Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 AM

338 posts, read 1,615,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

I've been to a bunch of produce stands and have done quite well with the local grocers but for variety and availability nothing beats the Farmers Market. And we're not talking about making daily or even weekly runs, are we?
Considering strawberry season is only 4-6 weeks long (depending on the weather that particular year) I am talking weekly runs...several times a week actually! Once you get NC strawberries you'll stop buying California strawberries at the grocery store and you'll want to get as many good berries as you can during the NC season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:08 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,024,587 times
I do go weekly, but only because I have to drive my daughter to school downtown on 40 several times a week so I pass the Farmer's Market exit anyway! I try to squeeze in a weekly visit when I'm already there.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,413,051 times
Have we had warm enough weather, long enough for strawberries in our area? It seems about right to be picking them down on the coast, but I wouldn't think they'd be ripe yet, here.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,664,628 times
Here's a list of pick your own sites from the N & O:

newsobserver.com | Pick-your-own sites (http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/1046705.html - broken link)

Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Have we had warm enough weather, long enough for strawberries in our area? It seems about right to be picking them down on the coast, but I wouldn't think they'd be ripe yet, here.
I always start looking for them on tax day! And if we stay away from the hot weather we may be lucky and get them into late May

Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM

Thumbs up Strawberry Picking

If anyone is looking for something to do this weekend (or after work during the week) go strawberry picking! I took my dad out to Hunt's on Watkins Rd. in East Raleigh and I've never seen so many strawberries laying there begging to be picked. I had a 5 quart bucket filled in 10 minutes. They're beautiful and PLENTIFUL. I'm sure that all of the local fields are in the same boat with fields bursting with berries. Take the kids and take the camera! Support our NC farmers as they need to get those berries picked so they don't lose them!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:16 PM

319 posts, read 1,475,345 times
I went to the berry patch past Southpoint Mall on Saturday. What fun!!!! My partner and I had to stop picking. Since it is just the two of us, there is no way we can eat that many strawberries. We got about 5 pounds for $5.70. Definately support the local farmers. I will never eat CA strawberries again. I am off to make a berry smoothie--6 frozen strawberries, a splash of orange juice, two tablespoons of yogart, and a 1/3 cup of whey protein powder. Yummy!

EAN'S BERRY PATCH Corner of N.C. 751 and Lewter Shop Road, Apex, 362-5800, Jean's Berry Patch Home Page.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM

17,532 posts, read 15,267,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
There's a strawberry farm in Cary near Highcroft that we went to last June and picked strawberries with my then 2 and 3 year old. They were delicious and the kids had a blast.
Oh thank you for that! I live in Cary and adore strawberries (and could live on them) and am thinking I'm going to need to start picking them myself to keep up with my 'habit.'

Old 05-05-2008, 01:29 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,664,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Oh thank you for that! I live in Cary and adore strawberries (and could live on them) and am thinking I'm going to need to start picking them myself to keep up with my 'habit.'
We went to Holland's Farm on Saturday and picked. It was quite fun, but when we got home we realized our 3 year old needs a lesson in how to pick the perfect strawberry. It's a great family outing, especially for strawberry lovers.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:07 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,328,965 times
I plan to go tomorrow to strawberry pick in Apex/Cary.
Is Phillips better or Hollands? Any difference? They both open tomorrow.
Hollands charges $1.50/lb. No idea how much Phillips is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary