Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:11 AM

71 posts, read 71,029 times

Advertisements

Sorry all, another scouting thread. I did go through the ones already here but just didn't quite find what I was looking for. My family is looking to leave Seattle within a year and move to some place sunny and warm that has tech opportunities. I'm coming in this weekend to check out the area but I haven't quite figured out exactly where to look. I know Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill but that doesn't really help me much.

We would be looking for a newer (2010 or later) home on at least .5 acre. Good schools, safe area, reasonable commute (40 min or less to RTP as an example). Budget would be up to $1 million. Where do you recommend I even look? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 05:26 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,074 posts, read 76,623,012 times
What are your expectations of the house features you will get for your budget? Up to $1 million buys you a lot more home here than in Seattle.

Are you OK with a well and on-site septic tank, or do you want city water and sewer services? Half an acre with city water and sewer gets harder to find in more recent construction.
If you would consider homes from 2000, it would open up a lot more opportunities with half acre lots.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:27 AM

I can open it up to 2000 or later. We are fine with septic but do want city water. For the house 3000+ Sq ft with office and bonus room. Ideally it seems mostly updated. Our house is 95 and we're having to renovate the rooms and replace the roof now. Would rather not have to go through all of that again right now. Also would prefer a neighborhood that has a community pool. Any Recommendations based on that?

Old 10-30-2019, 09:03 AM

22,622 posts, read 36,563,865 times
in Cary, MacGregor Downs, Regency, maybe Preston Village and the Reserve.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:25 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,209,163 times
Will your kids go to public or private school?

Old 10-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,074 posts, read 76,623,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanaggie View Post
I can open it up to 2000 or later. We are fine with septic but do want city water. For the house 3000+ Sq ft with office and bonus room. Ideally it seems mostly updated. Our house is 95 and we're having to renovate the rooms and replace the roof now. Would rather not have to go through all of that again right now. Also would prefer a neighborhood that has a community pool. Any Recommendations based on that?
Preston Village in Cary.
The Reserve in Cary.
Preston in Cary and Morrisville.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-30-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 AM

289 posts, read 251,896 times
Here you go:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...22280886_zpid/

Looks like it meets all your wants, plus it has a nice buffer of land to the back so you will never have back neighbors. It also falls nicely within your budget.

You're welcome. I'll be looking out for an invitation to dinner after you move in

The only other thing I'd like to say is that maybe you shouldn't rule out older homes. At the price point you are looking at, you are likely to find plenty of older homes that have been fully renovated from top to bottom. I just wouldn't want you to miss out on a great opportunity just because you ruled out even looking at older homes. Just tell your realtor that you would consider older homes if they are renovated inside and out.

It's funny, one thing I tell my realtor is, NO NEW HOMES! My wife and I like older homes.

Good luck!!

Old 10-30-2019, 12:01 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,170,312 times
Is there anything else you're looking for? With your budget, you could find homes that check all of your boxes pretty much anywhere.

Lots of brand new homes in North Hills in that price range.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Will your kids go to public or private school?
Preferably public school but I've been reading out charter and magnet schools so would need to explore that more.

And wow, that house on Zillow looks amazing!!! AND we save money.

You're right! I should explore older homes as long as they've been redone already. Just not looking to take that work on again so soon.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:30 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,586,404 times
I would look in Cooperleaf - the original side. Large lots and beautiful custom homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary