Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 05:20 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

SheriffTruman made this post on the Real Estate Forum, and it relates directly to folks who plan to work with a production builder on new construction in the Triangle.
Too often, you can expect a "We can fix that (If we want to)" approach to quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It gets worse. All of the big nationals have eliminated the project manager/ construction manager position as it used to be. Instead of a superintendent running 5-8 houses and a CM/PM running the community as a whole, with several Supers under them, they have a department in Atlanta or Dallas pushing the paperwork and maybe a Regional CM type position over a whole metro area, and each on-site person (they have various names, from builder, Project manager, Superintendant) is running 20 plus houses at various stages. I talked to one guy the other day that is building 40 townhomes by himself over about an 6 month period.

The on site people are banned from going on any roof or ladder or actually doing anything at all. There is no actual control of the project, just a never ending attempt at putting out fires. Turnover is very high, as well as burnout. I’ve had a client engage me for inspections and find out at the pre-drywall inspection that they just changed Superintendents, and then at the final it’s yet another one. That’s three on one build.

Then when it goes to the warranty department it’s a whole new turnover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 06:30 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
That is why I feel it is so important to buy local. The local builders need to keep their reputation. Local builders are not only for custom/semi custom homes, there are local builders that build entry level homes too. It really pays to do your research.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:20 AM

329 posts, read 249,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
That is why I feel it is so important to buy local. The local builders need to keep their reputation. Local builders are not only for custom/semi custom homes, there are local builders that build entry level homes too. It really pays to do your research.

I would extend that not only for home builders, but for everything possible. Local is almost always better.

Usually you know the folks you're buying from, you know their reputation, and they know you.

That's especially needed when purchasing something as expensive as a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: