Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 09:03 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good financial advisor in the area? I'm at a loss, I have no idea where to look for these types of people.... yellow pages? word of mouth? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM

60 posts, read 215,230 times
Yes, a financial investment advisor, i.e. no retirement, college funds, etc. A 200k min.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times
Are you saying that YOU are a financial investment advisor? I'm confused.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 AM

60 posts, read 215,230 times
Nope, I'm not. If YOU meet the criteria for what I stated, I'll provide YOU with a name and number of a financial investment advisor I know who lives in the area.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
What are you looking for? In other words, are you just looking to have someone manage money in a brokerage account or are you looking to get a better picture of your entire financial picture and work toward filling in gaps? These are generally different people.

Someone who keeps close watch on your brokerage account spends his time doing just that--keepign close tabs on the stock market, specific funds, etc. This of course is very useful if you don't know how to/want to do this and have money. Generally only advisable for people with a fair amount of money to use ($100K being on the low end)

Then there is a financial planner who looks at the bigger picture. They can tell you where you'll be at age 65/55/whatever if you continue along your current path of savings. This can give you great insight into whether what you are doing is enough to get where you want to be. Also can work with you to look at various scenarios (will your family ahve enough to get by if you die? If your spouse dies? If you're permanently disabled, etc...so looks at life and disability insurance. Also looks at college (or other goal) savings. All the scenarios are computer-generated and can give you really good look at where you are/where you are short. Additionally can suggest investments which will lower your tax bracket when you are in retirement (which cannot be done once you're there....I can go into this more if you like, but best bet is to sit down and speak with someone). They don't look at investments daily, that's not their focus. They put you in diversified funds and then look at them quarterly.

I think these 2 people are not mutually exclusive. I'd start w/the bigger picture if you are just starting out/don't know where you stand/don't know much about finance. Then add someone to manage your accounts more actively as your money grows.

I do not work in this field (any longer--did years ago) so I am not selling anything here.

And go with personal references only--there are way too many people who are not good (as in any field) or who just pass through this field.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,422 times
Credit unions have good financial advisors/planners.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,356 times
Under the General Forums section, there is also this board: Business, Finance, and Investing Forum

If you search on the word "advisor" on the above board, you'll pull up past discussions. Of course, if you have specific questions about financial advisors, you can post your questions there as well. Trying to help. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary