U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 PM

917 posts, read 382,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Take is easy, Blackbeard.

I’m asking honest questions.
My apologies. There are only 2 traditional style bbq sauces in NC, eastern and western (or Lexington) style. Both are vinegar-based. Anything thick and sweet is not traditional to NC, even if if someone has placed some sort of nomenclature on it reflecting NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 PM

772 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
My apologies. There are only 2 traditional style bbq sauces in NC, eastern and western (or Lexington) style. Both are vinegar-based. Anything thick and sweet is not traditional to NC, even if if someone has placed some sort of nomenclature on it reflecting NC.
Cheers. Thank you for explaining it to me.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 PM

10,936 posts, read 11,714,412 times
What Edward said is correct. There are many many resources on the subject besides City-Data. Best place to start is John Shelton Reed's book. But if you prefer an online reference, check out https://www.ourstate.com/nc-barbecue-styles/

Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 PM

130 posts, read 191,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Any idea of the cost?
Yes, wondering how much this is all going to cost?

Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Does the OP want a recommendation for a place to go to a pig picking or does he/she want a firm to cater to his/her location and cook a pig? Big difference. Our HOA once had Ole Time BBQ (of Raleigh) bring a pig in the cooker (cooked) to our location, along with the appropriate sides. Pretty good as I remember. Don't know the cost. Call some of the previously mentioned places for prices.
Thank you for asking! We want someone ELSE to cook the pig! I have no experience doing this. And just for additional info, its mid-May, and we have rented a pavillion.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:17 AM

917 posts, read 382,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studat4 View Post
Thank you for asking! We want someone ELSE to cook the pig! I have no experience doing this. And just for additional info, its mid-May, and we have rented a pavillion.
How many people? You'll need at least 30 or so. Do you want someone to provide the pig, sides, dessert, plates, utensils, etc.? Cost will be around $10 to $15 per person.

The previously mentioned Ole Time BBQ will do it for $9.95 per person, plus extra sides, dessert, etc., with a 50 person minimum:

https://oletimebarbecue.com/menu

Old 10-22-2019, 06:19 AM

17,359 posts, read 26,679,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Any idea of the cost?
No. A guy in my ‘hood does it. Brings the smoker or whatever it is to the pool the day before and gets to it. It’s a huge ordeal. Also there’s a bar set up with home brews. It’s pretty fun just haven’t had a chance to go the last few years. I’m guessing the HOA reimburses him but they don’t run it per se.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
How many people? You'll need at least 30 or so. Do you want someone to provide the pig, sides, dessert, plates, utensils, etc.? Cost will be around $10 to $15 per person.

The previously mentioned Ole Time BBQ will do it for $9.95 per person, plus extra sides, dessert, etc., with a 50 person minimum:

https://oletimebarbecue.com/menu
Wow! Thanks, I will look into this!

Old 10-22-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No. A guy in my ‘hood does it. Brings the smoker or whatever it is to the pool the day before and gets to it. It’s a huge ordeal. Also there’s a bar set up with home brews. It’s pretty fun just haven’t had a chance to go the last few years. I’m guessing the HOA reimburses him but they don’t run it per se.
Thank you, that sounds like an ordeal. All this info is helping me think through what is involved. I forgot to mention it will be a minimum of 50 people maybe more like 75. I know it will be a minimum of $10 per person, and we hope to cater all of it. We aren't rich, but we do have three kids graduating from various places all at the same time. Seems worth it this time so we don't have the work on top of it.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,019,560 times
if this is a "graduation thing"...book early.
that is a busy time (Mother's Day, too).
for example: we have a February "thing"
which we will book next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary