Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,208,172 times

Advertisements

I remember reading that there's really no need for regular HVAC maintenance. I also know some people do it twice a year. Last time I had someone out to do a routine maintenance, I spent almost 300 bucks and had no idea what they actually did.

Is it necessary? If so what should they actually be doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 10:32 PM

6,649 posts, read 5,543,546 times
I get my HVAC system checked once a year, definitely not $300 and my guy ( http://www.santaair.com/ ) gives tons of advice/reminders about stuff I can do myself to extend the life of my unit. I don’t know 100% what he does but some capacitors have been replaced, Freon gets topped off etc....

I guess it depends on the person but with such an expensive and critical component of my house, I’m happy to pay someone $80 a year to make sure things are running smoothly.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,208,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I’m happy to pay someone $80 a year to make sure things are running smoothly.
I had a feeling I got ripped off

Old 10-17-2019, 11:07 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,170,054 times
I just paid Comfort Monster $75 for routine maintenance. He said once a year was sufficient.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,549,064 times
I do it, and it's one of those things where every time they're here I wonder if I really need to be paying for that. But my system is at least 10 years old, possibly 15, and I'm just going with it until it dies out completely.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:57 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 3 days ago)

43,073 posts, read 76,614,383 times
26 year old split system.
I had it looked at 6-7 years ago, and again this spring.

16 year old dual-fuel packaged unit.
Had it looked at three years ago and this spring. He had to put a pound of refrigerant in this spring, so I will have it looked at again next spring.

The only reason to have a system which has not previously shown issues looked at annually (or bi-annually), is to stay on your service provider's "good list," which may help you get quick emergency service during peak season. I don't have that worry.

It may be worthwhile to have the outside condenser coils cleaned every few years to maintain efficiency.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 AM

4,070 posts, read 4,804,146 times
If you have a gas furnace for heating then its a good idea to have the heat exchanger inspected for cracks which can be very dangerous if left unchecked. There are also normal wear items like contactors, capacitors, inducer motors, fan motors etc that can fail under high demand stressful environmental conditions.

They also inspect for mold growth in the coil pan and poor condensate drainage. All of these things can be prevented if caught early. It's also important to keep the air filters clean which is the number one cause for HVAC system failure. HVAC systems need lots of air flow for efficiency and when that is heavily restricted by dirty filters then somethings going to eventually fail.

The key is finding an experienced HVAC technician that takes the time and does the required checks. I've had some that were in-and-out in 15 minutes or less so they are obviously not thoroughly checking everything. Others may try to up-sell parts or services that aren't really necessary, so you have to be careful and find someone you can trust.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 3 days ago)

43,073 posts, read 76,614,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
If you have a gas furnace for heating then its a good idea to have the heat exchanger inspected for cracks which can be very dangerous if left unchecked. There are also normal wear items like contactors, capacitors, inducer motors, fan motors etc that can fail under high demand stressful environmental conditions.

They also inspect for mold growth in the coil pan and poor condensate drainage. All of these things can be prevented if caught early. It's also important to keep the air filters clean which is the number one cause for HVAC system failure. HVAC systems need lots of air flow for efficiency and when that is heavily restricted by dirty filters then somethings going to eventually fail.

The key is finding an experienced HVAC technician that takes the time and does the required checks. I've had some that were in-and-out in 15 minutes or less so they are obviously not thoroughly checking everything. Others may try to up-sell parts or services that aren't really necessary, so you have to be careful and find someone you can trust.

If you have a fuel-burning appliance, carbon monoxide detectors are strongly recommended, and I believe are required in new construction.
We have one on each level.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:18 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,660,887 times
We converted our fireplace to gas a couple of years ago. We needed to show that we had carbon monoxide detectors on both floors before the permit was signed off.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,799,402 times
+1 Starglow Spot-on recommendations.

and +10 for
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you have a fuel-burning appliance, carbon monoxide detectors are strongly recommended, and I believe are required in new construction.
We have one on each level.
Locations of the detectors is VERY dependent on the layout of your house, excepting it's a no-brainer to have one at the top of the stairs, and one in every occupied bedroom.
Regardless of who does it, don't forget to test the CO detectors, and replace batteries as listed.

Dirty filters (which can lead to dirty coils) is not only bad health wise, but can increase the load on your fan motor, costing you money.

As a professional HVAC engineer, I'd recommend for the average person: Twice a year inspections and light-cleanings, filter replacements, etc. A gas furnace system will take a bit more inspection and will need more preventative maintenance, than electric heat.
If you are DIY "handy": 3-4 times a year: dust off and replace filter(s) for the inside unit, and hose-clean the outside unit, and go with an annual professional inspection.

For the regular inspections, recognize that the repair folks are busiest right at the start of the heating season, and the cooling season, so if you pre- schedule your inspections a month beforehand, many shops are slack and will give you a discount.

And: like everything else with moving parts, they will need more TLC as they get older.
In general, residential split-system HVAC units have an average lifespan of about 15 years. (Better care = longer life, vice versa for shorter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: