U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2019, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Carolina Shores NC
7,007 posts, read 8,346,861 times
Reputation: 5415

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
Definitely stay away from the vine gar. They'll drop a piece of bacon in a bucket of vine gar and call it BBQ.
Sounds like you never ate good barbecue. Drive down to Ayden and try The Skylight Inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 PM
 
Location: NC
2,310 posts, read 1,291,685 times
Reputation: 5731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Yeah! What planet is he from anyway?
Right? We all know Eastern Barbeque is so much better than Western. Vinegar based is the best! When I moved to the mountains, I was worried I'd never have the good stuff again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
397 posts, read 159,738 times
Reputation: 352
Default Somewhat Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studat4 View Post
Hello
We are not from North Carolina, but we have been to some pig pickins before. Does anyone have recommendations for a place that does a good job but at a fair price? Thank you!

Does the OP want a recommendation for a place to go to a pig picking or does he/she want a firm to cater to his/her location and cook a pig? Big difference. Our HOA once had Ole Time BBQ (of Raleigh) bring a pig in the cooker (cooked) to our location, along with the appropriate sides. Pretty good as I remember. Don't know the cost. Call some of the previously mentioned places for prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 PM
 
917 posts, read 382,080 times
Reputation: 1027
Indignant discussion of eastern vs. western sauce is hilarious. They're BOTH mostly vinegar. Western just has a small amount of ketchup in it. The difference is minute.

And I have the same question as Corgi Dad...waht is the OP looking for? A restaurant has presents a pig pickin' (doesn't really exist) or a caterer that will come do one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:04 PM
 
771 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Indignant discussion of eastern vs. western sauce is hilarious. They're BOTH mostly vinegar. Western just has a small amount of ketchup in it. The difference is minute.

And I have the same question as Corgi Dad...waht is the OP looking for? A restaurant has presents a pig pickin' (doesn't really exist) or a caterer that will come do one?
Would you consider “Sticky Fingers” Carolina Sweet a Western Carolina style BBQ sauce?

If so, saying that and say Scott’s are similar is like saying a tire iron has only minute differences from an Apple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 PM
 
917 posts, read 382,080 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Would you consider “Sticky Fingers” Carolina Sweet a Western Carolina style BBQ sauce?
No I wouldn't (nor would anyone else who's knowledgeable on the subject) because thats not true western NC style sauce. Western (or Lexington) style sauce is mostly vinegar with a small amount of ketchup and sometimes little brown sugar. Its almost as thin and just as vinegary as eastern style. Its not thick and sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:27 PM
 
771 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
No I wouldn't (nor would anyone else who's knowledgeable on the subject) because thats not true western NC style sauce. Western (or Lexington) style sauce is mostly vinegar with a small amount of ketchup and sometimes little brown sugar. Its almost as thin and just as vinegary as eastern style. Its not thick and sweet.
So there is no such thing as a “Thick, Sweet, Western Carolina BBQ” Sauce.

There’s nothing “West” of Lexington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 PM
 
917 posts, read 382,080 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
So there is no such thing as a “Thick Western Carolina BBQ” Sauce.

There’s nothing West of Lexington?
No idea what your point is, other than you just want to argue for no reason. True western (or Lexington) style bbq sauce is thin and mostly vinegar. The thick sweet stuff is from elsewhere. Just because someone packages something and gives it a similar name means nothing.

"Before I moved here, all I really knew was KC or Texas BBQ sauce..." Then don't argue with a native, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 PM
 
771 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
No idea what your point is, other than you just want to argue for no reason. Western (or Lexington) style sauce is thin and mostly vinegar. The thick sweet stuff is from elsewhere. Just because someone packages something and gives it a similar name means nothing.
I’m not trying to argue at all, this is y’all’s ish. I’m just a Yankee asking questions.

Here’s all I do know. When at The Pit, my wife uses the “Western” Sauce and it may as well be Sweet Baby Rays in terms of consistency/viscosity

If that isn’t “True Western NC” then cool.

I obviously don’t want to use the wrong nomenclature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 PM
 
771 posts, read 274,570 times
Reputation: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
"Before I moved here, all I really knew was KC or Texas BBQ sauce..." Then don't argue with a native, ok?
Take is easy, Blackbeard.

I’m asking honest questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top