Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 01:57 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

One of my Mexican-heritage coworkers brought a Rosca De Reyes (Kings Cake) to work on January 6th (Epiphany) and I was the one who found the Muneco (Christ child).

According to tradition, I'm now the baby's godfather, and am expected to throw a party on Feb 2nd (Sunday), complete with tamales and atole (a masa beverage).

Since we don't work on Sunday. . . . . and many of the people in my office are vegetarians. . . . . . and I have no intention of making tamales and atole for 2 dozen people, I've decided to take a few liberties with my responsibilities and just bring in some other Mexican treat for work on Monday.

My first thought was churros, but there may be other Mexican desserts and treats that may also work.

Unfortunately, a Google search has not been too successful in locating a bakery where I could purchase said treats.

My commute takes me up Kildaire Farm Road, around either Maynard or Cary Parkway, and across Evans. Does anyone know of a business along this route, or nearby, where I could find a treat for my coworkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 02:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I've seen tres leches cakes at Walmart so maybe the Walmart on the corner of Harrison and Maynard. That particular store also seems to have a large Hispanic clientele which might make your quest easier but I'm not sure I would leave this till Monday morning. Also note to self if I'm ever eating a cake on Epiphany and find the baby, hide it in someone else's slice.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
A google for "panaderia" in Cary came up with La Michoacana Bakery 114 SW Maynard Rd, Cary, NC 27511 (4.5 stars with 100+ reviews), and Panaderia Guadalajara 1379 SE Maynard Rd, Cary, NC 27511 (4.6 stars with 32 reviews). Vida Dulce is an awesome paletas and ice cream place, but they also have churros and other things. Might be worth a look at their menu.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I've seen tres leches cakes at Walmart . . . . .
I was thinking of tres leches cake also, so that certainly is an option. My wife has made them before, but says that they are difficult . . . . she said something about getting the egg mixture the correct consistency . . . . and is not willing to help me if I decide to bake one myself. Therefore I'd have to buy one.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
A google for "panaderia" in Cary came up with La Michoacana Bakery 114 SW Maynard Rd, Cary, NC 27511 (4.5 stars with 100+ reviews), and Panaderia Guadalajara 1379 SE Maynard Rd, Cary, NC 27511 (4.6 stars with 32 reviews). Vida Dulce is an awesome paletas and ice cream place, but they also have churros and other things. Might be worth a look at their menu.
I actually went to Michoacana bakery today. I was very confused. There was a small store/shop at one end of the strip mall. I went in and there was a row of glass front cases, containing mostly breads and cookies. The majority of the store was other food items on shelves, like a convenience store. At the other end of the strip mall was business that actually looked like a bakery, but it did not look like it was open to the public.

I also saw that Vida Dulce had churros on their menu. It looked like they came with 5 or 6 to a plate and were topped with whipped cream. Not sure if they sell them by the dozen, but it might be worth calling them.

I did not notice the Guadalajara bakery until I got back home from Michoacana and was doing more Googling. Their Facebook page only shows pictures of birthday cakes, and other similar cakes, so I'm not sure what all they have available.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I love Vida Dulce. They are super nice there. I bet they would be willing to make you churros minus the whipped cream if you decide to go that route.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:04 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
. . and is not willing to help me if I decide to bake one myself. Therefore I'd have to buy one.
LOL I'm sorry but I love this so much....that's so me - looking you right in the eye and telling you up front "you're on your own, dude". And then repeating it when you're right in the thick of it.

At any rate, the locations poppydog offered are pretty much ground zero for ethnic foods!

Old 02-01-2020, 04:38 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
There is a string of real Hispanic grocery stores on St. Albans Road between Wake Forest Road and New Hope Church Road that might have some ideas.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:23 PM

81 posts, read 55,082 times
You can also try La Panadería Espiga they’re open 7 days a week 7a-9:30p 2237 New Hope Church Rd, Raleigh, NC 27604 (919) 876-6060 Call and ask.

It’s right off New Hope Church and Atlantic Ave.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
There is a string of real Hispanic grocery stores on St. Albans Road between Wake Forest Road and New Hope Church Road that might have some ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetraveler View Post
You can also try La Panadería Espiga they’re open 7 days a week 7a-9:30p 2237 New Hope Church Rd, Raleigh, NC 27604 (919) 876-6060 Call and ask.

It’s right off New Hope Church and Atlantic Ave.
Nah. Too far away. I live down by Fuquay. Thanks for the suggestion though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary