Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 04:44 AM

20 posts, read 21,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
lol what. Have you ever tried to drive that distance, let alone that distance during peak commute hours? The entire range of the Triangle can be 45 minutes during peak commute times, if not more on a bad day.
lol yes, I live and work off 147, a couple exits from Downtown Durham, and regularly drive down 15-501 after work. Takes 10-15 min to get to I-40 interchange that marks the border with CH. I don't often have cause to head to Raleigh proper, but when I've gone to the airport (I often fly out in the evenings to avoid taking time off work), which is just inside 540, it's taken about 20 min.

It's all about expectations. I grew up outside DC and lived in Philly immediately before moving here. People love to complain about traffic around here, and it's true the roads are older and built for a much smaller population (especially the surface streets, which are mostly one lane and will back up forever when someone needs to turn left), but if the OP's used to dealing Boston, he/she should be fine.

Good luck with the job offer, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 05:06 AM

298 posts, read 341,232 times
Yes, I need a garage. I am a car enthusiast, have two "limited use" sports cars, one is a convertible, the other is a vintage car, so yes both those need to be stored inside. A property with a barn or shed (something large enough to install a lift) would be even better. I've done condo/townhome living and I'm done with that. I don't like monthly fees, and I am able bodied and can do my own yard work! Plus I don't like the noise coming through the walls from my neighbors.

Schools do not matter, my children are college age now. At the same time, I don't want to live in a "redneck"/blue collar area, where people have boats and trailers and other misc junk in their yards. I would like to live in a well kept up neighborhood. As far as the city, if I am 15-20 min away I can always come into Durham to do things, but I prefer a peaceful/quiet setting at night when I go home and on the weekends.

I also do cycling, so being 10 miles out of town means being closer to where there is good riding- i.e. more rural + fewer cars.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:20 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
If I understand your wish list correctly to be:

Within 20 minutes of downtown Durham during rush hour
A 2 car garage
No HOA fees, but restrictions on neighbors ability to park boats, cars, rvs, etc. and yard maintenance requirements
A rural or semi-rural setting

Thats going to be extremely difficult to find, maybe impossible? You'll most likely have to compromise on something.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:22 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
Yes, I need a garage. I am a car enthusiast, have two "limited use" sports cars, one is a convertible, the other is a vintage car, so yes both those need to be stored inside. A property with a barn or shed (something large enough to install a lift) would be even better. I've done condo/townhome living and I'm done with that. I don't like monthly fees, and I am able bodied and can do my own yard work! Plus I don't like the noise coming through the walls from my neighbors.

Schools do not matter, my children are college age now. At the same time, I don't want to live in a "redneck"/blue collar area, where people have boats and trailers and other misc junk in their yards. I would like to live in a well kept up neighborhood. As far as the city, if I am 15-20 min away I can always come into Durham to do things, but I prefer a peaceful/quiet setting at night when I go home and on the weekends.

I also do cycling, so being 10 miles out of town means being closer to where there is good riding- i.e. more rural + fewer cars.
I would check out the northwestern Cary area, maybe even the Chatham county portion since schools aren't a factor. You'd be close to more rural areas for cycling, and also the American tobacco trail is on that side, which I believe you could bike to DT Durham from (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Depending on what part of the Boston area you're from (I'm from there as well), you may have an issue with crime levels in some parts of Durham itself.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:24 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Lots of houses with your price and characteristics near me near the Durham Chatham line

The furthest edge of a twenty minute commute to downtown is south Durham

Old 11-08-2019, 05:26 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I interviewed for a job in Durham NC, will hear in late November if I am chosen. (Moving from Boston area). What is the housing market like? Given that the company is in downtown Durham, where could I buy a (single family) home and have an easy commute? By easy I mean 20 minutes or less.

Quote:
Budget would be $350-450k. Looking for a 3+ bedroom, 2.5 bath with at least 2 car garage.

Is that a Boston budget? I.e., I think you will find you will get more house for your money in Durham.
From all directions from downtown Durham. It depends on a deeper dive into what you really need in a home.

The 20 minutes or less is a bit of a limiting factor, but everything else you seek is easily available.
Check out Woodcroft. Pretty neighborhood, very popular, and good houses move fast. Average sales are in the $300,000 range, with some in the upper $300,000's.
The commute should be OK.

Check out Brightleaf. I think the commute will be OK. Probably the full 20. There is even one with a 3 car garage on the market, but probably will be gone when you are in shopping mode.

Take a cruise through neighborhoods along Fayetteville Rd, and Cornwallis Road. Plenty of houses that you may find a fit.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:41 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:

Based on this I'd definitely suggest focusing on the aforementioned Garrett/Pickett area. Very leafy area with homes on larger lots and while you are in the city limits; the neighborhoods are fairly "scattered" so it feels like you are further out. You'd be right next to Duke Forest which has tons of biking trails.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:46 PM

298 posts, read 341,232 times
Boston housing market is awful. Mostly older stock, high prices, high demand, often multiple offers. I am currently living in a 3 bedroom Townhome (here it's called a condo). About 2300 SF, 2 car garage , full basement. Monthly carrying cost is $3000 ($2600 mortgage + taxes and another $300 a month HOA fee). My place here will likely sell for $550k, but I don't need/want to spend that much in NC. Maybe $350-400k

Well put differently, I don't want a HOA fee unless it's minimal. There are some developments that have an HOA, but mainly for the purpose of enforcing certain rules. But otherwise, it's more just wanting to be in a neighborhood where people keep up their properties. Towns can vary as to whether they allow boats and RVs to be parked on your property. Honestly it doesn't really bother me if its used, but I have a neighbor here that has a boat sitting under a tarp and it hasn't moved in 5+ years. His back yard is a junk pit.

Houses in NC don't have basements? Do they flood? Or just no need for a basement? Where do people store their extra stuff?

Old 11-09-2019, 02:54 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:

Houses in NC don't have basements? Do they flood? Or just no need for a basement? Where do people store their extra stuff?
Basements exist, but they're not typical. Storage is usually in attics, in or above garages, in backyard sheds, or in self-storage units.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:56 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
No need for basement because the frost/heave line is only a couple of inches here. Extra stuff: garage, attic, out building, or one of the billion self-store places around here. Homes in low areas can flood and we get the occasional hurricane to flood the area.

My neighborhood has an HOA because we have retention ponds and have to keep them going and some land we have to maintain (entrance, around the ponds, etc.).

I think TarHeelNick gave some good areas to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary