U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 11:40 AM

17 posts, read 14,832 times

Advertisements

I left my discontinued $30/mo TMo prepaid plan for VZW prepaid last year. I never worried about speed so much as coverage. Now I'm worried about speed but mainly during deprioritization / congestion. During the day time, at home I get 50-60 Mbps but during the entire evening or in any busy area and I'm down to 1 Mbps. My AT&T internet went out yesterday and at night I could barely get internet through tethering because my speed was so slow.

I'm wondering if AT&T prepaid is any better, is anyone in the area using it? Can you let me know what type of speeds you get during different hours and if it's at least around 5 Mbps in busy areas?

Currently I'm getting 6GB/each for $60/mo, 2 lines after auto pay and 2nd line discount.

It looks like AT&T is offering 8GB/each for $70/mo, 2 lines after auto pay and 2nd line discount. Sounds like there's rollover data too. I know there's a good promo going right now if you pay $300 each line up front but I can't take advantage of this currently.

I know there's other carriers likely using VZW and AT&T's network like Ting, Straight Talk, Boost, Cricket. I don't really know as much about these, I'm curious the type of speeds you can get on these though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 12:12 PM

5,216 posts, read 3,459,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdashd View Post
I know there's other carriers likely using VZW and AT&T's network like Ting, Straight Talk, Boost, Cricket. I don't really know as much about these, I'm curious the type of speeds you can get on these though?
Others will have to chime in regarding speeds in the Triangle, but Boost Mobile uses Sprint's abysmal network, so I'd stay away from them.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:12 PM

4,740 posts, read 3,147,073 times
AT&T Prepaid is much better than T-Mobile Prepaid and they have a pretty awesome $40/plan as well that is 8 GB with unlimited talk/text.

Any MVNO using Verizon and AT&T's network around here should be a good deal. T-Mobile is not as good as Verizon/AT&T and Sprint absolutely sucks around here.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:30 PM

12,434 posts, read 22,096,740 times
I use Total Wireless, another Verizon prepaid carrier, and notice the slowdown as well in highly populated areas like conventions or such.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:33 PM

17 posts, read 14,832 times
I just don't know if I can trust anyone using Verizon's network if they get congestion as bad as me but I'm in Durham so maybe that's a factor? Was never an issue with Tmo, I always got consistent speeds but that was their old prepaid plan, I hear their new plans are a lot worse.

If anyone is running AT&T prepaid could you run a speedtest for me and let me know the results you get in morning/afternoon and night? At least on Android if you just turn off wifi and Google speedtest there's one built right into Google Search. Dunno bout on iOS but you may be able to just go to speedtest.net

Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 PM

I switched to another MVNO because they had a deal so I'm off AT&T Prepaid but as a millennial who streams Hulu on their phone, hopefully, you can take my word that the speeds on AT&T Prepaid are very usable (I'm going to switch back to AT&T Prepaid once my promo offer is up at the end of the year).

Old 10-29-2019, 12:38 PM

12,434 posts, read 22,096,740 times
You use Verizon for the coverage not for the speed IMO.

If you want speed go with T Mobile, they have always had the fastest speeds, when you got coverage.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:02 PM

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/ro...igh-nc/2019/2H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary