U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,292,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Indignant discussion of eastern vs. western sauce is hilarious. They're BOTH mostly vinegar. Western just has a small amount of ketchup in it. The difference is minute.

And I have the same question as Corgi Dad...waht is the OP looking for? A restaurant has presents a pig pickin' (doesn't really exist) or a caterer that will come do one?

Umm, some of us have strong feelings about certain foods. I personally don't like any ketchup except Heinz. There are people who will only use Duke's mayo, though I prefer Hellman's. I like Coke, not Pepsi. Why is it hilarious that some people prefer Eastern vs Western sauce or vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 08:58 PM

919 posts, read 384,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Umm, some of us have strong feelings about certain foods. I personally don't like any ketchup except Heinz. There are people who will only use Duke's mayo, though I prefer Hellman's. I like Coke, not Pepsi. Why is it hilarious that some people prefer Eastern vs Western sauce or vice versa?
I never said preferring one over the other is hilarious. I said people claiming things like this is hilarious:

"And stay away from that vinegar mess less'n you're trying to clean yourself out. Our western BBQ sauce is 10x better"

"We all know Eastern Barbeque is so much better than Western. Vinegar based is the best!"

They're BOTH vinegar based. Most people couldn't tell one from the other if blindfolded, especially once its on the pig.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:32 PM

10,659 posts, read 7,769,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I’m not trying to argue at all, this is y’all’s ish. I’m just a Yankee asking questions.

Here’s all I do know. When at The Pit, my wife uses the “Western” Sauce and it may as well be Sweet Baby Rays in terms of consistency/viscosity

If that isn’t “True Western NC” then cool.

I obviously don’t want to use the wrong nomenclature
For the record, the Pit is not authentic NC barbecue. It certainly pleases many people, especially non-natives. And it's a good upscale-ish barbecue spot, the most upscale in Raleigh

Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 PM

poor transplants don't know this is akin to the "why can't I find real pizza here?" amongst the natives/long-time locals

Old 10-22-2019, 09:49 PM

319 posts, read 136,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I never said preferring one over the other is hilarious. I said people claiming things like this is hilarious:

"And stay away from that vinegar mess less'n you're trying to clean yourself out. Our western BBQ sauce is 10x better"

"We all know Eastern Barbeque is so much better than Western. Vinegar based is the best!"

They're BOTH vinegar based. Most people couldn't tell one from the other if blindfolded, especially once its on the pig.

I can easily tell the difference. When I visit family in Ashe County I eat Lexington/Western. When I'm at Church gatherings we eat Eastern, and there is definitely a big difference.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
I can easily tell the difference. When I visit family in Ashe County I eat Lexington/Western. When I'm at Church gatherings we eat Eastern, and there is definitely a big difference.
Nonetheless, they are both mostly vinegar, and their taste is far more alike than different. And ketchup contains lots of vinegar too. Anyone claiming western-style isn't mostly vinegar is just wrong.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 10-23-2019 at 04:33 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 08:46 AM

in the mountains, it's even more molasses/ketchup. Not Sweet Baby Ray's thick, but thicker than the western Piedmont/Lexington style. Imagine being a young lad out in the working world, invited to my first BBQ plate dinner in Hickory and finding that sauce replaced the ENC I had only eaten for my first 22 years. Obviously, I lived to tell about it.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:45 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,292,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in the mountains, it's even more molasses/ketchup. Not Sweet Baby Ray's thick, but thicker than the western Piedmont/Lexington style. Imagine being a young lad out in the working world, invited to my first BBQ plate dinner in Hickory and finding that sauce replaced the ENC I had only eaten for my first 22 years. Obviously, I lived to tell about it.
That's the sauce I was talking about when I said western barbeque. I had moved to the mountains and knew I'd miss eastern style. BTW, I think Dickie's stinks and is way overpriced. We had one in Canton and my dad loved it, my husband and I were not impressed.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Thats not the traditional western/Lexington NC style sauce. its a more recent entrant influenced by Memphis/Kansas City/Texas style sauce.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:17 PM

7,008 posts, read 8,347,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
That's the sauce I was talking about when I said western barbeque. I had moved to the mountains and knew I'd miss eastern style. BTW, I think Dickie's stinks and is way overpriced. We had one in Canton and my dad loved it, my husband and I were not impressed.
I didn't like Dickie's at all, and I tried it twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary