U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 11:58 AM

130 posts, read 191,437 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are not from North Carolina, but we have been to some pig pickins before. Does anyone have recommendations for a place that does a good job but at a fair price? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 12:42 PM

7,447 posts, read 5,194,367 times
For a true pig pickin', I don't have an answer for you. Someone here will.

But if you are just wanting to serve BBQ, and you want to do it for a fair price, you might see what Smithfield BBQ can do for you (They are a local/regional chain). They are "pretty good", and have bandwidth to do it cost-effectively, I would think.
On top of that, I would dial around to all the main BBQ places in the area: (Big Mikes, Ole Time, The Pit, Clyde Coopers, etc...).

For a true pig-pickin, it will likely be found by word of mouth. The further East of Raleigh you go, the more likely to find a good source.

Also, if you want to DIY, know that you can get whole, half or quarter hogs at Nahunta Pork Center at the state farmers market. I would not recommend DIY unless you have an experienced person running the pit.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:50 PM

774 posts, read 275,127 times
Our neighbors do one yearly at the start of June; its basically a block party without officially closing the street.

He gets a whole hog from the Farmers Market and three of them do the all day cooking thing; one of the guys has an old 275 gallon home heating oil tank that has been converted to a cooker. We use an online RSVP/Party site to organize people bringing all the sides and desserts.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 PM

15,456 posts, read 19,667,904 times
What happens if it rains? (I'm asking seriously - we do the neighborhood block party each fall from our house and weather is one of the BIG issues for planning.)

Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What happens if it rains? (I'm asking seriously - we do the neighborhood block party each fall from our house and weather is one of the BIG issues for planning.)

Not sure if this was directed to me; but...

In the three years "we" have done it, weather hasn't been an issue.

This year it rained overnight the night before, but the day of the party was sunny and hot. Not sure if they would move it inside if it did rain. 150-200 people in a house would be less than fun.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM

17,360 posts, read 26,685,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Our neighborhood does a pig pickin' Oktoberfest every year and I think only one year it rained....I think they still had it. Another year it was pretty chilly. It's only been going on 6-7 years. Like GVoR half the neighborhood brings sides and half brings desserts.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:13 PM

319 posts, read 136,971 times
Your local Baptist, Presbyterian or Methodist church will sometimes host pig pickings as a community event. Some BBQ joints will cater a pig picking.

I know that Prissy Pollys in the Kernersville area does this.

We hear about events like this from neighbors usually. Folks bring rabbit, deer and someone will bring one of their hogs. Make sure whoever is cooking knows what they're doing.

And stay away from that vinegar mess less'n you're trying to clean yourself out. Our western BBQ sauce is 10x better, but either of our NC sauces are better than that nasty mustard based stuff from our odd southern neighbor. They're a bit strange down there haha.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,024,140 times
do not have the pig-pickin' during pollen season.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Your local Baptist, Presbyterian or Methodist church will sometimes host pig pickings as a community event. Some BBQ joints will cater a pig picking.

I know that Prissy Pollys in the Kernersville area does this.

We hear about events like this from neighbors usually. Folks bring rabbit, deer and someone will bring one of their hogs. Make sure whoever is cooking knows what they're doing.

And stay away from that vinegar mess less'n you're trying to clean yourself out. Our western BBQ sauce is 10x better, but either of our NC sauces are better than that nasty mustard based stuff from our odd southern neighbor. They're a bit strange down there haha.

Thems be fightin' words from what I've been told BB

Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM

7,008 posts, read 8,347,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Thems be fightin' words from what I've been told BB
Yeah! What planet is he from anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary