U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 07:17 PM

116 posts, read 56,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Well, did you or anyone boo her?
Believe it or not, there was applause. I didn't want to make a scene and decided to approach management about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 07:22 PM

308 posts, read 193,985 times
Ferlinghetti would be appalled.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:23 PM

853 posts, read 576,976 times
I find anywhere that offers open mike, usually for karaoke, it's a good idea to leave when the set-up for the event begins. This is different than drunks trying to sing Bon Jovi songs though.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:10 AM

2,757 posts, read 3,061,457 times
Leave this as a 1 star review on Google as well. I agree that is not appropriate at all.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 AM

319 posts, read 136,305 times
The more cussing a speaker does the lower the IQ and lower their skill value.

Cussing is a crutch in speech and comedy. The best dont stop that low.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,937,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
The more cussing a speaker does the lower the IQ and lower their skill value.

Cussing is a crutch in speech and comedy. The best dont stop that low.
Where did you come up with that nonsense? One of my brothers has an IQ over 150, went to mentally gifted special schools when he was youngster and then went on to Stanford for his Undergraduate and Master's degree and then on to Yale for his PhD. And guess what.....he cusses more than most of us

I use profanity as well and while my IQ looks dismal in comparison to his (128 versus 150+) it definitely is not a low IQ even though the schools my brothers went to thought it was (I wasn't accepted)...lol!

So putting all that IQ nonsense aside (because I also feel that IQ tests are kind of nonsense too )....I think this situation was definitely in poor taste and not acceptable! And if this place allows that type of stuff, especially when they seem to pride themselves on providing a safe place for people to come and gather and boasts about being "inclusive and welcoming to all" then it's definitely not a place I would like to visit in the future. Hopefully they were unaware and will make changes once they are made aware of it.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:04 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,654,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
I love cool coffee cafes and on my mission to discovering new and interesting shops in the area, I found Cocoa Cinnamon in Durham (there are three locations, this is the one on Chapel Hill Road).

It had tons of rave reviews on Google so it figured to be a "can't miss".

Initial impressions didn't disappoint; super charming, inviting, and cozy (bonus point: they have the best churros on the planet).

All was great until the "poetry" started. It was Saturday night and I imagine this was a regular thing...no problem.

But a young lady stepped up to the mic and launched into a profanity laced diatribe on race and gentrification: F-bombs every other word, it seemed. I sat stunned.

That there were some young children around didn't matter.

The irony of it all was that her vitriol was squarely aimed at white people (presumably who were moving to Durham's older neighborhoods) who made up the entire audience with the exception of two or three non-whites.

Double irony: the nice coffee shop where she stood spewing her vulgar race-baiting, was itself the product of gentrification.

While I can appreciate the genuine concerns regarding the consequences of urban redevelopment and agree that efforts should be taken to protect the disenfranchised, attitudes and behavior like this is outrageous.

I don't think l will be going back here anytime soon, shame.
Let me guess she was black and no one called her a racist.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM

7,445 posts, read 5,192,572 times
Why is everyone getting so upset? The owner allowed it, so if you don't like it, don't support the business. It is really that simple. Sorry, it's free speech (free speech that I also DO NOT SUPPORT). But instead of letting it traumatize you, just go somewhere else to spend your money.

Art is fickle that way. What one person calls art, another person calls trash. This is nothing more than the far-left version of a Trump Rally. I wouldn't attend either this or the rally.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:52 PM

12,430 posts, read 22,091,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Why is everyone getting so upset? The owner allowed it, so if you don't like it, don't support the business. It is really that simple. Sorry, it's free speech (free speech that I also DO NOT SUPPORT). But instead of letting it traumatize you, just go somewhere else to spend your money.

Art is fickle that way. What one person calls art, another person calls trash. This is nothing more than the far-left version of a Trump Rally. I wouldn't attend either this or the rally.
It's amusing to me you believe the most racist far left vile is akin to a "normal" republican rally.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:24 PM

319 posts, read 136,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Where did you come up with that nonsense? One of my brothers has an IQ over 150, went to mentally gifted special schools when he was youngster and then went on to Stanford for his Undergraduate and Master's degree and then on to Yale for his PhD. And guess what.....he cusses more than most of us
I find it nonsense that someone who is supposedly so smart cant express himself without cussing.

Sounds intellectually lazy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary