U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 04:50 PM

45 posts, read 38,561 times

Advertisements

To save some $$$$ and insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 04:57 PM

2,820 posts, read 1,488,516 times
Don't know, but I would question leaving the car for two years anyway. Stuff happens when a car sits unused. But maybe you're having a mechanic prepare it for its holiday? Why not just sell it and get another when you get back?

In Washington state, for example, I don't think you can own a car and not have it registered. Other states may be different.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:04 PM

17,345 posts, read 26,663,176 times
Don't know NC law but in NY you'd have to turn in the plates and then you could cancel the insurance.

I too question the wisdom of leaving a car to sit for two years - do you have a storage plan?

Old 10-28-2019, 05:16 PM

4,957 posts, read 2,001,098 times
turn in the plates.
when you do, get a tax refund.
https://www.wral.com/check-the-fine-...tags/15662039/

Old 10-28-2019, 05:20 PM

331 posts, read 273,030 times
In simple terms yes. I recently purchased a classic car for restoration, knowing that it's probably a 18-24 month project timeline. I titled it, but did not put plates on it. Still have to pay property taxes, but not deal with insurance. I wanted the title in my name. Should be no reason you can't turn the tags in, but don't be surprised if you still get a property tax bill on it. I turned the tags in on a car that went from street car to dedicated track car. Same principal. I still have the title in my name, so I get a tax bill.

Absolutely no reason you can't let a vehicle sit for 2 years, but it should be prepped correctly for storage. And that prep will depend upon the storage conditions, type of vehicle, etc. A "good" mechanic can help you with prep and the do's / don'ts of long term storage. Unless it holds sentimental value or it's an appreciating collectible, I'd probably sell it rather than eat another 2 years of depreciation. But as a car guy, I understand that many car decisions are made emotionally rather than fiscally.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:47 PM

16 posts, read 5,717 times
As others have said, just turn in the tags. However, be very careful leaving your car to just “sit” for an extended period of time, especially if it’s not going to be checked on. I have a coworker that bought a limited edition BMW. He only drove it on special occasions as he said, didn’t even let his wife drive it. Only drove it 2-3 times a year, and was kept in his garage under a car cover. Well, over the winter last year, a squirrel decided to make it his home, and chewed up ALL the wiring under the hood. No BMW dealer wanted to touch it, his insurance company had to total it and payed him. Everyone thought he was shooting us a line of “you know what” until he brought all his paperwork and photos to show us.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,858,450 times
If you cancel the insurance then you must turn in the license plate. Otherwise the DMV will assume you are still driving the car without insurance and will place a fine against the vehicle registration which is paid upon the next renewal unless you sell the vehicle. I've never heard of paying annual property taxes on an unregistered vehicle. I own a 1985 Volvo project car with a title and have never received a tax bill because it currently has no license plate.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:39 AM

308 posts, read 193,752 times
I would not sell. You know what you have vs buying an unknown used car to replace it. Turn in tags. You will stop getting tax bill but theoretically still owe taxes. Fill tank with alcohol free gas and and run a bit with Stabil storage stabilizer, (not the regular kind). Unhook or remove battery and put on float charger. Use good quality cover and cover tires from UV rays if left outside. They actually make a pest repeller for storing cars. Park on cement or paved area. Start and run at least once a week if possible.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:58 AM

2,557 posts, read 865,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcrasher View Post
Start and run at least once a week if possible.
You shouldn't bother starting it unless you're actually going to drive it and run the engine up to operating temperature.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:34 PM

5,313 posts, read 3,473,371 times
I would ask yourself if it's worth keeping for 2 years. It will continue to depreciate and may possibly need parts replaced after sitting for 2 years. There's also the risk of it getting stolen or broken into.

I studied abroad for a year and ended up selling my car, saving the money, and buying another used car when I returned. The only thing it cost me was sales tax and title/plate fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or