Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,924,482 times

Advertisements

After years of inexplicably getting drunk without drinking alcohol, having mood swings and bouts of aggression, landing a DWI charge on the way to work one morning, and suffering a head injury in a drunken fall, an otherwise healthy 46-year-old North Carolina man finally got confirmation of having alcohol-fermenting yeasts overrunning his innards, getting him sloshed any time he ate carbohydrate-laden meals.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...ot-him-wasted/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 PM

22,622 posts, read 36,568,066 times
wow, that's so interesting...and crazy. Must have been really frustrating for him!

Old 10-25-2019, 08:23 PM

6,325 posts, read 5,418,275 times
The keto fanboys & fangirls are going to be alllll over this.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 PM

329 posts, read 248,186 times
Otis? Otis Campbell?

Old 10-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The keto fanboys & fangirls are going to be alllll over this.
ha ha I thought the same thing. Doing low carb myself right now but not because they make me drunk.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:07 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,037,274 times
What an interesting story.

A legal question in case there are any lawyers among us.

If his legal issues stem from a medical condition (i.e. he didn't drink and drive resulting in his DWIs) can he get some reprieve from them as it they resulted from something other than the action the "law" says he took?

Old 10-27-2019, 08:12 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,924,482 times
blood alcohol is blood alcohol.
method of acquisition is not germane.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
blood alcohol is blood alcohol.
method of acquisition is not germane.

I get that, but if someone isn't drinking, and it occurs as a result of a medical condition, then where do you go from there?

There was a guy up in MA who was having some sort of medical event as a result of Diabetes.

Cops on the scene assumed he was drunk. Was later determined through medical tests it was a medical event and no charges were filed.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I get that, but if someone isn't drinking, and it occurs as a result of a medical condition, then where do you go from there?

There was a guy up in MA who was having some sort of medical event as a result of Diabetes.

Cops on the scene assumed he was drunk. Was later determined through medical tests it was a medical event and no charges were filed.
I don't think the charges would stick in this case. I can't imagine a prosecutor continuing a case with this info. If he already had a case discharged against him, he can probably get it expunged.

Driving and having a medical event with diabetes is a little different, at least from a liability perspective. If you know you have diabetes and you're not managing it properly and you get in the car and drive and have an accident, the disease does not get you off the hook. Obviously DUI charges won't stick. But there are other factors in play if there is an actual accident.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't think the charges would stick in this case. I can't imagine a prosecutor continuing a case with this info. If he already had a case discharged against him, he can probably get it expunged.

Driving and having a medical event with diabetes is a little different, at least from a liability perspective. If you know you have diabetes and you're not managing it properly and you get in the car and drive and have an accident, the disease does not get you off the hook. Obviously DUI charges won't stick. But there are other factors in play if there is an actual accident.

That's what I am asking.

This guy in the story has a DUI on his record, which impacts a great number of things; ability to get a license, employment (my employer won't hire you with a DUI on you record and my client has a two strike policy; first strike for a contractor they have to be removed from the account. Second strike and they can never be a contractor again).

Would suck to have those things applied to you when the reality is something different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: