U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2019, 04:30 PM

116 posts, read 56,978 times

Advertisements

I love cool coffee cafes and on my mission to discovering new and interesting shops in the area, I found Cocoa Cinnamon in Durham (there are three locations, this is the one on Chapel Hill Road).

It had tons of rave reviews on Google so it figured to be a "can't miss".

Initial impressions didn't disappoint; super charming, inviting, and cozy (bonus point: they have the best churros on the planet).

All was great until the "poetry" started. It was Saturday night and I imagine this was a regular thing...no problem.

But a young lady stepped up to the mic and launched into a profanity laced diatribe on race and gentrification: F-bombs every other word, it seemed. I sat stunned.

That there were some young children around didn't matter.

The irony of it all was that her vitriol was squarely aimed at white people (presumably who were moving to Durham's older neighborhoods) who made up the entire audience with the exception of two or three non-whites.

Double irony: the nice coffee shop where she stood spewing her vulgar race-baiting, was itself the product of gentrification.

While I can appreciate the genuine concerns regarding the consequences of urban redevelopment and agree that efforts should be taken to protect the disenfranchised, attitudes and behavior like this is outrageous.

I don't think l will be going back here anytime soon, shame.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 05:03 PM

397 posts, read 159,738 times
Make certain that you express your opinion to the owner/manager of the establishment. I doubt that he/she reads this forum.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:45 PM

10,620 posts, read 7,763,837 times
it's like ranting on Nextdoor. You will find the activism/politics of Durham and Chapel Hill are still >> Wake County, and certainly eastern Wake/JoCo.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:11 PM

116 posts, read 56,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Make certain that you express your opinion to the owner/manager of the establishment. I doubt that he/she reads this forum.
I surely intend to do that once I find contact information for the principal owner(s).

Old 11-06-2019, 06:14 PM

2,389 posts, read 1,914,003 times
Lol thanks for the laugh I'm so glad I live in the county but man I'm looking to get out living in a LARP Portland is not appealing to me

Old 11-06-2019, 06:19 PM

631 posts, read 168,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
I love cool coffee cafes and on my mission to discovering new and interesting shops in the area, I found Cocoa Cinnamon in Durham (there are three locations, this is the one on Chapel Hill Road).

It had tons of rave reviews on Google so it figured to be a "can't miss".

Initial impressions didn't disappoint; super charming, inviting, and cozy (bonus point: they have the best churros on the planet).

All was great until the "poetry" started. It was Saturday night and I imagine this was a regular thing...no problem.

But a young lady stepped up to the mic and launched into a profanity laced diatribe on race and gentrification: F-bombs every other word, it seemed. I sat stunned.

That there were some young children around didn't matter.

The irony of it all was that her vitriol was squarely aimed at white people (presumably who were moving to Durham's older neighborhoods) who made up the entire audience with the exception of two or three non-whites.

Double irony: the nice coffee shop where she stood spewing her vulgar race-baiting, was itself the product of gentrification.

While I can appreciate the genuine concerns regarding the consequences of urban redevelopment and agree that efforts should be taken to protect the disenfranchised, attitudes and behavior like this is outrageous.

I don't think l will be going back here anytime soon, shame.
I wouldn't go back, either. And I'd definitely complain to management.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:23 PM

2,389 posts, read 1,914,003 times
It's definitely a fractional element the problem is a majority identifies as liberal and so they tolerate these types hijacking the agenda

Old 11-06-2019, 06:35 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,019,560 times
here is what has worked for us:

if we really wanted to return, but could not due to ONE and only one thing.....
we would have a late lunch there, and after that, ~2PM we spoke with management.
in our case, it was music from smartphones without headphones.
case closed.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:47 PM

5,980 posts, read 9,073,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Lol thanks for the laugh I'm so glad I live in the county but man I'm looking to get out living in a LARP Portland is not appealing to me
OK, I had to laugh at "LARP Portland" - and admit that rings true

Old 11-06-2019, 07:12 PM

2,680 posts, read 3,151,214 times
Well, did you or anyone boo her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary