U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:25 PM

104 posts, read 16,247 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this city? We currently live in California. The "high desert". Summers are 100-115* and winters it snows twice a year. Elevation is 3400 above sea level. We would like more green, less crime, cheaper houses. Our house sites on a 1/2 acre, is 1681 sq ft and built in 10/05. We have three kids. 11,14,16. My moms family was born in NC. They dated the family tree back to the 1800's there I heard. My girls enjoy the malls and shopping and my son and I enjoy riding our quads!

Any feedback would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,519,696 times
Ordinarily my advice would be to avoid Cary beacuse imo it is vastly overrated. But I would hands down choose Cary over the desert any day because I couldn't imagine no trees and no grass. Cary is a bedroom community of Raleigh and RTP. It's population is about 100,000. C-A-R-Y is known in NC as "Confined Area for Relocated Yankees. It puts many regulations on how you can design, build and decorate your house, as well as your yard. It also has the same standards for businesses, which is why the McDonalds in the town was the first EVER to not be allowed to build it's big golden arches on top of the building. The schools are pretty good, but your kids WILL almost certainly end up being redistricted sometime in their schooling (it's a county-wide school system). The area is heavily treed, with huge tall pines and oaks.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,590,342 times
If you choose to search, you will find PLENTY of info on this forum about Cary. It is infamous as iminformed stated for the "real" meaning of its name.
I have never been to Cary, but like many other places in NC, I would agree it is overrated. Probably a nice city, but so are alot of other towns and cities in NC. I dont really know why everyone wants to move there. (when I say everyone, its not the natives, but newcomers.)

Not saying you should necessarily avoid Cary, but there are many other places to live in NC besides Cary.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:52 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,848,215 times
I think you seem like you are wanting to be in Wake County. I myself like the Cary area, and yes I am a relocated northerner. I live in Raleigh though but may one day move to Cary, where several of my friends now live. There are many nice surrounding areas that are accessible to the Cary area. You have Apex, Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs, Raleigh, and also Wake Forest is a pretty nice community. The problem for me would be where to choose seeing that there are so many nice subdivisions and schools to choose from. Shopping isn't a problem, it is everywhere. Several new malls, as well as strip malls. The area has alot to offer children the ages of yours, as well as adults. If I can help you in anyway just let me know. I have pm you my website so you can take a look at the area yourself. Hopefully it will be of some help to you to explore the area and surrounding areas.

Good Luck with everything,

Debbie

Old 05-07-2006, 09:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,089,772 times
We are relocaring from CA as well. In the research I have done thus far with Cary initially being on the top of my list, I have found that you don't get as big of a lot in Cary. If you do you pay for it. I am now looking in North Raleigh. You seem to get more land and still have all the conceniences. We had out in June to do our IRL viewing! The natives on here may say I am misinformed and I may be, but thus far I have not found any larger lots in Cary under the $600K price mark.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
If you choose to search, you will find PLENTY of info on this forum about Cary. It is infamous as iminformed stated for the "real" meaning of its name.
I have never been to Cary, but like many other places in NC, I would agree it is overrated. Probably a nice city, but so are alot of other towns and cities in NC. I dont really know why everyone wants to move there. (when I say everyone, its not the natives, but newcomers.)

Not saying you should necessarily avoid Cary, but there are many other places to live in NC besides Cary.
Where else should I look?

Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,519,696 times
Not much diversity is good?

Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Not much diversity is good?
Depends. For me, yes. There are a lot of factors involved.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 22,418 times
I've lived in Cary for 40 out of 41 years, one more to go and I am out of here.
I do not want my daughter growing up here. Taxes, crime, traffic, rude people, expensive, strip malls on every corner,ect ect. Overcrowed schools.

We are moving to the Va mountains where people still wave with all 5 fingers and you can buy 3 times as much house for the same money. Luckily with my job I can go anywhere, I feel for the people who cant.

A woman was shot at an ATM in broad daylight at the Cary mall today and a pregnant young mother(8 months !) of 2 was murdered last week across the street from the Farmer's Market (and prob raped, why else was she partially nude?) while she was delivering newspapers. What kind of person hurts an obviously pregnant woman?

Cary isnt the problem though, it's Wake county and this whole area of North Carolina. Cary is actually a shiny spot on a rotten apple. The Cary police are excellent, but things are getting out of their hands.

I dont have any problem with the transplanted Yankees, 98% of them have been very nice and a pleasure to meet. Plus, they are the only ones who tip and tip well, and rarely complain about what you charge them for services.

Maybe things are worse where you are moving from but this isnt the kind of life I want any more or want for my wife or preschool daughter. My wife couldnt convince me to move to her hometown but Wake county did it for her.

Good luck and I sincerely hope that Cary is exactly what you wanted and that you are very happy here. There are much worse places I'm sure but there are much better too.

I reccommend Pittsboro, it's not far away and still has small town charm.
It's the only place here that still does. I should know, I drive 100 miles a day within Wake county in my work. I believe Pittsboro is just outside Wake county though. It's only 20 min outside Cary.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:04 PM

166 posts, read 452,528 times
Cary is overrated. We have been here 12 years and it has gone steadily downhill for the past 4 years or so. It used to be conveniently located to RTP, where most of the people who were moving here worked. Now traffic is so terrible it is virtually gridlock every day. I40 slows to a crawl in the bottle neck between the Rte1/Crossroads area and the Wade Avenue merge. There are accidents constantly. Not enough money to finish I540 that everyone knows is desperately needed. They didn't finish widening Hwy 55 through Apex either so that is completely useless if you live on the Holly Springs/Fuquay side of Rte 1. The schools in Cary are terribly overcrowded in the Davis Drive/Greenhope/Salem(Apex) area. Great if your kids are into Art-on-a-cart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary