Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times

Advertisements

I'm happy with the schools (granted, my experience is minimal with just a kindergartener), but most of my neighbors seem very pleased as well. And we all like or even love the year-round thing. I will actually be upset if the new school they're building (where we expect to be redistricted in 2009) is NOT year-round. Not upset about being moved - I understand the area's growing, and new schools have to be filled, but after doing year-round, I think I would have trouble going back to traditional (I know they'll end up in traditional in middle or high school, and that's OK with me too, even though my kids are 4 years apart and will be on different schedules for awhile).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Our two children got great educations and were well prepared for college by WCPSS.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I don't think many people are or were unhappy with the actual schools themselves. My oldest 2 kids got a great education going to SEVERAL wake county schools, and that was the main issue we had and the one that most other people who complain have..too much redisctricting because it is too large of a district. Many (most) of the schools in Wake County offer a great educational experience for your kids...the problem comes around if you don't like the idea of non-traditional year round schools (which some people actually prefer) or really have a problem with your kids to be reassigned...because most will atleast once.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:11 PM

90 posts, read 367,045 times
plf86...Which schools in northern VA are you comparing Wake Co. schools? We live in McLean and are seriously contemplating a move to the Wake Forest area of Wake Co. Would like to hear your impressions/comparisons. Feel free to respond directly to me.
Thank you.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
WCPSS and Happy. Hmmmmm. Well I.... Last time.... Let me start this again.

Fact: WCPSS is large 134,002 students.
Growing by the day, by the time I finish writing this it will probably grow another
student or two.
Children have been and will be moved around as new schools open or new
neighborhoods pop up. Think of a potato sack when its filled, you either say
Ok no more potato's please, or you go get another sack and keep filling.

IMO With above facts there will be challenges. I feel teachers and administrators
are doing the best they can given all they have to try to solve. Its not perfect
and many will claim is as far from perfect as it can get but it is what it is.

Hopefully we came here and decided to settle where we did based on research
about the community and schools that support the community. If not then you
got what you got. Even if you researched it did not guarantee your child would
not be moved or like where you chose either.

I am not flipping like a gymnast forward or backward about the quality of WCPSS
but I am neither stumbling nor staggering about them either. Based on what I
pay in taxes and the involvement I have with the schooled and my child's teachers
I am satisfied with the WCPSS system. Can it be better, you bet! Can it be
worse, you bet! Can I be involved more to help the schools system be even
better, you bet!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 AM

46 posts, read 140,150 times
Thanks for so many positive replies. We moved here from Las Vegas which is home of the fastest growing school district in the country, so I totally understand growing pains. When we were researching Raleigh, we were impressed with the test score numbers, (I am a former teacher and I know that schools cannot be judged on test scores, but we had to start somewhere) and the graduation rates. I had followed all of the education news, especially about the redistricting and the year round, but we were still impressed. When we arrived here and I spoke to a few people, all I kept hearing is that the schools are horrible. I just couldn't believe that things could be all bad, so I just wanted to hear some positive feedback and I am very happy that I was able to find it.

I plan on being very active in my childrens' educations and helping to make their experiences as positive as possible...growing pains and all.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:08 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times
We love WC schools. My kids are in K and 1st grade and we love both the curriculum and the teachers/staff!!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
I think the schools are good but the reassignment is what isn't so great. My son started last year at one school for kindergarten and now this year for first grade we were reassigned to a different school. My disappointment is not with the education but I truly believe for my own situation the switching of schools has had a negative impact.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:01 PM

128 posts, read 452,936 times
We've been in Wake County since The Boy was in 3rd grade. Moved here from a traditional calendar in another state right smack into a year-round calendar. After a couple of "track-outs," we were hooked. The Boy is in high school now (at Wakefield) and is actually disgruntled to NOT be on a year-round schedule any longer.

In my opinion, year-round really is the best educational choice, but there is a lot of vocal opposition on it from people who are quite loud in their opinions. I've never, NEVER met any parent or child who disliked the year-round system, and that was after six years in it. But there are always the parents who are being redistricted who assume their child will be horrified and miserable.

Of course, no one wants change when they feel things are fine as is, but the total situation isn't quite what it's made out to be on the news. Yes, people keep coming here so growth is a little crazy. No, you child might not end up in the same school for their entire school career. But they'll get over it. And the schools are good. The teachers are good. And if you come across a problem with a teacher, I can nearly guarantee you that the administration who handles your problem, will be good. In short (or not!) We like Wake County Schools.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
From my limited dealings with Wake county schools (6 months with a kinder student) I adore it. I love year round, I wish the schools where we were originally from had this option more. I love the fact they dont have to take so much time in the beginning of school to refresh everyone on what they learned, and can just go right into new stuff. I love the fact my son doesnt get bored during vacations but it's just enough time so that he's really excited to go back after 3 weeks. I love the fact he's learned so much more than what he would have learned had we stayed up in Mass. I love the fact I can take the kids on cool trips during off season and not have to worry about insane lines or high airfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary