Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM

52 posts, read 132,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galady View Post
What about the apex area? Does anyone know about the middle creek elementary and west lake schools? Where is this highway going that we keep hearing about? We liked a neighborhood called Jamison Park? Anyone have any info on that?
Jamison Park is the best neighborhood in that part of Cary, I have sold a home few years back. Heard Middle creek is good, dont know much abou west lake. Please check this site District Search Results Page It has report card of all wake County schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
You could spend a little less, and put your kids in private school. That is probably the only way to "guarantee" no redistricting

Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 PM

58 posts, read 149,093 times
Wherever you're moving, you'll more than likely be glad to be away from the traffic. I'm from Atlanta, myself. What these people pass off as traffic is nothing or "average" at most in relation to the Atlanta area. Durham is a total change for me (in a good way). It was a little odd at first to be the transplant (albeit, a southern one). Welcome!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:39 PM

166 posts, read 381,110 times
Quote:
What about the apex area? Does anyone know about the middle creek elementary and west lake schools? Where is this highway going that we keep hearing about? We liked a neighborhood called Jamison Park? Anyone have any info on that?
We've decided to go to private school to ensure stability for our kids. Its so bad in Wake County that we know people who have been reassigned 5 times in 5 years and never moved from their house. If you're interested in the Apex area, there is a new private school opening there called Thales. If you apply now you will likely get in for the coming year. Many of the other private schools have long wait lists. The national average for private school is 8% of general population. In Wake its something like 18%. If there were more private schools it would be higher.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
We are headed to the Raleigh area, along with many of you. I am so concerned about the school redistricting and how to avoid this. Safety in the schools is also something I need to feel good about. We are in the 600,000 range and really want a great neighborhood with tons of kids and great schools that won't be redistricted in a year/. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We move at the end of May.
I apologize for meddling financially, but as coltank said, if you're really concerned you might want to consider spending less and going private. Let me say first, that I grew up up in Raleigh, the Wake County public school system and I have faith that my child can have a good education here with planning and diligence on my part. That said, for a variety of reasons I need to consider Cary Academy for later grades when the time comes and none of them actually involve fear of redistricting.

Redistricting is going to be a possibility in Wake County so if you want to avoid it, private education may be your best bet. Migrating from Atlanta, I think the probability is high that you can get more house and land here, than most of the area you're from.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMom View Post
The national average for private school is 8% of general population. In Wake its something like 18%. If there were more private schools it would be higher.
I'm curious about the source of these facts. A quick internet search turns up a Wake County Growth Report that states that in 2003 about 9.9% of Wake county students attended private schools. While that data is 5 years old it seems pretty close to the 8% average and I find it doubtful that the number has doubled in less than 5 years time. Curiously, while looking for these figures I found some stats for Charlotte which supposedly does not have these "stability issues" Wake county faces. Surprisingly Charlotte had a similar percentage of students attending private schools. So maybe "stability" isn't the reason for parents enrolling their children in private schools in those two areas after all? Just some food for thought.....

http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/re...Growth2005.pdf

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 04-27-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMom View Post
Its so bad in Wake County that we know people who have been reassigned 5 times in 5 years and never moved from their house.
Which node was reassigned five times in five years?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
If you have to go private, perhaps moving here will no longer make economic sense.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
What about a different school district, like Chapel Hill???

Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm curious about the source of these facts. A quick internet search turns up a Wake County Growth Report that states that in 2003 about 9.9% of Wake county students attended private schools. While that data is 5 years old it seems pretty close to the 8% average and I find it doubtful that the number has doubled in less than 5 years time.
I think a lot of times when people say "private schools", they mean something other than public schools. If you look at the numbers for 2003, you see:
  • 83.3% in public schools
  • 9.9% in private schools
  • 4.1% in home schools
  • 2.6% in charter schools
This means that 16.73% of students in Wake County are not in public schools. Even if you view charter schools as part of the "public school system", that still leaves 14% of students who have opted out. According to the study, there seems to be a trend toward a more students opting not to attend public schools - the study mentions that the three alternatives above may grow to 20% by 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary