Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:34 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times

Advertisements

It looks like many of the people on this forum are shopping for a house, and the ones that aren't are probably realtors trolling for customers. . . . . so. . .

What has been your biggest surprise when viewing (or listing) a house for sale? Have you ever said "What were they thinking?!!!"

My wife and I just went to look at a house this week. It was in a beautiful neighborhood in North Raleigh -- big houses on 1 acre wooded lots. The subdivision is only 10 years old. The house was very nice on the outside, but the landscaping looked a little neglected. That should have been a warning to us. Once inside, we discovered that the house was a MESS. It looked like these people had never cleaned the house or repaired anything in the 10 years that they'd lived there. I've seen better looking foreclosures. Different colored carpet in every room, cabinet doors falling off the hinges, peeling wallpaper, a 1/8" layer of dust, etc. You'd have to strip the house down to the bare walls and start over.

What's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
It looks like many of the people on this forum are shopping for a house, and the ones that aren't are probably realtors trolling for customers. . . . .
OR, natives who want to make sure the newcomers are getting all the right info.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:47 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
It looks like many of the people on this forum are shopping for a house, and the ones that aren't are probably realtors trolling for customers. . . . . so. . .

What has been your biggest surprise when viewing (or listing) a house for sale? Have you ever said "What were they thinking?!!!"

My wife and I just went to look at a house this week. It was in a beautiful neighborhood in North Raleigh -- big houses on 1 acre wooded lots. The subdivision is only 10 years old. The house was very nice on the outside, but the landscaping looked a little neglected. That should have been a warning to us. Once inside, we discovered that the house was a MESS. It looked like these people had never cleaned the house or repaired anything in the 10 years that they'd lived there. I've seen better looking foreclosures. Different colored carpet in every room, cabinet doors falling off the hinges, peeling wallpaper, a 1/8" layer of dust, etc. You'd have to strip the house down to the bare walls and start over.

What's your story?
We didn't have any real horror stories like that...but we did not bid on one house that I acutally loved the layout on, but had the ugliest wallpaper in EACH AND EVERY room....and it didn't even match each other!

The only other thing I saw was dark green carpet in EVERY room....we actually saw that in several homes (each about 5 years old) so it must have been a fad for a time or some builder got a real deal when a mill when out of business.

There was one house though....2 acres next to the state park at falls lake....house was older...but for the location, I'd have lived. However....the property...OY! There were at least seven 'sheds' fulled with crud, the lean-to barn was....well....it looked sound, but it may have just been held up with all the old machinary, oil drums, chemicals.....I was just afraid of what we'd find.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I have looked at many many houses, and I think that very often, "what were they thinking". When we were looking for our own house, I was surprised at the condition of the homes based on the price range. I kept thinking, my house is on the market and I would NEVER let anyone see it in this condition. People just didn't seem to care that much.

I am sure that is why their homes lingered on the market. I too passed on homes with lots of green carpet (who on earth thought that would actually look good over the years????)

Leigh

Old 12-22-2006, 06:08 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
It seemed like almost every house we looked at had HORRIBLE wallpaper. We were really surprised at how many houses reeked of cigarette smoke. We ended up with a smoke-free house, but had to strip three rooms of wallpaper, which turned out to be a huge nightmare. Oh and we later found a gigantic mound of cigarette butts out in our backyard.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
It seemed like almost every house we looked at had HORRIBLE wallpaper. We were really surprised at how many houses reeked of cigarette smoke. We ended up with a smoke-free house, but had to strip three rooms of wallpaper, which turned out to be a huge nightmare. Oh and we later found a gigantic mound of cigarette butts out in our backyard.
At least they didn't smoke in the house! Smoke-free was one of the requirements we had.....we can't stand the smell at all. **shiver**

Old 12-22-2006, 07:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I showed a house recently where we were told to not go into bedroom #2 because of the SNAKE!

Vicki

Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:

What's your story?
I ran into that in Missouri last year when I was looking. I went into one house that looked very nice from the outside on 20 acres. Inside the man was sitting on a chair playing a violin..? And the woman I assume was his wife was sitting on a clothing strewn couch with a boob hanging out and a baby suckling. There were other people just sitting around doing nothing and the house had ankle deep clothing and debris strewn everywhere. There were plates lying around with leftover food, etc. It was disgusting.
Another house I went into had dog **** on the carpets and stains everywhere and smelled like it had been a kennel. The kitchen was filthy and it was clear that the owners weren't into sanitation.
Those houses I walked out of quickly and didn't bother to hide my disgust. I never saw houses so filthy in California when I looked at homes there and was shocked that so many were so filthy here. If I were the realtor for those people, I'd have made some kind of clause in our agreement that either the house was sp ic and span in a week of signing, or the contract void.
When I've sold houses I've owned, I've always gone far and beyond in cleaning them for viewing and making sure the lawns and landscaping are meticulous. It's hard to imagine people who live like pigs can expect their homes to sell.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:40 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
I took some clients into a house in Clayton that had about 15 mangy cats inside ( I am allergic to cats ) They were really scarey looking, like they wanted to attack. It stunk so bad, and I couldn't even tell what color the carpet was. I told them they were welcome to look, but I had to wait outside or I would of had an attack in there. They laughed and said no thanks. Works for me. I sent feedback back to that agent listing it that is was nasty. How could you not know. I try to view some now beforehand, not to waste anyones time. Then at another one a dog came flying out at us, with all his teeth in full view. I have quite a few funny stories, so never a dull moment in real estate. One day I'll write a book about all of this. Anyway happy holidays to all of you, and keep posting, I love reading.

Debbie

Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
At least they didn't smoke in the house! Smoke-free was one of the requirements we had.....we can't stand the smell at all. **shiver**
We made that same request and although many of the homes we viewed said they were smoke free for someone who doesn't smoke walking into a house where they might even have smoked one cigarette months ago one can pick it up! There was a home we liked but it just had a funny odor. I said a smoker but DH and the realtor said no they thought it was something else but who knows what. Some homes just had that old people live here smell. We were quite amazed at the condition many of the homes were in and found it amazing that people live like that. Holes in walls, carpet that needs to have the santitation dept called in. Stains from leaks on the walls and or ceilings. Hence in the end why we bought new!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary