Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,364 times

Advertisements

hi,
I am moving to nc and wanted to know where is a great place to move? Want to move aroung young working adults so it can be easier to meet people. I heard durham was not a safe area but where i am relocating from it can't be worse. People suggest Briar Creek area but it is a little expepensive being a recent graudate from college? Where are some nice apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:38 AM

52 posts, read 132,513 times
In Morrisville which closer RTP (where all technology jobs are ) and in Wake county, you can find apartments from $800, Or you can live in condo/townhome from $1000. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Would you rather be in a more urban, walkable setting or a suburb? Also, where will you be working?

As a young professional, I live in the Glenwood South/Downtown Raleigh area and really enjoy the atmosphere and being able to walk to many of the places I go for entertainment and shopping.

Briar Creek is more suburban with a lot of newer residential, but it is not really walkable (not even in the shopping center part).

As for Durham, I actually really like the downtown area, and if I had a job in Durham would probably try to live somewhere in that part of town. There are good areas and bad areas in every city, and once you learn where they are it is fairly easy to choose where to go based on that knowledge.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 AM

159 posts, read 608,920 times
If you have job prospects in Durham, and you're a recent college grad, I see no reason not to live in Durham. There are GREAT areas of Durham, where young professionals (and grad students - real people, too!) live, where I think you would have a great time. We've aged out of the "recent college grad" scene, but we just spent wonderful years with a large group of young 20 something friends who all migrated to Durham from other parts of the Triangle because of the lifestyle and affordability of the area. There are some great little houses to have (if you want to buy), otherwise, there are townhomes and apartments in various parts of the city that are safe, affordable, convenient to shopping (and Durham's great restaurants!), and just right for young professionals.

If you work on the other side of the Triangle, it makes no sense, but if you're in RTP or Durham, I encourage you to give Durham strong consideration. We've had a fantastic time here!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
It's mostly the East/Central part of Durham that's unsafe, and you can "tell" which neighborhoods are meant by this from the generally blighted look.

Near Duke, you'd fine tons of young adults (grad students and recent grads) and affordable housing aimed at same. Ditto for near downtown Raleigh around NC State...there's an explosion of young adults near downtown Raleigh these days.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
The Raleigh Durham area is a wonderful area to relocate, however, if you enjoy the ocean, consider the Wilmington area with the opportunities that a small coastal, college city has to offer. I moved here 10 years ago from NY and have never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary