U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 06:58 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,067,623 times

Advertisements

https://www.wral.com/apex-police-inv...cles/18751800/

Enough is enough. Lower the speed limits and put more traffic patrols on the roads.

This is the apartment complex between Daniel's and Aldi by the way - right where it drops from 50mph to 45, but everyone goes 60 of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 07:19 AM

6,866 posts, read 8,447,931 times
While unfortunate, the speed limit is not the problem. Wearing dark clothing and possibly jaywalking across a very busy highway would be tricky.

Worse is that the later vehicles (if that’s corroborated) did not stop. That’s both a legal and moral failure on their parts.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
While unfortunate, the speed limit is not the problem. Wearing dark clothing and possibly jaywalking across a very busy highway would be tricky.

Worse is that the later vehicles (if that’s corroborated) did not stop. That’s both a legal and moral failure on their parts.
Disagree. Going 60mph in that stretch is extremely unsafe.

Wearing dark clothing doesn't help, but it's a well lit area.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 AM

319 posts, read 136,971 times
I think 2 things would fix it.

1. More cops to stop the insane driving around here
2. Cops enforcing no texting while driving laws

Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 AM
DPK

3,664 posts, read 4,000,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Disagree. Going 60mph in that stretch is extremely unsafe.

Wearing dark clothing doesn't help, but it's a well lit area.
It's definitely an unfortunate accident, but that stretch is NC-55 and part of the problem is that all that residential development was allowed right up to it there. I also don't think the speed limit is the problem here and I question why a pedestrian was trying to cross right there when there's no marked crossing. There's a crosswalk at Jenks Road just a few blocks up from there.

No where in that article does it say 60mph so we're being speculative here on the speed already of this accident. More can be done sure, but outside of sticking a damn wall alongside NC-55 you aren't really going to detour people from trying to cross.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 AM

1,417 posts, read 807,382 times
I don't see a crosswalk there, so I'm not understanding how speed is an issue here.

Next time walk to the crosswalk? That area of 55 is not intended to be crossed.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 AM

4,086 posts, read 2,797,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't see a crosswalk there, so I'm not understanding how speed is an issue here.

Next time walk to the crosswalk? That area of 55 is not intended to be crossed.
There is also a pretty significant lack of crosswalks and complete disregard for them by many drivers in that part of town as well.

A few months ago I turned right off 55 into BCC and saw some tweens crossing AT THE CROSSWALK to get to the Panda Express. I stopped to let them cross; much to the annoyance of the Kia behind me who swerved around me to the other lane and missed the kids by maybe 2 feet as they were in front of my car.

Insanity.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:01 AM

3,170 posts, read 4,226,614 times
Not that I'd want to attempt it in the dark with traffic around at that location, but it's an unmarked crosswalk at this spot and pedestrians have the right of way. Right of way doesn't defeat steel though.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 AM

I drive that stretch and people consistently do 60+. It's a 45 and it's pretty standard around here for people to do 10-15 mph over the limit, cause they can.

Speed may or not have been a factor here, but lowering the speed limits gives people more time to react. It's not likely these drivers said "hey look at this guy not in a crosswalk, I think I'll now him over!". It's more likely they saw him at some point and were unable to stop. Dark clothing sure doesn't help, and not being in a crosswalk.

I'm not placing blame here, but the roads here are not build to handle people going 60mph. Either do a better job of citing people who do, or see if lowering the limits help.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM

17,360 posts, read 26,685,459 times
That's a terrible place to cross the road and it happens all day long and the people coming from that apartment complex mosey across like it's a 2 lane county road that no one might be on. I'm not entirely blaming the pedestrian here but I can guarantee you this person was ambling across the road wearing dark clothing and assuming they'd be seen and people will slow or stop. Look at the deer carcasses that litter that same area. I think the town has been negligent in not placing some barrier to prevent it but that would be ugly (although 55 has gotten pretty ugly)....but maybe the lighted pedestrian crosswalk needs to go there.

I don't disagree it's time to lower speed limits if they want to develop every square inch of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or