U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 PM

10,625 posts, read 7,763,837 times

Advertisements

If you want an actual pig cooked, to be "picked" at the party, then try Redneck BBQ Labs or the guy who someday is going to open his brick and mortar in Knightdale.

If you want someone to supply everything in pans they'll keep warm/cold, then Clyde Cooper's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 02:50 PM

319 posts, read 136,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Thems be fightin' words from what I've been told BB
Our Pastor once mentioned in jest in a sermon that "if your barbeque has enough vinegar in it to be used to clean your house you oughtn't be eating it". We almost had a good old Baptist church split Haha, just kidding (but he did say that lol).

I love Lexington BBQ, and tolerate our Eastern. However, I think all us North Carolinians band together and wholeheartedly say "NO" to that yellow blasphemy down in SC.

In NC, the higher in elevation you get, the more ketchup base you get in your BBQ, and sometimes, if you get waaaaay up in the hollers in the Blue Ridge and Smokies you'll find you some "red slaw" with a side of poke sallet! Mmmmm!

Old 10-21-2019, 02:55 PM

7,445 posts, read 5,192,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
And stay away from that vinegar mess less'n you're trying to clean yourself out. Our western BBQ sauce is 10x better, but either of our NC sauces are better than that nasty mustard based stuff from our odd southern neighbor. They're a bit strange down there haha.
Fake news!

Old 10-21-2019, 03:02 PM

771 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Our Pastor once mentioned in jest in a sermon that "if your barbeque has enough vinegar in it to be used to clean your house you oughtn't be eating it". We almost had a good old Baptist church split Haha, just kidding (but he did say that lol).

I love Lexington BBQ, and tolerate our Eastern. However, I think all us North Carolinians band together and wholeheartedly say "NO" to that yellow blasphemy down in SC.

In NC, the higher in elevation you get, the more ketchup base you get in your BBQ, and sometimes, if you get waaaaay up in the hollers in the Blue Ridge and Smokies you'll find you some "red slaw". Mmmmm!
Thats a great story.

Before I moved here, all I really knew was KC or Texas BBQ sauce, which are both more sweet and tomato based. I wouldn't even have considered putting a vinegar base on pulled pork.

I got my mind changed right quick when we arrived. Now I am all Eastern and the wife is Western (although I will use some of the Cackalacky Cheerwine sweet sauce when I do a pulled pork at home)

Can't say I have ever tried SC BBQ sauce and even though I have some German heritage in me, I don't use mustard much outside a giant soft pretzel or maybe a stone steak.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 PM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Our neighborhood does a pig pickin' Oktoberfest every year and I think only one year it rained....I think they still had it. Another year it was pretty chilly. It's only been going on 6-7 years. Like GVoR half the neighborhood brings sides and half brings desserts.

Any idea of the cost?

Old 10-21-2019, 04:39 PM

853 posts, read 576,976 times
So far the recommendations have been Raleigh-based. I've been to several events catered by Bullock's of Durham that included bbq, chicken, and sides. I know people who love Picnic but I haven't been there (well, I haven't been there yet).

I'm pretty sure any of the bbq places can handle a large catering order.

Weather is an issue you consider. Having an indoor space or picnic shelter available is a good back up plan.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Any idea of the cost?

My buddy paid something around 1.99/lb for the whole hog he bought at Nahunta Pork Center at the state farmers market

Old 10-21-2019, 04:43 PM

15,456 posts, read 19,663,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
My buddy paid something around 1.99/lb for the whole hog he bought at Nahunta Pork Center at the state farmers market

But that wasn't cooked yet, correct????

Old 10-21-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But that wasn't cooked yet, correct????

Correct. That was for a "cleaned and split" (sorry I don't know the official term) hog which three guys then spent 12 hours slow cooking and then pickin'.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:58 PM

669 posts, read 474,045 times
Definitely stay away from the vine gar. They'll drop a piece of bacon in a bucket of vine gar and call it BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary