Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 10:45 AM

26 posts, read 21,904 times

Advertisements

Yes, the fine folks wearing masks to hide their identity as they use weapons to literally beat tolerance into anyone who doesn't share their views. It's obviously the good fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 12:45 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
As a WF resident (although a non native Southerner), my opinions on this.

1. It really sucks for the kids; which is (in my house) what this season is really about. My daughter (5) started dance this year and her first event was supposed to be this parade. I feel badly for her.

2. The town itself, per the town communication office, sponsors the parade, thus they can't limit who marches in it (or so we have been told).

3. The mayor's quotes on this leave much to be desired. She blamed "outside groups bringing their politics into it" which is only half true. UDC/SCV are in fact, to many, also "political" groups, or at the very least not apolitical; especially when you factor in both groups involvement with the Lost Cause Mythology. She can't blame the outside group while ignoring what the other group represents to a good portion of the population.

4. As for the points about "honoring your heritage", a Christmas Parade aint the place for it. Sorry I'm not sorry. Then again I'm a Yankee Carpetbagger whose ancestors were occupying troops in Nashville and Murfreesboro during the Civil War so who am I to say much. This parade should be about bringing the community together in the spirit of the season. I don't see how having any group with political-ish roots achieves that goal.

5. The outside groups should find a more appropriate and productive manner to express their grievances. Ruining a parade aimed at kids isn't going to endear many to your cause regardless of how noble (or not) it may be.

Last edited by GVoR; 12-05-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-05-2019, 12:51 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

1. It really sucks for the kids; which is (in my house) what this season is really about. My daughter (5) started dance this year and her first event was supposed to be this parade. I feel badly for her.

2. The town itself, per the town communication office, sponsors the parade, thus they can't limit who marches in it (or so we have been told).

3. The mayor's quotes on this leave much to be desired. She blamed "outside groups bringing their politics into it" which is only half true. UDC/SCV are in fact, to many, also "political" groups, or at the very least not apolitical; especially when you factor in both groups involvement with the Lost Cause Mythology. She can't blame the outside group while ignoring what the other group represents to a good portion of the population.

4. As for the points about "honoring your heritage", a Christmas Parade aint the place for it. Sorry I'm not sorry. Then again I'm a Yankee Carpetbagger whose ancestors were occupying troops in Nashville and Murfreesboro during the Civil War so who am I to say much. This parade should be about bringing the community together in the spirit of the season. I don't see having any group with political-ish roots achieves that goal.

5. The outside groups should find a more appropriate and productive manner to express their grievances. Ruining a parade aimed at kids isn't going to endear many to your cause regardless of how noble (or not) it may be.
Well said.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:08 PM

781 posts, read 743,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
How about we protest NY pizza in NY?

Protest all you like, NY or Chicago pizza isn’t racist or controversial.

As a left leaning moderate, I’d be more tolerant of this group if the climate in our country hadn’t just been set back 50 years. Sorry, you can’t have your cake and eat it too!

Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Exactly. I know it won't be a popular opinion, but the Sons of Confederate Veterans are not the ones in the wrong here. They have been part of the Wake Forest Christmas Parade for years. A left-wing group apparently called up and made threats because of the Sons of Confederate Veterans' participation, necessitating the cancellation.

At least that's how I understand it.
You understand this or you have proof of this? Or do you just THINK this?

Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
My son’s theatre class was to do the parade after performing their Christmas play that morning at WFHS. Needless to say he is very disappointed.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 AM

329 posts, read 250,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Protest all you like, NY or Chicago pizza isn’t racist or controversial.

As a left leaning moderate, I’d be more tolerant of this group if the climate in our country hadn’t just been set back 50 years. Sorry, you can’t have your cake and eat it too!
Sheesh, what a horrible argument. Controversial stuff shouldn't be in a Christmas parade? I find Santa controversial, so your relativistic argument makes 0 sense.

NY pizza is just as controversial as the confederacy. It comes from Italians, a.k.a Roman's. Do you need a history lesson on the Roman Republic and Empire?

Oh, it hasn't "just" been set back 50 years. Its BEEN setback 50 years, starting around 2010.

You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Do you understand what is happening here?

"Groups that contact us about their plans to protest tend to follow our rules and regulations. We’re concerned about outside agitators that don’t notify us. Radicals don’t typically call ahead. These aren’t area residents we’re talking about. These are professional protesters who have no regard for the safety and well-being of others."

"Police had received credible information that protesters had grown from fewer than 10 to more than 200 in less than two days."

That says it all. This is what our small local towns are up against. Groups are busing in protesters and wreaking havoc. They don't live here. They don't shop here. They are not our neighbors. They stir up trouble, break a few windows, chat and wale, then take the bus back to their home city. They do a bang up fine job of turning us against one another when they don't even live here.

If you keep them in the parade one side flips out and buses in their protesters. You kick them out the other side flips out and buses in their protesters. . Either way the other 90% of us lose out debating about these stupid 10%. Eventually turning us against one another.. ...AND THEY DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE.
Remember that Charlotte debacle with all the "agitators?" ... yeah, 90 percent of those people were bussed in... and Charlotte couldn't even handle it. SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

4. As for the points about "honoring your heritage", a Christmas Parade aint the place for it. Sorry I'm not sorry. Then again I'm a Yankee Carpetbagger whose ancestors were occupying troops in Nashville and Murfreesboro during the Civil War so who am I to say much. This parade should be about bringing the community together in the spirit of the season. I don't see how having any group with political-ish roots achieves that goal.

Well said.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:13 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Sheesh, what a horrible argument. Controversial stuff shouldn't be in a Christmas parade? I find Santa controversial, so your relativistic argument makes 0 sense.

NY pizza is just as controversial as the confederacy. It comes from Italians, a.k.a Roman's. Do you need a history lesson on the Roman Republic and Empire?

Oh, it hasn't "just" been set back 50 years. Its BEEN setback 50 years, starting around 2010.

You seriously cannot believe this stuff. I pray you do not believe this stuff.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:18 AM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:

Oh, I see what you did here. Extreme sarcasm? Is that correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary