U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,065,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's kind of absurd.

People worry about being safe, both personally safe and their belongings. DV is awful but it's generally contained between the two partners.
And things like gang violence are normally targeted as well. Just because it's not random doesn't make it ok IMO - you still have people that are willing to kill others, which is a big deal. If someone is capable of killing someone domestically, they're certainly capable of other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 01:54 PM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It was a few weeks back - I think off Green Hope School road or something. Nothing came of it, it ended up not being suspicious I think, but they had the place roped off in tape for a day or two. Again, nothing worrisome.

Edit :. I stand corrected the West Cary one was just a death that they originally thought suspicious, but ended up not being. Only two shootings this month.
Oh yeah, i remember that.

And yeah I agree with you about the domestic stuff....this dead guy at Extended Stay was in the parking lot, who knows what could have happened if he stumbled across someone who confronted him with a gun in his hand after hearing the shots inside the hotel. Sucks all the way 'round.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:51 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,392,674 times
Yeah, I agree here as well about domestic violence being "maybe" contained and not to be concerned of. But on the other hand, this type of individual exists and if they can shoot/kill someone else, then that's enough to worry about. Yes, not to the level of a "regular" criminal but it still exists. Do people really think it's THAT easy to just shoot someone? Even your significant other who cheats on you?

The above is why everyone in Cary gets concerned about because they thought they were moving into a safe area.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 AM

10,578 posts, read 5,539,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
The above is why everyone in Cary gets concerned about because they thought they were moving into a safe area.
Everyone in Cary? I’m in Cary, and it doesn’t concern me in the least.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:32 AM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Me neither. These incidents happen everywhere. They are just hushed up a lot of places ...in my old town in NY you only heard about stuff like this through the grapevine. It was like Stepford, and the lid was put on everything! You'd hear it whispered about at games, at the pool, etc.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Doesn't concern me either - I'm just telling you what I hear from just walking around all the neighborhoods, hanging out at Parkside Town commons and Cary Park on what people have to say about this stuff. Since I've lived in many different parts of the US, it's easy to ask this kind of stuff from all of these out-of-state/country folks.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:35 PM

10,578 posts, read 5,539,934 times
I haven't talked to anyone in Cary who is concerned by this sort of thing. The only people who ever make an issue of these events are the ones who enjoy attempting the old "see, it's not just Durham!" claim, until it gets shot down as apples and oranges.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:45 AM

640 posts, read 662,057 times
I was with a bunch of folks who live in Cary who were concerned by this incident as these could very well have been their neighbors. Their kids could potentially have been in school with kids who come from homes with domestic violence. Yes, it may not be immediate danger but to think that it should not be worrisome at all is just emblematic of our societal antipathy to gun violence.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I haven't talked to anyone in Cary who is concerned by this sort of thing. The only people who ever make an issue of these events are the ones who enjoy attempting the old "see, it's not just Durham!" claim, until it gets shot down as apples and oranges.

Well, you may not have - but I have spoken with plenty in Cary who ARE concerned. Just as Jaiho said, people do not like trigger happy people whether it's domestic violence or not. Nobody likes being neighbors to trigger-happy people.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:57 AM

8,787 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
And things like gang violence are normally targeted as well. Just because it's not random doesn't make it ok IMO - you still have people that are willing to kill others, which is a big deal. If someone is capable of killing someone domestically, they're certainly capable of other things.
Gangs are a communal scourge. They make money through violence; extortion, drug dealing, pimping, and robbing; they lead vulnerable kids astray into lives of violent crime.

I'm not saying that a DV murder isn't a big deal, or that its "OK." I'm not saying that the killer shouldn't be locked away for a long, long time. I am saying that it isn't cause for the community to be concerned about the safety of their neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary