Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM

6,325 posts, read 5,415,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What's amazing to me is the left tries to preach tolerance and "inclusion". There was nothing wrong with the parade until all of a sudden the left gets upset and starts sending in protesters...that's some "tolerance" lol. And now people are blaming the SoC folks for the cancellation.

Just...amazing.

I'm completely unbiased on the subject but from the outside looking in this looks like a result of SJW northerners moving down in mass who refuse to assimilate.
Ok but....the bolded is clearly not the case.

On a lighter note. Looking forward to the Apex Christmas Parade tomorrow. No confederates, no protesters....just a fun, local, seasonal celebration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 12:34 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,652,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Exactly. And this is what happens when people/government/leadership continue to create an atmosphere of divisiveness rather than letting people feel as if we are one country. Like saying there are "very fine people on both sides."

It will continue to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's human nature to want to live around people like you. It would be impossible to stop clustering, you're going against evolution at that point.

Kinda like trying to limit sex drive...not happening!

Huh? What does your reply have anything to do with mine? That it's okay to make the dialogue for making America white again?

Last edited by Universe93B; 12-06-2019 at 12:56 PM..

Old 12-06-2019, 12:35 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
If you get bent out of shape over people's ancestral ties from centuries before, why cant I get bent out of shape by the same? Are y'all a privileged class?

In fact, the Italian flag nowadays is the same as was used by Mussolini. That would be Hitlers lapdog.

I think we need to demand all Italian restaurant in Little Italy up North remove the Italian colors and flags from their storefronts. Its racist. Mussolini assisted with Germanys final solution.

If you dont agree with me you're a racist, homophobe, bigot, who deserves to lose your job, friends, social status and business ties. I am tolerant, and peace loving.

Yeah, this isn't real. No one was speaking about ancestral ties. You were speaking about pizza. Generally I have greek pizza, actually.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:56 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,092,978 times
Stay on topic. This is about the Christmas parade cancellation, and not about Confederate reenactments, Nazi Germany, Mussolini, or NY pizza.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:01 PM

My 2 cents, since a report brought me here:

Any group whose presence at what should be a fun, family event who is informed that said presence will result in protests and a cancellation of said event would do good to ask themselves whether or not being there in that capacity is the hill they want to die on, so to speak.

The Sons/Daughters of the Confederacy have very little, as an organization, to do with Christmas, Baby Jesus, or Santa Claus (things that ARE associated with Christmas).

Soo.... perhaps save that parade walk for Veteran's Day or something?

Or come participate in some other capacity?

Again, my 2 cents. I actually have zero issue with people who do war/battle reenactments. I'm all about history in that capacity, as I think much can be learned from it.

Has nothing to do with Christmas or the holiday season, though.

So, maybe them opting to participate in another way would have kept this event fun for EVERYONE, eh?

Old 12-06-2019, 01:02 PM

329 posts, read 248,128 times
How is that not on topic? The issue at hand is cancellation because of Confederate memorabilia.

People call folks with Confederate memorabilia Nazis.

We are differentiating that, and that's not on topic? That entire idea caused this local cafuffle.

But go ahead and ban me for having a different viewpoint hahaha. Facebook-lite

Old 12-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
How is that not on topic? The issue at hand is cancellation because of Confederate memorabilia.

People call folks with Confederate memorabilia Nazis.

We are differentiating that, and that's not on topic? That entire idea caused this local cafuffle.

But go ahead and ban me for having a different viewpoint hahaha. Facebook-lite
Come on... don't be dramatic.

It's off topic in that it's not about the actual parade.

If you want to have a conversation about Confederates, Nazis, or anything of the sort in terms of comparisons and the fairness, I invite you to head over to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Remember that Charlotte debacle with all the "agitators?" ... yeah, 90 percent of those people were bussed in... and Charlotte couldn't even handle it. SMH

One thing I always ask myself re: the "bused in agitators" is: are there plenty of people who live and work in these cities and towns who share the views of those "agitators" but do not feel comfortable protesting, BECAUSE they have to live and work there after the protest is over?

The "agitators" being brought in feel free to protest and then go home to wherever they live, free of worry that people who live near them will be targeting them and their property.

Anyway... food for thought.

We simply do not know. It's possible that there are plenty of people who live in/near WF and Garner who do not want people in Confederate uniforms marching in the Christmas parades.

Since the Confederacy has nothing to do with Christmas, seems like not a bad idea to opt out.

But, hey... I'm just trying to be practical and not fight the Civil War again.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,326,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
You should read up on the concept of The Paradox of Tolerance. Its a philosophical concept dating back to WW2 and advanced by Karl Popper with roots/debate dating back even further, to none other than Thomas Jefferson.

Just so we're clear. Your opinion is that for a Northerner to truly assimilate here....they must buy in on the CSA legacy/heritage?

If so......wow.
No not really....but maybe a little appreciation for where these people who have a float in the parade come from and have called their home for generations is in order.

WF is quickly becoming a suburb of NJ, so I guess they will soon push most of the locals out and we won't have this annoying problem anymore!

I'm not from here either...moved for the COL and economic climate. We have done well here. But I haven't attempted to ram down my views on my neighbors who have spent generations here.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM

555 posts, read 496,495 times
I completely agree that the SoC doesn't really have a place in a Christmas parade. I'm generally not a fan, but also have to acknowledge there is a difference between the SoC and other organizations that go further (like the KKK). However.... if a city were to ban all politically affiliated groups from parades in order to avoid this sort of issue (and I realize they probably don't have the right to do that, but just conjecturing here) -- wouldn't parades lose a lot of participants? Because it seems like there are a lot of organizers for political candidates (especially in election years) that participate (I no longer live in NC so my perspective might be off, as memories of all parades begin to blur together -- here there are no SoC chapters but certainly a lot of involvement of political parties in parades). And connected to that, the ban should probably extend to all churches too, since many disagree with various beliefs that they would represent. And also any organization that concentrates on one specific type of cause/interest to the exclusion of others, because that could be deemed offense/exclusionary. And so on and so forth. So although I might initially personally favor the idea of a ban of a group like this, I can see the logical end to it as well. One (or, quite frankly, most people) might not agree with the viewpoints of the SoC, but I think any sort of official ban in the name of tolerance would actually go down a path that would be ruinous to all in the end.

But we'll probably go down that path anyway. Seems the way of the world now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary