Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 5,657 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from Matthews, NC (right outside of Charlotte) to the Raleigh area for work. The office is in Morrisville, but I wont have to go in every day. I will work from home a significant amount of the time. I have a daughter that will start middle school (6th grade) next year.

I'm trying to decide between Cary/Apex/Holly Springs and Wake Forest. I grew up in a small town so I know what small town life is like, but its been 20+ years.

I keep reading that the schools are great in the area, which I'm excited about, but I have anxiety about sending my awesome 10 year old to a small town school. She's a straight A student, funny, goofy, sort of a dork, and the only sport she ever took to was basketball. She's really into her D&D club at school right now. She's a great kid, just not your typical 10 year old girly girl.

We don't go to church, although I do believe in God. Both myself and my husband are tattooed liberals -- but not really "in your face" pushy people. We don't eat Kale or anything like that, we just believe in basic human decency, voting rights, and want affordable healthcare for all. We just don't want to feel uncomfortable if we show up to a basketball game with our sleeves showing. Get what I'm saying?

We have a 8 month old Corgi and like to go to the dog park. We don't care about nightlife but love Trivia nights and poker nights with friends. Neither of us drink but don't mind people who do. We stay away from hipsters just as much as we stay away from snobby rich people. Gosh, I feel like i'm writing a personal ad here...

Given all that-- I guess what I'm asking is.. can anyone tell me which town we'd be most comfortable in? Or which town we would definitely be uncomfortable in?

I want to narrow down the search if I can because I have to move within the next 3 months and due to our work schedules we will probably only be able to visit 2 or 3 times before the move. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 11:14 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorox70 View Post
I'm relocating from Matthews, NC (right outside of Charlotte) to the Raleigh area for work. The office is in Morrisville, but I wont have to go in every day. I will work from home a significant amount of the time. I have a daughter that will start middle school (6th grade) next year.

I'm trying to decide between Cary/Apex/Holly Springs and Wake Forest. I grew up in a small town so I know what small town life is like, but its been 20+ years.

I keep reading that the schools are great in the area, which I'm excited about, but I have anxiety about sending my awesome 10 year old to a small town school. She's a straight A student, funny, goofy, sort of a dork, and the only sport she ever took to was basketball. She's really into her D&D club at school right now. She's a great kid, just not your typical 10 year old girly girl.

We don't go to church, although I do believe in God. Both myself and my husband are tattooed liberals -- but not really "in your face" pushy people. We don't eat Kale or anything like that, we just believe in basic human decency, voting rights, and want affordable healthcare for all. We just don't want to feel uncomfortable if we show up to a basketball game with our sleeves showing. Get what I'm saying?

We have a 8 month old Corgi and like to go to the dog park. We don't care about nightlife but love Trivia nights and poker nights with friends. Neither of us drink but don't mind people who do. We stay away from hipsters just as much as we stay away from snobby rich people. Gosh, I feel like i'm writing a personal ad here...

Given all that-- I guess what I'm asking is.. can anyone tell me which town we'd be most comfortable in? Or which town we would definitely be uncomfortable in?

I want to narrow down the search if I can because I have to move within the next 3 months and due to our work schedules we will probably only be able to visit 2 or 3 times before the move. Any help is appreciated!

Welll....
Cary is about the biggest small town around. Raleigh used to be, but they are trying too hard to be urban.
And, schools... Class sizes are huge, not like the 67 kids in my high school class in rural PA.

Office in Morrisville?
Even for irregular trips, I would select Cary, Apex, or even Morrisville.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Welll....
Cary is about the biggest small town around. Raleigh used to be, but they are trying too hard to be urban.
And, schools... Class sizes are huge, not like the 67 kids in my high school class in rural PA.

Office in Morrisville?
Even for irregular trips, I would select Cary, Apex, or even Morrisville.
Thanks. The only reason I wasn't considering Morrisville is because there seem to be only townhouses for sale when I was originally looking. We are wanting a single family home with some space between us and our neighbors.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:22 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Any thoughts on where your husband will work?

I don't really consider any of the towns you're considering the be "small town". And I don't really think you'd find yourself uncomfortable in any of the areas you're considering.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Any thoughts on where your husband will work?

I don't really consider any of the towns you're considering the be "small town". And I don't really think you'd find yourself uncomfortable in any of the areas you're considering.
That's good to hear! He's a home inspector and will be transferring within his company if all goes as planned

Old 03-08-2020, 11:25 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorox70 View Post
Thanks. The only reason I wasn't considering Morrisville is because there seem to be only townhouses for sale when I was originally looking. We are wanting a single family home with some space between us and our neighbors.
There are single family homes in Morrisville.
Budget, size of lots, and home features are factors in the mix.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:39 AM

54 posts, read 41,430 times
For what it’s worth I analyzed maximum northness without hitting plane noise, and maximizing access to 540 and ended up in western Apex. Ours is a new community and everyone is from all over and is so polite I can’t imagine any culture clash concerns.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:43 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
You sound like Cary to me. Second would be Holly Springs/Apex. Wake forest would be the most remote and a bit old fashioned.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You sound like Cary to me. Second would be Holly Springs/Apex. Wake forest would be the most remote and a bit old fashioned.
Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards. I'm finding some things in our price range right now and I'm sure more will come on the market in May/June when we'll be putting our home up for sale.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:56 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
I agree on Morrisville or Cary - why add a commute if you don't need to? If you are sensitive to noise, pay attention to the RDU flight patterns and railroad lines, as they can affect parts of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary