U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 3,484 times

Advertisements

Glad to help! If you come check it out and have any questions about specific locations around town, apartments, neighborhoods, schools, etc and want an opinion outside of a realtor, feel free to message back on here or a direct message. My wife and moved here about ten years ago and we have two kids in the city school district and have done both apartment living and now have a house. We are big fans of the area as well as the rest of the Triangle. There are a lot of great things about Chapel Hill/Carrboro and the rest of the Triangle. It is quite different from Toronto though! I've been to a couple of conferences up there for work and always enjoy visiting Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 05:09 PM

8 posts, read 2,506 times
thank you so much- I am hoping to come to Raleigh with my oldest two sometime in the next couple of months to look at the different communities, specifically Chapel Hill and Carborro. From what I have read on the schools, they all look great! Anywhere people would suggest as more "Local haunts" when we come to town as opposed to generic shops/restaurants? We are fairly open to anything, my kids are 7 and 10, any suggestions on places/parks to show them would be appreciated too! My hope is we can be in Carborro over a weekend to check out the Farmer's market. Again, thanks to all for taking time to reply to my post!

Old 10-23-2019, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 3,484 times
A few restaurants and cool places to go around Chapel Hill and Carrboro:

Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen: Over in Chapel Hill, but some of the best chicken biscuits ever. Really like everything they make.
Mellow Mushroom: Good pizza with lots of different toppings. Also the location is cool and funky. If the weather is warm they open the big garage doors on one side to allow it to be semi open.
Al's Burger Shack: Rated one of the best burger joints in the country. The Franklin Street location is the original. It can be busy at peak times but the line usually moves fast.
Morehead Planetarium: Neat spot downtown on Franklin Street. Kids might enjoy that; mine do! While your down there you could walk around Coker Arboretum and McCorkle Place and get the feel of the UNC campus.
Carrburritos: If you like burritos this place is amazing. Its kind of a hole in the wall but is fantastic. My whole family loves it.
The Baxter: Beer Arcade. If its earlier in the day the kids can go. All the games are originals from the 80's and 90's. Its right behind Al's Burger Shack, so you can bring food in from there, just have to buy drinks from them. All the games are $.25-$.50. Double check the time though to make sure its kid friendly, as I've made that mistake before.
Maple View Farms: A couple miles northwest of Carrboro is Maple View Farms. Its a great local dairy that makes their own ice cream which is fantastic. They have a great place to get some ice cream and sit in a rocking chair on the front porch and look out over the fields. We love going there.
Kidzu Children's Museum: Fun museum for smaller children in University Mall. That mall in general is odd. It has a great movie theater on one end (Silverspot), a nice gourmet cooking place on the other (Southern Season), some good places to eat (City Kitchen, Bartaco) and Kidzu, but that is about it. Just kind of weird. The big mall for the area is Southpoint. Just a few miles away in Durham. Also if you want a great place for the kids to go check out, Durham has the Museum of Life and Science.

Also just a tool for helping look at places around here, this is the CHCCS Attendance Zone map:

CHCCS

Walking zones are protected and cannot be rezoned to another school. Also they don't get bus service there, the kids are expected to walk. For the most part though they don't rezone unless a school is super overcrowded or they open a new one, and even then it would probably be towards the edges of the attendance zones. Most of the movement is at the elementary school level, and they've only opened one new one in the decade we've been here. My kids are in middle and high school level now, so less of a concern for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or