U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 01:48 PM

12,417 posts, read 22,087,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
That's what I am asking.

This guy in the story has a DUI on his record, which impacts a great number of things; ability to get a license, employment (my employer won't hire you with a DUI on you record and my client has a two strike policy; first strike for a contractor they have to be removed from the account. Second strike and they can never be a contractor again).

Would suck to have those things applied to you when the reality is something different.
One thing that has always gotten me about society is how the further up the food chain you go, typically the more reprieve one has from legal issues and their job. It tends to be (not saying you in this case) the lower tiered jobs always have super strict requirements a la drug and background (driving/legal) checks and the top jobs don't have any such requirements. My CEO for example has has three DUIs while acting as CEO here...still employed.

Just curious does your employer constantly background check employees too? Or is it just an initial hiring requirement?

One of the biggest hurdles for smaller businesses who employ drivers I've heard is finding people in their pay bands that are insurable.

I get random drug/alcohol tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 05:00 PM

73 posts, read 71,486 times
They had a case just like that on The Good Doctor last week!

Old 10-27-2019, 05:19 PM

769 posts, read 274,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
One thing that has always gotten me about society is how the further up the food chain you go, typically the more reprieve one has from legal issues and their job. It tends to be (not saying you in this case) the lower tiered jobs always have super strict requirements a la drug and background (driving/legal) checks and the top jobs don't have any such requirements. My CEO for example has has three DUIs while acting as CEO here...still employed.

Just curious does your employer constantly background check employees too? Or is it just an initial hiring requirement?

One of the biggest hurdles for smaller businesses who employ drivers I've heard is finding people in their pay bands that are insurable.

I get random drug/alcohol tests.
Agreed completely with your food chain point. It extends to society more broadly, but that’s a conversation for a different time.

So my employer (Consulting/Professional Services) background checks as part of their onboarding/hiring process. Once you’re in, there is nothing further from them, but part of the employment handbook lays out the process of informing them should you be arrested (certain crimes will cause you to lose your job with them).

However my client who I am contractually bound to drug tests and background checks as part of onboarding.

Anytime I cycle off a client account, I would be subject to whatever my next clients onboarding process is ( so another background and or drug test).

If my employer can’t contract out your work to a client then you are costing them money, and they will let you go. When your contract ends you can sit on “the bench” for six months before they will “lay you off”

Old 10-27-2019, 05:27 PM

7,003 posts, read 8,345,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Doing low carb myself right now but not because they make me drunk.
I’m giving it a shot myself right now, and with good results.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:26 PM

26 posts, read 26,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
blood alcohol is blood alcohol.
method of acquisition is not germane.
Incorrect. It’s not a matter of blood-alcohol levels. It’s illegal to drive:
(1) While under the influence of an impairing substance; or
(2) After having CONSUMED sufficient alcohol that he has, at any relevant time after the driving, an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more. The results of a chemical analysis shall be deemed sufficient evidence to prove a person's alcohol concentration; or
(3) With any amount of a Schedule I controlled substance, as listed in G.S. 90-89, or its metabolites in his blood or urine.

He didn’t consume the alcohol in this instance, his body produced it. So the only argument is that his morning pancakes were an impairing substance. For him, they clearly were. But the definition of impairing substance probably doesn’t include carbs.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:37 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,852,316 times
To be clear, there's nothing new about auto-brewery syndrome. This link https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...255?via%3Dihub makes it clear that Japanese physicians have known of it for over 60 years.

It's a fair question to ask, however, whether any med schools in the U.S. ever mention it to their students. Professor Joseph Heitman at Duke has been quoted as an authority on it.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:25 PM

3,628 posts, read 7,258,847 times
Sounds like a candida infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or