U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 2,592 times

Advertisements

wow thanks so much for all of this information! We have a much different school board system where we are now. will definitely look more into this! Certainly changes perspective on areas! thanks to all who have responded!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 06:34 AM

34,300 posts, read 59,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontomom2019 View Post
wow thanks so much for all of this information! We have a much different school board system where we are now. will definitely look more into this! Certainly changes perspective on areas! thanks to all who have responded!

Many neighborhoods retain their school assignments for many years.

So, while the potential for reassignment exists, and should not be ignored, there are areas to buy where that potential is very high, and also where it is lower.

Your budget should let you into a decent 3 bedroom rental, but good ones go quickly. You don't get to think about them for a week or two, or pick from a great variety of choices.
A similar purchase budget puts you in/around $400,000, which should also be workable, with some limitations.
Many communities have community pools, yes. Some are more appealing than others, but there are pools.

As mentioned above, no commuter trains to Raleigh.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,067,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
While true, it should be noted that the more stable school zones generally don't rate as highly as those in unstable zones. It's up to the OP to decide whether test scores are a factor in choosing a school.

Also if the school board gets its way regarding the diversity plan mentioned above, you can be sure there will be chaos all across the county, even in zones with more stable assignments.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 AM

17,360 posts, read 26,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

So, while the potential for reassignment exists, and should not be ignored, there are areas to buy where that potential is very high, and also where it is lower.

This USED to be true but the BOE wants to balance the schools socioeconomically and they are starting with small neighborhoods...like Ashley Woods and the houses off Blanton Dr. They want to not only reassign them to a different school but a different calendar. They are also using inaccurate heat maps of where they building will be - building that won't occur for decades if ever, and building that is already zoned commercial. This is an activist BOE with an activist superintendent. Jim Martin is on record asking how can they get people stop buying and building in western Wake. They are taking electives away at the high school level and making them "magnet only". They will shortly be issuing a survey asking people questions that are designed to let the BOE figure out how to make magnets more attractive to people in western Wake. Ironically this leads to more of a glare on "inequity" as you will find parents funding things....like the DDMS parents who funded the orchestra this year. And they wonder why people are fleeing for charters??? Oh, yeah, they want that funding CUT too.

It's not about overcrowded schools anymore. White Oak Elementary isn't close to capacity but they are reassigning White Oak Preserve to SALEM - again not just a school change but a calendar change. Alston Ridge MS is WAY under capacity. And so on.

Aside from that they took $17 MILLION from the construction bond to buy new laptops for all the teachers, but we have posters like annabanana stating that her school doesn't even have working water fountains. West Cary Middle is a dump, the bathroom doors are as high as my chest and don't close properly. My friend's daughter got a UTI because she won't go to the bathroom there, I don't blame here, I wouldn't either and I'm a grown arse adult just there for a volleyball game. Think every teacher needs a new laptop? Think it's ok to take that money from a construction bond? I don't. i also don't think there's any reason to be building middle schools with auxiliary gyms. Save that for the high school level where that space is needed. And so on.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 AM

640 posts, read 662,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontomom2019 View Post
Hi there! We are a family of five(kids aged 4-10yrs) from Toronto and considering moving to Raleigh for my husband's job and career- he is in IT. He can work from home but access within an hour to airport is important. We are looking at Cary, NC to begin with to rent a place. We are hoping to find a home with walkability - even just nature- not necessarily restaurants and shops. Are there a lot of communities with pools, parks? Not sure about what school district yet. We are hoping to put our children in the public school system. Our budget could go to $2500/month, would prefer a single family home with 3+bed. Anyways looking for community names to investigate as well as school districts. We are thinking Cary for now as my husband travels a ton and it looks like a really safe place to live, I am on my own with kids 2+ wks a month so looking to build a community. Where we live in Toronto we have quick access by train to downtown in ten mins or 15 mins by car with out traffic- is that approx the same of Cary to Raleigh? Initial research here so any advice, input much appreciated! Thank you!
Budget is easily achievable unless you want to live in DT Raleigh and even there I believe the rent may be fairly achievable although schools may not be as desirable in DT Raleigh; I will note that I am not an expert on schools. You'd have to travel quite outside in the Triangle area to be actually more than 45 minutes from the airport even with traffic. I want to say that North Hills may be a good area for you to look into. Fairly easy to get something for $2,500 for a 3 bedroom in single bedroom and good walkability. The airport is about 20 minutes

I know you haven't asked for thoughts on comparisons but I should note that we pay for Healthcare in the US. My wife and I are going to dole out $8,500 this year in insurance premium and out of pocket maximum and this is a result of childbirth.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:34 PM

2,637 posts, read 2,854,446 times
In the heyday of Northern Telecom/Nortel, probably 1,000 Canadians moved here... mostly from Toronto and Ottawa, some from Montreal.

You can get affordable Leafs tickets when they visit.

Unfortunately the Canadian government closed the Raleigh consulate some years ago. But the embassy in DC is not that far away.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,067,623 times
Here's WCPSS's stance on test scores, posted in this year's re-assignment parent feedback forum:

https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/disc...school-ratings

It feels to me that this year's re-assignments are a test.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 3,516 times
You might want to look at Chapel Hill and Carrboro. While its not as built up as Toronto is, it definitely has more of a biking/walking vibe, especially around Franklin Street, and also has free public bus transit around town. Additionally Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a city school district so all schools are in a small geographic footprint and the need for massive shifts in student assignments is less frequent and dramatic. Additionally the schools are arguably the best in the state. It is still only about 30 minutes from RDU, so your husband shouldn't have a problem catching flights. The only downsides to Chapel Hill and Carrboro are that property taxes are high (might not be a big deal coming from Toronto) and home prices are high as well. We have several friends that are one car families and make due just fine.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:59 AM

17,360 posts, read 26,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Here's WCPSS's stance on test scores, posted in this year's re-assignment parent feedback forum:

https://wcpss.granicusideas.com/disc...school-ratings

It feels to me that this year's re-assignments are a test.
Absolutely! That's why they are starting with small, stand alone-ish neighborhoods. They do not want people buying and building in western Wake. They are ACTIVELY trying to change the real estate market there. Since the school district and the towns are distinct entities, they can't control the building. In other areas where the school district and the town are one and the same the schools actively work to protect home values. Not here in WCPSS. This is their work around. Buying in west Cary (or west Apex, now)? You're gonna get shipped out farther east (even though your job is likely north and/or west). This means there will also be less parental involvement in the schools which again creates a balance with schools where there is already little to no parental involvement. It also keeps parents from knowing what's going on with curriculum changes (like the new math and ELA curriculums).

Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 PM

8 posts, read 2,592 times
thanks so much for all of this information. Love the look of Chapel Hill and Carrboro- thanks for mentioning as they weren't even on our radar!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or