U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 996 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all.

I'm curious as to what the current growth and housing affordability is in the Triangle area these days. We lived in the area for 10yrs leaving 5yrs ago but we're considering returning. We're a mature couple with our kids already grown and independent so concerns about K-12 schooling is not of a concern.

I'd like to know what are some of the interesting expansion / growth in the last 5yrs both economically and employability particularly in the tech industry. Also, I've heard that housing cost has shot up which is the case in many growing cities across America but is it out of hand? We're probably looking at renting a 3/2 house in the Raleigh / Durham / Cary / Morrisville area for 1-2 yrs if it's affordable. Not sure if $1,500 is reasonable staying within 30 minutes of RTP or is it much higher now?

Any information you would like to divulge concerning the area in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I heard that a Wegman's has newly opened which is exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:24 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,062,046 times
$1500 is enough for a decent 3/2 house in all those cities you listed. It won't be downtown and might be kinda old or unrenovated, but you'll have options. If someone wanted to rent a 3/2 close to downtown or midtown Raleigh, newer or renovated and bigger, one would need a budget of ~$1800ish, though there are deals out there for sure. I'm in a partially renovated 3/1 house built in 1959 and 1100sqft, walking distance to North Hills and the new Wegmans you mentioned and paying $1,195.

I've been in the Triangle since 2014 so 5 years now and even I have seen just so much change. There are a few new tall buildings in downtown Raleigh and North Hills with several more under construction in both locations. Capital Blvd between Fairview Rd and Peace St is almost done with a major reconfiguration and is nicer. They tore down that hideous red barn right off Capital so now you can see Cameron Village and some jew downtown buildings on your approach from the north.

New shopping centers and neighborhoods and apartments and condos are all over, too many to name. I say come on back and see for yourself.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
$1500 is enough for a decent 3/2 house in all those cities you listed. It won't be downtown and might be kinda old or unrenovated, but you'll have options. If someone wanted to rent a 3/2 close to downtown or midtown Raleigh, newer or renovated and bigger, one would need a budget of ~$1800ish, though there are deals out there for sure. I'm in a partially renovated 3/1 house built in 1959 and 1100sqft, walking distance to North Hills and the new Wegmans you mentioned and paying $1,195.

I've been in the Triangle since 2014 so 5 years now and even I have seen just so much change. There are a few new tall buildings in downtown Raleigh and North Hills with several more under construction in both locations. Capital Blvd between Fairview Rd and Peace St is almost done with a major reconfiguration and is nicer. They tore down that hideous red barn right off Capital so now you can see Cameron Village and some jew downtown buildings on your approach from the north.

New shopping centers and neighborhoods and apartments and condos are all over, too many to name. I say come on back and see for yourself.
Thank you for your reply it's quite helpful and inspiring. It certainly gives us much to consider. The growth sounds exciting for sure. We'll certainly take a ride back up there and spend some time.

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2019, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 996 times
Does anyone know if the Asian community has grown in the last 5yrs? When we lived in the area there were 2 or 3 Asian shopping markets and it appeared that more Asians were settling in the area.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 AM

34,300 posts, read 59,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgy777 View Post
Does anyone know if the Asian community has grown in the last 5yrs? When we lived in the area there were 2 or 3 Asian shopping markets and it appeared that more Asians were settling in the area.

HMart in Cary is slammed with business.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 AM

15,459 posts, read 19,667,904 times
Just remember: With sold that growth comes more cars. More traffic.

We moved here in 2012 (from Phoenix, so traffic was familiar to us). We go to the same places we went seven years ago, but it definitely takes us longer to get there. We're retired and consciously try to avoid driving during rush hours. Nevertheless, we're stuck in The middle of it with more and more frequency.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:18 AM

319 posts, read 136,971 times
I would agree with what Helmit said.

Also, in terms of growth north Raleigh, northwestern raleigh, eastern durham county and southeastern Durham county are exploding.

Areas like Brier Creek, and Carr township in Durham are entirely different.

I think that area has close to 10 new office buildings/shopping buildings and over 1000 new homes with hundreds more slated for construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or