U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 06:47 AM

6,864 posts, read 8,443,751 times

Advertisements

There’s nothing you can do legally to prevent it and it might not matter anyway. If you are seriously worried you might offer to buy an easement which restricts interfering with that area. But i suspect the trees are safe from this type of injury because over the years the roots have already compensated. Its good that the trunks are not on the property line.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The solution is not about what's legal or not.

It's about knowing and talking with the people who live next door.
Maybe some coffee or beer, the occasional burger off the grill and all that...
with the goal to have them become an actual neighbor.

Already tried that, without much success. He has two adorable and talkative daughters, 4 and 2, whom I talk to all the time when we are all outside, and they enjoy coming over to visit and talk with me. I think he just really does not care about the tree or about having friendly neighbors.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:03 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,751,117 times
Remember, those roots go down just as far as the tree goes up.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:20 AM

554 posts, read 661,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Remember, those roots go down just as far as the tree goes up.
Says who, Confucius? No, they don't.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:28 AM

429 posts, read 514,567 times
"Tree Law" is actually a rather complex area of law and has attorneys who specialize in it. He is within his rights to prune branches or roots that are on his property. However, if in doing so he damages the tree he can be liable for the replacement value of a fully grown tree as well as diminished property value - which can be a very large sum if it's a large tree. On the other hand if the roots or branches from your tree damage his property you can be liable. I hope you're getting a sense of how complicated a legal case over a tree can get and anyone who thinks the rules are simple is in for a surprise.

If you're really concerned that it may damage the tree I'd have an arborist advise you on if his parking there is really jeopardizing the health of the tree and if so give you an estimate for a replacement tree of the same age and height. You may be overestimating the risk to the tree and he probably has no idea just how much it could cost him to park there if there is a risk. If he's still obstinate it wouldn't cost you too much to have a lawyer draft a letter requesting he cut it out and outlining what could happen if he didn't.

Last edited by Pixel_Dent; 10-25-2019 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-25-2019, 09:50 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,853,238 times
ncrkd is correct. The root systems of most oak trees that are indigenous to this area are comparatively shallow, like 2 feet. Many of us remember all the fallen oaks from Hurricanes Fran and Floyd.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:54 AM

126 posts, read 167,363 times
I never realized driving or parking on roots could damage or kill a tree. I googled and read that while putting more soil over the top of them is harmful to trees too, putting wood chips over them helps protect them while still letting them get plenty of (I guess) air and water. Maybe you can talk to your neighbor and see if he’d be willing to do that?

Old 10-25-2019, 09:58 AM
DPK

3,664 posts, read 3,998,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
The neighbor can say it's a tripping hazard. OP has ZERO recourse. They can remove the trees and plant something different if it's a concern.
OP can totally sue if the tree becomes severely impacted -- you can't just murder your neighbors tree. If OP documents all interactions with their neighbor, photos, etc and the tree dies, the neighbor is likely going to end up footing a bill for the value of those trees.

Tree law is seriously a complex thing so both parties need to be careful in how they approach the situation.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:00 PM

8,788 posts, read 6,577,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
OP can totally sue if the tree becomes severely impacted -- you can't just murder your neighbors tree. If OP documents all interactions with their neighbor, photos, etc and the tree dies, the neighbor is likely going to end up footing a bill for the value of those trees.

Tree law is seriously a complex thing so both parties need to be careful in how they approach the situation.
And what does tree law say about a neighbor's reasonable right to utilize his own property?

As you've mentioned, it's complex. Using your side yard to park isn't the same as hacking the roots out or poisoning them.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:29 PM
DPK

3,664 posts, read 3,998,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
And what does tree law say about a neighbor's reasonable right to utilize his own property?

As you've mentioned, it's complex. Using your side yard to park isn't the same as hacking the roots out or poisoning them.
No idea idea man I'm not a lawyer. As you mentioned there's reasonable use and then there's hacking your neighbors tree roots to hell with a saw, which is what my commentary is in regard to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or