Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 12:06 PM

131 posts, read 144,835 times

Advertisements

I think the cold is finally here to stay, and I have a home with a fireplace for the first time in my life!

During the last cold snap a couple weeks ago I took it for a test run with a couple of those little firewood bundles they sell in front of grocery stores. It was fun and all, but they were 6.99 a piece for maybe 90 minutes of burn time.

Where do people with wood burning fireplaces get firewood on the cheap? I'm hoping for something more cost effective, whether that's cheaper wood or bigger logs that burn longer. I'm in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 05:21 PM

327 posts, read 602,737 times
I always go on the local community sale groups on Facebook and find people selling wood there. Usually $75-100 for a cord. Make sure it's seasoned (dry) before you buy/burn it. I wouldn't pay over $100 for a cord. Make sure to buy hardwoods such as oak, hickory, or maple because they burn the longest.

Last edited by Vorpal; 11-02-2019 at 05:29 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 04:40 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
It may be too late to buy firewood for this winter.
Most people will be selling fresh-cut, green, unseasoned wood. Burning green wood is a great way to fill your chimney with creosote and create a fire hazard.
I prefer to buy in the spring for the next winter heating season. Then I know it has had time to season.

https://www.csia.org/chimneyfires.html

Old 11-03-2019, 05:27 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
first question becomes will you need it delivered or not.

after that, yes the local Nextdoor, Facebook, etc is good. Depending where you are in Durham, drive out towards the "country" and look for signs.

If you can pick up, then the State Farmer's Market is a good spot. Even though I'm from Durham, can't say I'm familiar with places to buy firewood.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:03 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Usually $75-100 for a cord. Make sure it's seasoned (dry) before you buy/burn it. I wouldn't pay over $100 for a cord.

Is that for a full cord (4x4x8) or a "face" cord, which is typically only ~2 feet deep?

Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
craigslist

Old 11-03-2019, 01:47 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,421,650 times
Facebook and craigslist.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Is that for a full cord (4x4x8) or a "face" cord, which is typically only ~2 feet deep?
Full cord. Face cord isn't worth it. If I see Face cord in an ad, I keep scrolling.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 PM

131 posts, read 144,835 times
Thank you everyone for all the information! Someone I know offered to let me take some fallen logs from their yard, but I suppose since that wood isn't seasoned, it wouldn't be a good idea to burn it this winter?

I've found a few people selling seasoned firewood on nextdoor and craigslist, and others giving away wood pallets, or just random wood in their yard. Are those things safe to burn indoors?

I will definitely check out the state farmer's market. I can't believe I didn't think to check there before!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
Thank you everyone for all the information! Someone I know offered to let me take some fallen logs from their yard, but I suppose since that wood isn't seasoned, it wouldn't be a good idea to burn it this winter?

I've found a few people selling seasoned firewood on nextdoor and craigslist, and others giving away wood pallets, or just random wood in their yard. Are those things safe to burn indoors?

I will definitely check out the state farmer's market. I can't believe I didn't think to check there before!
Well you can bust up the pallets for kindling. As for random wood/logs in the yard....you need to find out how long it's been there and if it needs to be split. The logs might not fit in your fireplace. Again, you don't want to burn wood that hasn't had time to dry out yet. If the wood is still green, you can still get it, stack it somewhere, and burn it next winter. There's moisture meters you can buy on Amazon for about $20 that you can use to test the moisture content of firewood. You don't want to burn any wood that has over 25% moisture content. If somebody is selling seasoned firewood at a reasonable price, I would jump on it because it won't be around long. And if you don't have a pickup or trailer, you'll need to rent one or find out if they deliver.

Last edited by Vorpal; 11-03-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary