Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times

Advertisements

just wondering if anyone here works for the state of NC. I applied for a job with the department of environment and natural resources. does anyone know anything about that department? any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
What sort of info. are you looking for? My dh is a state employee--11 years now...but he works with the Dept. of Transportation. He's also worked for Crime Control & Public Safety.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:19 PM

I guess I am looking for info on how difficult it is to get hired. how competitive are the jobs? do you need to know someone in order to get hired? the closing date for the job is the 2nd of june, when should I expect to hear something? also, how does he like working for the state?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
No, you don't have to already work for the state or know someone, though I think state employees usually are at an advantage--but not overwhelmingly so.

I will tell you this: the process is EXCRUCIATINGLY slow!! Red tape is at its most bureaucratic when it comes to government HR practices! After you apply, don't be surprised if you don't get called for a month or so, and then another 4-6 weeks after that before you hear anything (yea or nay) afterwards.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:45 PM

ugh, that blows. I am considering a follow up phone call. just to be sure they got the application. they gave me a name and number, I need to show that I am interested!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
My sister-in-law works for the DOT, and she likes her job quite a bit. The process is incredibly slow. I'm not sure what % of people actually find another job before they hear from the State, re: employment. If you can afford to sit-it-out, and are qualified for the job, it sounds like a decent position.

I'm not sure having family and/or friends who work for the State is necessarily a plus. If a job is to be filled internally, it usually will not be the one posted, but the one vacated, might be. If that makes sense. I think part of the reason it is so slow is that employers are required, by law, to advertise positions and look at qualified applicants. Perhaps the State puts forth an even more conscientious effort to do so?

I applied for a part-time job at UNCCH for which I was qualified, did the preferred online application process, had great references, the whole bit, and it still took about 6 weeks to get confirmation I was even in the 'interview process.' You sure can't be 'hurting' for employment in situations like that.

Good luck, jmarquise.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
It used to be that knowing someone helped but that's no longer the case. They "grade" the applications and mark them, "unqualified," "qualified," and "highly qualified." From the closing date, it could take 4 weeks or so before they're graded and sent to Raleigh. Then they go through them and decide which ones they want to follow up on. It could take 8-10 weeks before you know something. It is PAINFULLY slow!

Job satisfaction....he likes it. He knows he can count on his retirement, and after being there for 20 years, once he is of retirement age, the state will continue to pay for health insurance for him.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM

thanks everybody! I can always get a temp job until I hear something from them. I am highly qualified for the job. I am not really looking for too much here in wilmington as the job market here is slow and the cost of living isn't on par with wages.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
My son recently got hired and came back to NC from up North.

Most jobs were slow, but this hire was quick because they needed his skill set quickly.

Have patience. They usually are slow processes.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary