Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 09:42 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Apex Christmas parade last night was great. Went off without a hitch. They've added about 153456453453 more high school and middle school marching bands; when it used to just be Apex, Cary, and Green Hope several years ago....but hey that's cool.

Only inappropriate thing I witnessed was a middle-aged drunk guy who was heckling the kids in the chorus, band, and jump-roping groups if he didn't feel they were singing, jumping, or playing loud enough or directly in front of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 10:18 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Apex Christmas parade was great! Was great to watch the schools!

So good that none of these Confederacy groups were there and no counter protestors for them. They shouldn't be allowed in any Christmas parade.

Some drunk people around, but that's expected everywhere these days.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:44 PM

54 posts, read 41,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Apex Christmas parade last night was great. Went off without a hitch. They've added about 153456453453 more high school and middle school marching bands; when it used to just be Apex, Cary, and Green Hope several years ago....but hey that's cool.

Only inappropriate thing I witnessed was a middle-aged drunk guy who was heckling the kids in the chorus, band, and jump-roping groups if he didn't feel they were singing, jumping, or playing loud enough or directly in front of him.
There was a small military vehicle with a few people in military garb in it that I thought were veterans, then saw a little confederate flag at rear of vehicle, it gave me pause to wonder if they were real vets, but whatever.

Absolutely loved seeing all the marching bands even if they weren’t from Apex, it gave me the feels to see disciplined local kids working together like that.

The monster trucks were neat.

The electric company vehicle with the guy hanging was so super cool, although I gasped that they showed their face with the Bella Casa construction drama happening now.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:16 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarinaO View Post
There was a small military vehicle with a few people in military garb in it that I thought were veterans, then saw a little confederate flag at rear of vehicle, it gave me pause to wonder if they were real vets, but whatever.

Absolutely loved seeing all the marching bands even if they weren’t from Apex, it gave me the feels to see disciplined local kids working together like that.

The monster trucks were neat.

The electric company vehicle with the guy hanging was so super cool, although I gasped that they showed their face with the Bella Casa construction drama happening now.
Haha yeah that was great. I was watching the parade with family friends who live in Bella Casa.....they were thoroughly unimpressed.

I was pretty sure that vehicle you were talking about had a WWII vet in the passenger seat; didn't notice the confederate flag though.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 AM

57 posts, read 47,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I completely agree that the SoC doesn't really have a place in a Christmas parade. I'm generally not a fan, but also have to acknowledge there is a difference between the SoC and other organizations that go further (like the KKK). However.... if a city were to ban all politically affiliated groups from parades in order to avoid this sort of issue (and I realize they probably don't have the right to do that, but just conjecturing here) -- wouldn't parades lose a lot of participants? Because it seems like there are a lot of organizers for political candidates (especially in election years) that participate (I no longer live in NC so my perspective might be off, as memories of all parades begin to blur together -- here there are no SoC chapters but certainly a lot of involvement of political parties in parades). And connected to that, the ban should probably extend to all churches too, since many disagree with various beliefs that they would represent. And also any organization that concentrates on one specific type of cause/interest to the exclusion of others, because that could be deemed offense/exclusionary. And so on and so forth. So although I might initially personally favor the idea of a ban of a group like this, I can see the logical end to it as well. One (or, quite frankly, most people) might not agree with the viewpoints of the SoC, but I think any sort of official ban in the name of tolerance would actually go down a path that would be ruinous to all in the end.

But we'll probably go down that path anyway. Seems the way of the world now.
I attended both the Raleigh and Knightdale Christmas parades. I don't remember seeing any politically affiliated groups only some local elected officials. I'm not sure how you could exclude religious organizations from a parade celebrating a religious event though.

While I am no fan of the SoC, I wonder how credible this threat really was. It could just be something that was started to sow division and conflict.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 AM

386 posts, read 436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
The Christmas Parade in Apex is done by the Apex Rotary. I have only been once, but I do not recall any controversial groups being involved.
Here's the controversy in Apex... They will not allow you to dress up as Santa if you're walking in or riding on a float in the parade. There is one Santa, and he rides in at the end. Don't steal his thunder. Don't confuse the younger kids with multiple Santas. You can wear a Santa hat, but try to put on a fake beard and a fat suit and you'll be asked to hop in your Odyssey or Sienna and head home. Rules are rules.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
what's going on with Bella Casa?

Old 12-09-2019, 09:54 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
It's only a matter of time before all Xmas parades are nixed. Who knows what will be offensive next year. The color combination of red and green may be next. It's impossible to predict.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Why would they need to step aside though when they've participated in these exact parades for a number of years
Because it's not all about them and times change?

Old 12-09-2019, 10:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
It's only a matter of time before all Xmas parades are nixed. Who knows what will be offensive next year. The color combination of red and green may be next. It's impossible to predict.
Nah... people like parades. I think it's more like people who expect the parades to be about Christian Christmas only and not some sort of fun, holiday parade that includes every sort of holiday people might celebrate this time of year who are going to be disappointed in how things go in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary