U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 2,592 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We are a family of five(kids aged 4-10yrs) from Toronto and considering moving to Raleigh for my husband's job and career- he is in IT. He can work from home but access within an hour to airport is important. We are looking at Cary, NC to begin with to rent a place. We are hoping to find a home with walkability - even just nature- not necessarily restaurants and shops. Are there a lot of communities with pools, parks? Not sure about what school district yet. We are hoping to put our children in the public school system. Our budget could go to $2500/month, would prefer a single family home with 3+bed. Anyways looking for community names to investigate as well as school districts. We are thinking Cary for now as my husband travels a ton and it looks like a really safe place to live, I am on my own with kids 2+ wks a month so looking to build a community. Where we live in Toronto we have quick access by train to downtown in ten mins or 15 mins by car with out traffic- is that approx the same of Cary to Raleigh? Initial research here so any advice, input much appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by torontomom2019; 10-19-2019 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 09:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,024,140 times
"...any advice, input much appreciated!"

1. trains, subway, etc....none.
in our opinion, you will need 2 cars.
2. Cary is where most C-D posters target.
as a result, demand drives higher prices.
3. Cary to Raleigh could be "step across the street".
they are that close at the borders, but, in general,
15 minutes would not get you out of Cary during
prime school/work hours due to the newcomer influx.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:06 PM

612 posts, read 634,558 times
Toronto is absolutely nothing like Raleigh - no trains from Cary to Raleigh. You really need to visit before making any plans at all. There’s only one school district for a large area including Cary it’s Wake County Schools.

Come and visit

Old 10-19-2019, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! Yes my husband has been to Raleigh many times and loves the scene, but living there is different than his work trips for sure! I am hoping to do initial research myself and come for a visit with the kids and see if it's a fit! From what I have read it seems like a beautiful place with accessibility to many areas within the US that we would love to visit and show our children! Really appreciate the insights! Thank you!

Old 10-19-2019, 09:13 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,067,623 times
Are you moving here by choice, or is your husbands job requiring you to move?

Old 10-19-2019, 09:15 PM

this would be by choice.. also to increase future opps in his career. It's a time of life where if we are going to go anywhere with our kids, the upcoming school year is the time to do it.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:19 PM

17,360 posts, read 26,685,459 times
Most of the suburbs here would check your boxes. There is easy access to the entire east coast from here...proximity to the airport not an issue. There is a county based school district, it's not by town. You'll need a car, public transport isn't a thing here.

You're really late to the party if you want to move your kids for the 2020-21 school year, research-wise.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:19 PM

5,629 posts, read 4,067,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontomom2019 View Post
this would be by choice.. also to increase future opps in his career. It's a time of life where if we are going to go anywhere with our kids, the upcoming school year is the time to do it.
if public schools are important to you and you end up choosing Wake County, I would do plenty of research on the overcrowding issues and the school system itself before choosing a place to plant roots. Watch the school board meetings and school board work sessions (available online) to get a better feel for what is going on now, and what's planned for the future.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,024,140 times
per your post:
"Not sure about what school district yet."
no one does.
Wake county "redistricts" whenever.
basing your home purchase upon the
current school district is a gamble
for the long-term.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:36 PM

17,360 posts, read 26,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
per your post:
"Not sure about what school district yet."
no one does.
Wake county "redistricts" whenever.
basing your home purchase upon the
current school district is a gamble
for the long-term.
Especially with Wake County public schools' diversity plan, they will be finding creative ways to send kids far from home in an effort to balance the schools. DO NOT move here expecting to settle in a set of schools for the long term. It's not happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or