Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 08:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Fact: Raleigh's violent crime rate is lower than Boston's.
Boston is a much larger and almost entirely urban city. Raleigh is almost entirely suburban with a very small urban core. Overall the crime rate is higher in Raleigh over Boston, which is pretty surprising considering what I just mentioned. Add in Durham and it's not even a comparison.

Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Have you ever lived around Boston?

Last edited by Yac; 12-30-2019 at 04:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 08:47 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Boston is a much larger and almost entirely urban city. Raleigh is almost entirely suburban with a very small urban core. Overall the crime rate is higher in Raleigh over Boston, which is pretty surprising considering what I just mentioned. Add in Durham and it's not even a comparison.

Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Have you ever lived around Boston?
Please don't move the goalposts, introduce extraneous comparisons, or ask irrelevant questions.

Last edited by Yac; 12-30-2019 at 04:29 AM..

Old 12-26-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Please don't move the goalposts, introduce extraneous comparisons, or ask irrelevant questions.
If you want to stick to facts:

- Overall crime (including violent crime) is higher in the Raleigh/Durham metro area than it is in the Boston metro area.

- Crime rates are lower in most Boston suburbs than they are in Raleigh/Durham suburbs.

Yes your comparison of one small part of the Triangle to an entire large urban city, is correct. There is technically less violent crime within the borders of Raleigh than there is the borders of Boston. The population of Boston proper is about the equivalent of all of Raleigh and Durham combined.

I, unlike you, have lived in both places. The OP is from NH, where in most places you can leave your doors unlocked at night and not have a worry in the world. I personally wouldn't tell him that he could do the same here.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
If you want to stick to facts:

- Overall crime (including violent crime) is higher in the Raleigh/Durham metro area than it is in the Boston metro area.

- Crime rates are lower in most Boston suburbs than they are in Raleigh/Durham suburbs.

Yes your comparison of one small part of the Triangle to an entire large urban city, is correct. There is technically less violent crime within the borders of Raleigh than there is the borders of Boston. The population of Boston proper is about the equivalent of all of Raleigh and Durham combined.

I, unlike you, have lived in both places. The OP is from NH, where in most places you can leave your doors unlocked at night and not have a worry in the world. I personally wouldn't tell him that he could do the same here.
Lets see, somebody made a comment upthread that seems pertinent here...let me see if I can find it...its here somewhere...oh yes, here it is:

*Shrug* nothing I've said is untrue.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Lets see, somebody made a comment upthread that seems pertinent here...let me see if I can find it...its here somewhere...oh yes, here it is:

*Shrug* nothing I've said is untrue.
So you posted something that you knew really wasn't relevant to the thread just in the hopes someone would disagree?

Sounds like the reason you were removed from this site the first time...

Old 12-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
So you posted something that you knew really wasn't relevant to the thread just in the hopes someone would disagree?
Not understanding...you brought up Boston versus Raleigh crime rates. i provided relevant information and context.

Quote:
Sounds like the reason you were removed from this site the first time...
No idea what this means either.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Not understanding...you brought up Boston versus Raleigh crime rates. i provided relevant information and context.

No idea what this means either.
Nowhere did anyone including myself specifically bring up Raleigh, until you did for the sole purpose of attempting to look smarter than others, argue with others, or whatever your typical forum goals are.

...and yes everyone knows about your dup account.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Nowhere did anyone including myself specifically bring up Raleigh, until you did for the sole purpose of attempting to look smarter than others, argue with others, or whatever your typical forum goals are.
LOL. The OP specifically said the "Raleigh area", which I believe Raleigh would be a part of, no? I think you're the one who needs to rethink his "typical internet goals".

But, please provide statistical evidence for your claim, and I'll be very careful here to quote you directly, that:

"Overall crime (including violent crime) is higher in the Raleigh/Durham metro area than it is in the Boston metro area."

To be clear, that means providing comparable data for violent and non-violent crime for the following metro areas:

1. Raleigh/Durham: Wake, Durham, Johnston, Franklin, Orange, Chatham, Person, Harnett, Lee, Vance and Granville Counties

2. Boston: Middlesex, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Plymouth, Bristol and Worcester Counties in MA; Rockingham, Strafford, Hillsborough, Merrimac and Belknap Counties in NH; and Providence, Kent, Washington, Newport and Bristol Counties in RI.

Go!

Last edited by Edward Teach; 12-26-2019 at 01:51 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 01:43 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603family View Post
Thanks everyone. I am really worried about the crime. Where I live now is a nice town and in a house. We could leave all doors unlocked and windows open and never have a problem with anything. Obviously wont be able to do that down there I just dont need to have my where we are living broken into and scaring my kids and everything like that.

Any suggestions on small towns with a decent distance to alot of work opportunities like the Raleigh area? Something good for the family. We like to go outside alot, that's why we want to move too so not stuck in the house all winter like we are here.( hate the cold and snow)
It depends on where you live. There are roaming criminals but they are limited mostly to the larger suburban areas. If you stay away from them there would be no real worries.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:06 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
LOL. The OP specifically said the "Raleigh area", which I believe Raleigh would be a part of, no? I think you're the one who needs to rethink his "typical internet goals".

But, please provide statistical evidence for your claim, and I'll be very careful here to quote you directly, that:

"Overall crime (including violent crime) is higher in the Raleigh/Durham metro area than it is in the Boston metro area."

To be clear, that means providing comparable data for violent and non-violent crime for the following metro areas:

1. Raleigh/Durham: Wake, Durham, Johnston, Franklin, Orange, Chatham, Person, Harnett, Lee, Vance and Granville Counties

2. Boston: Middlesex, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Plymouth, Bristol and Worcester Counties in MA; Rockingham, Strafford, Hillsborough, Merrimac and Belknap Counties in NH; and Providence, Kent, Washington, Newport and Bristol Counties in RI.

Go!

Why don't you two just have a duel and settle it once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary