U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 05:02 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ummmm, really?

More/Better than New Mexico? Sure

Compared to the other technology/population centers in the country, I would have to disagree.
I'm my neighborhood we have Spectrum, ATT, and Google Fiber. In Boston, a much bigger metro area, I had Verizon and Comcast.

I dunno I think three providers providing near gigabit speeds is pretty rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 06:08 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm my neighborhood we have Spectrum, ATT, and Google Fiber. In Boston, a much bigger metro area, I had Verizon and Comcast.

You're lucky you have Google Fiber in your west Cary neighborhood. I'm still waiting for it and just sticking with Spectrum until they come. They laid some lines in several weeks ago but no news yet.

These days, I bet if I call Spectrum and tell them that I'm switching to Google and cancel my membership, they probably don't even care!

Old 10-17-2019, 06:54 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

These days, I bet if I call Spectrum and tell them that I'm switching to Google and cancel my membership, they probably don't even care!
Yeah I had a billing issue a while back that they couldn't figure out, and I asked them to fix it or I was going elsewhere. They didn't care.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:23 PM

7,953 posts, read 9,020,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

Spectrum knows, right down to the street, who has access to Google Fiber, so if you say you're switching to a provider they *know* you don't have, they'll probably find that amusing on some level. I switched from Spectrum to AT&T, the only choices I had.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:04 AM

3,647 posts, read 4,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Try these guys. https://www.ncuc.net/ AT&T has to listen to them, and they will.
The Utilities Commission regulates AT&T on the voice/telecom side, but I'm not sure about the Internet side.

For the OP, the good thing is that Bermuda grass spreads (vs fescue), so it should fill in any gaps, although with cold weather moving in, it is about to go dormant.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:08 AM

34,291 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Two years ago when ATT and CBS got into a tinkling match and NFL wasn't available, my neighbor jumped from UVerse to Spectrum.
My ATT UVerse was down for a day until we decided it wasn't a problem in the house and called ATT.
ATT gave me a quick service call within hours and saw that Spectrum had sliced my fiber cable running their service line to my football fan neighbor.

Ain' none of them perfect.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:17 AM

772 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

No I would agree that 3 GB providers is nice. I guess my point was more like this; in MA, we lived 45 miles from Boston, and while we also had 2 ISPs, both were GB providers.

I live ~15 miles from Raleigh and can choose between 300Mbps Spectrum or 50Mbps CenturyLink.

I guess if I lived in Cary, my opinion would be different, but I find it funny that a suburb (WF) that really isn't far from downtown, is limited the way that it is.

I could understand it more if I lived in say Henderson, which is ~50 miles from Raleigh.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:28 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,830,324 times
Sounds egregious and brazenly careless. I'd be upset, too. Even with crab grass.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM

21 posts, read 19,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The Utilities Commission regulates AT&T on the voice/telecom side, but I'm not sure about the Internet side.

For the OP, the good thing is that Bermuda grass spreads (vs fescue), so it should fill in any gaps, although with cold weather moving in, it is about to go dormant.
According to https://publicstaff.nc.gov/consumer-resources

"Complaints about municipal utility systems, broadband and internet providers, cable or satellite television providers, wireless phone providers, or propane providers can be addressed to the NC Attorney General's Office by dialing 1-877-5-NO-SCAM (1-877-566-7226) or 919-716-6000. "

I haven't called yet. I plan to give AT&T a few days to contact me following my complaint. If I don't hear from them or if their response is unsatisfactory I plan to call the NC AG office or take this through small claims court.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:24 AM

1,343 posts, read 841,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
We have three where I live. Verizon FIOS (940 mbps max), Comcast Xfinity (200 mbps max), and Hughes Net (25 mbps max).

Allconnect.com says Raleigh has AT&T (1000 mbps max), Spectrum (300 mbps max), and Hughes Net (25 mbps max).

Where are you that you have FiOS?

I used to have it in NY, we were very happy with it for the 10 years we were a client. They were definitely the best in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary