U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 07:56 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,287,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Ditto. People are afraid to show who kids are the boss. Its why you see so many little monsters running around without discipline. It's okay if a kid cries.
It's not "showing who's boss", it's creating structure and consistency. It's easy to spoil a toddler because infants need so much care. Toddlers do, too, but parents go overboard and end up with a toddler who expects what they've gotten all along. A parent needs to continue to foster some form of independence to allow their children to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 400 times
This woman in Cary can help

https://www.firstdaze.com/blog/tag/sleep+coachiing

Old 10-30-2019, 08:44 AM

10,927 posts, read 11,707,609 times
I think what you have described is normal and go ahead and rock and hold that baby now because it doesn't last. You can't hold a baby too much, y'know. And yes it is normal for parents to be sleep-deprived, too. Welcome to the club.

Check with La Leche League if mom is breastfeeding. They have lots of resources, not just about nursing. https://lllusa.org/locator/

Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 887,613 times
When my oldest was an infant we lived my in-laws from ages 3-6 months. He would wake in the night and I would go directly to him because I didn't want to wake anyone in the house. Once we moved into our new home we had his bedroom on the second floor and I didn't want to travel up and down in the middle of the night. It took about a week of leaving him to cry himself back to sleep, but it worked. He no longer woke in the middle of the night or if he did, he self soothed and would fall back to sleep on his own.
I honestly think that whoever said he doesn't know how to fall asleep on his own is on the right track. Holding and rocking is good for babies, but he needs to learn to fall asleep on his own. Or was it a she?

Old 10-30-2019, 09:28 AM

1,070 posts, read 380,516 times
There are thousands of articles online that outline different methods and approaches so that you can select one that fits your family. I personally don't agree with sleep training, but I know other have found it helpful.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:15 PM

770 posts, read 3,953,313 times
What you're doing is obviously not working. A 10mo should not be rocked to sleep. Think about this: if you went to sleep in your bed, and woke up a couple hours later in your front yard - would you freak out? That's what your kid is doing because he fell asleep being rocked in your arms, then he woke up in a bed and you weren't there.

Do the sleep training now - the longer you wait the harder it will be. A good night's sleep is beneficial to everyone - him and you. We know people who didn't sleep train and they are still having this battle with their 4yo. It's crazy. Don't let that be you.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM

1,279 posts, read 887,613 times
The one thing that you might check with your pediatrician is whether or not there might be any asthma issues. My one son that constantly woke up during the night had asthma, didn't know until he was 16 months old. He would go to sleep in his bed fine but he had a hard time sleeping though the night without waking a couple times.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:13 PM

10,927 posts, read 11,707,609 times
Folks, gcretro clearly asked for local resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Hello,
Are there any good/useful sleep training services/help we can get locally?
I really don't think a thread discussing "sleep training" without referrals to local resources is appropriate here in the Triangle forum.

I will say that back in the day I got a lot of help at my local LLL group. We co-slept and never did any "sleep training" and my 18 yr old and 15 yr old have no sleep issues now. La Leche League is free and offers a great community for the whole family, dads, too. There is a toddler LLL group in Wake County, too: http://www.lllofnc.org/groups/wake/

So before this further devolves into a parenting thread, I would advise commentors to put local resources in your posts, like gcretro asked for. If you want to explore more online, the C-D parenting forum is here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/ and there are plenty of other forums out there, too.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-30-2019 at 02:22 PM..

Old 11-01-2019, 06:17 PM

873 posts, read 1,998,092 times
Emerald Doulas is having a class on sleep on Nov 16 at 2p. Even if you can't attend that class the speaker is a sleep coach so you could contact her.

https://www.emeralddoulas.com/beyondbirthclasses

I am also in EmDo FB group and many of the new parents also recommend Taking Cara Babies. She has an online class. But I follow her on instagram and she does have lots of free advice.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:26 PM

202 posts, read 176,210 times
I have a 7 month old and this is my second child. With my first-born, we had trouble getting him down into the bassinet. He would fall asleep on our shoulders, then we would lay him down and he would instantly wake up and scream. At that time, we lived in a small one bedroom apartment with neighbors above and below us. I did not want neighbors to hear all the screaming, so I would let him fall asleep on my chest a lot when he was a newborn up until about a month old...very bad! We started "double-swaddling" him in his bassinet after that and he started sleeping through the night. We bought a house when he was about 16 months old and he got his own bedroom and big boy bed (with trundle). He slept on the trundle and continued to sleep through the night.

Fast forward 7 years, we have baby #2, who is the 7 monther. As soon as we got home from the hospital, I put him in the crib in his own room. Everyone said we were crazy for not having baby sleep in our room. But you know what? He has been sleeping through the night since around 6 weeks old. Occasionally, he cries a little bit then falls asleep on his own. He rarely wakes in the middle of the night. I attempt to give him 2 naps during the day. The first one is worthless- maybe a 20 minute nap. The second one is longer-maybe 1-2 hours. On average, he sleeps about 10-12 hours during the night.

Also, check out babycenter.com. They have groups organized by the baby's month and year of birth so you can post questions or search for others that are going through the same thing as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or