog, I spent my morning digging a doggie-grave in my yard.

I'm asking since this particular veterinary ER left a bad taste in my mouth the last time; bad enough that I said "Give me my dog back and don't do anything." That time it was a simple case of needing stitches and they gave me a four figure estimate that included basic lab work that wouldn't have affected him getting stitches that night. For that reason, I do not trust the ER portion of this organization.

So if you've lost a pet, what was the cost of cremation, or was one, and what was the cost of euthanasia?

Also, anyone recommend an Veterinary ER?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 AM

770 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I had to put down a foster dog this morning; rather shocking since she was only 6 months, and hadn't irritated her incision at the spay site before tonight. Since the whole unpleasant bit of business was resolved before 5:30 AM, I had to take her to an ER rather than my regular vet.

I was quoted $140 for communal cremation (I guess if you had a Labrador you get a quart, Beagles a pint, and yorkies a cup?) and more to guarantee her remains. This was in addition to the euthanasia fee (which I thought was reasonable.) As such, and since the Rescue org would have been paying for it and that money can go to a living dog, I spent my morning digging a doggie-grave in my yard.

I'm asking since this particular veterinary ER left a bad taste in my mouth the last time; bad enough that I said "Give me my dog back and don't do anything." That time it was a simple case of needing stitches and they gave me a four figure estimate that included basic lab work that wouldn't have affected him getting stitches that night. For that reason, I do not trust the ER portion of this organization.

So if you've lost a pet, what was the cost of cremation, or was one, and what was the cost of euthanasia?

Also, anyone recommend an Veterinary ER?

That sucks man. ER vets are really less than ideal. They bend you over when you are in time of most need. One of our dogs ate an acorn up in MA that lodged in his stomach, blocking food/water, over President's Day weekend. ER vet was the only option and basically they were like "we will call after every procedure and ask to keep going". They found the blockage once they hit $3,700.

I don't have a great recommendation on an ER vet; we use Rolesville/Youngsville Vet Hospital; Dr. Baker and team are fantastic. They work with Wake Vet and Urgent Care in Knightdale as their emergency vet (although we haven't used them specifically before; I would trust anything Dr. Baker told us)

We put my wife's Silky Terrier down last January (2018) and between euthanasia and cremation (she is in a wooden box on my wife's nightstand) , I think the all in bill at the end was around $300.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:20 AM

7,442 posts, read 5,192,572 times
We used Lap of Love: https://www.lapoflove.com/Locations-...-Cary-Triangle

Really impressed with the whole experience. They came to our house, were VERY comforting to dogs and humans, gave a very peaceful euthinasia, and took our dog when they left, leaving us a paw print and a few loc's of hair. I think the entire thing was $400-ish. More if we wanted the ashes back (we didn't).

We have multiple huskies, and the alpha came down suddently with Cancer, and went from vibrant to not well at all in a matter of about 6 weeks. They worked with us, and our dog died comfortably in our arms. The other dogs got closure (very important with any pack, huskies are very "pack-ish".)

Could not give a higher recommendation.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
That sucks man. ER vets are really less than ideal. They bend you over when you are in time of most need. One of our dogs ate an acorn up in MA that lodged in his stomach, blocking food/water, over President's Day weekend. ER vet was the only option and basically they were like "we will call after every procedure and ask to keep going". They found the blockage once they hit $3,700.

I don't have a great recommendation on an ER vet; we use Rolesville/Youngsville Vet Hospital; Dr. Baker and team are fantastic. They work with Wake Vet and Urgent Care in Knightdale as their emergency vet (although we haven't used them specifically before; I would trust anything Dr. Baker told us)
I wish I knew about that one. They're right in my neighborhood (I live in Knightdale.) I love my primary vet (Magnolia on Capital) but the ER they have on their answering machine I'm on the fence about.

Yeah they quoted us $6K-$8K before they did anything. I knew she had lost a LOT of blood and a bowel resection was questionable for long term prognosis. I knew she had damaged the GI tract since I had it on my pants from the drive in. The rescue is usually pretty good at raising funds for needed procedures through fundraisers of all sorts, but this was such an acute and desperate situation. I sit on the board and know the finances and this just wasn't going to happen.

Quote:
We put my wife's Silky Terrier down last January (2018) and between euthanasia and cremation (she is in a wooden box on my wife's nightstand) , I think the all in bill at the end was around $300.
^That makes me feel better. They were at $100 for the Euthanasia, and would have been roughly $300 for the box of her ashes.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:40 AM

770 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I wish I knew about that one. They're right in my neighborhood (I live in Knightdale.) I love my primary vet (Magnolia on Capital) but the ER they have on their answering machine I'm on the fence about.

Yeah they quoted us $6K-$8K before they did anything. I knew she had lost a LOT of blood and a bowel resection was questionable for long term prognosis. I knew she had damaged the GI tract since I had it on my pants from the drive in. The rescue is usually pretty good at raising funds for needed procedures through fundraisers of all sorts, but this was such an acute and desperate situation. I sit on the board and know the finances and this just wasn't going to happen.

^That makes me feel better. They were at $100 for the Euthanasia, and would have been roughly $300 for the box of her ashes.

So was it a botched spaying?

Old 10-17-2019, 10:00 AM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times
Condolences to everyone for their losses. (We're very close to that with our 16-17 year old Schnauzer-something rescue). JONOV, thank you for fostering.

One of the MANY reasons we go to Bayview Vet Hospital is because they have emergency hours. Up to 10pm 365 days a year (I think). You call them, one of their vets comes to the office. It's about 20 minutes from our home, but I'd rather go there than to a ER that I've no experience with.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
So was it a botched spaying?
I don't think so. I think she chewed it. But I don't know. In the last couple days she hadn't irritated the incision site though.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:59 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,937,852 times
We have always handled euthanasia and cremation separately. We've heard far too many stories about people requesting and paying for individual when in fact the place did communal. I have no problem if people opt for communal (and in your case where the funds could go to rescuing another dog it makes sense) but for those of us that request individual and pay for it they should do exactly that.

Therefore we take our pets directly to the crematory and request an individual cremation and my husband goes in and watches to ensure the remains we get back are our pet. Usually they do the individual one's first thing in the morning. There is another reason why we also take our pet there rather than them being delivered by someone else. We saw animals being delivered to the crematory one time and the way they were throwing around those body bags like trash was so disturbing to us.

As for cost, it was less than $100 for euthanasia and it was around $200 for individual cremation. Prices for individual cremation were dependent upon size and how long it usually took according to my husband. Our dogs were larger approx 100lb's - 140lb's.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:21 AM

12,417 posts, read 22,091,910 times
The box we have was done at a place called Faithful Friends. We too went to Magnolia for the last day. They had a nice room away from the hustle and bustle. I have no idea about the cost but remember it being extremely reasonable overall. I'd look it up but I actually but it on a different credit card that I have since canceled. $1-- something sounds right for the whole process including box.

You might be able to get a better price direct from Faithful Friends or maybe not as they may have agreements and special rates with vets.

I think you made the right call digging a grave. That is much better use of funds for other dogs.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:51 AM

157 posts, read 394,019 times
Faithful Friends is awesome. They handle everything and will take good care of your pet. We have about 8 engraved urns from them and they are all beautiful. For a medium size dog with urn it's about $200. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or