U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 05:36 AM

12,903 posts, read 24,771,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZarineHawkwing View Post
....... Of the three, WF, Rolesville, and Youngsville, which would you recommend for a young family with kids? I work from home, hubby would need to find a job down there in gov/tech.
Youngsville is in Franklin County, so the schools are not as well rated as the Wake County schools. Rolesville is probably more consistent with your desire for privacy, as Wake Forest is growing rapidly. Rolesville still looks like a small town, and it has the Thales Academies in case you every wanted a good private school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 06:49 AM

3,344 posts, read 2,394,836 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses!!! It's nice to get all these perspectives and insider knowledge of the area. So, we are still considering wake forest, and rolesville, but have also been told Youngsville is a good area to look at. We enjoy a suburban or rural feel (it's what we are used to, my neighbors have cornfields but we work in the heart of D.C.). Of the three, WF, Rolesville, and Youngsville, which would you recommend for a young family with kids? I work from home, hubby would need to find a job down there in gov/tech.
If you want sort of rural, look at Wendell, too. It's got more going for it than Rolesville, other than not being close to Wake Forest. However, it's close to Knightdale. I'd suggest Zebulon, where I live, but it's still in the process of revitalizing, so there's not much of a downtown area. I think Wendell has a very pretty "downtown" area. You can also still get a good piece of property, either within a subdivision or a bit further out.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...lot-sqft-43560

Old 07-07-2020, 07:06 AM

3,660 posts, read 1,732,410 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses!!! It's nice to get all these perspectives and insider knowledge of the area. So, we are still considering wake forest, and rolesville, but have also been told Youngsville is a good area to look at. We enjoy a suburban or rural feel (it's what we are used to, my neighbors have cornfields but we work in the heart of D.C.). Of the three, WF, Rolesville, and Youngsville, which would you recommend for a young family with kids? I work from home, hubby would need to find a job down there in gov/tech.
Wake Forest - Small town "feel", which has grown leaps and bounds in the last decade. Still feels like a smaller town but has many amenities (and yes some traffic). Tons of families and kids. By far the biggest/most established of the three.

Rolesville - Truly a small town. Have a major thoroughfare (401) cutting through it. Is developing quickly, but is probably 10 years behind WF. Lots of families in the developments already in place, but a fifth of the population of WF.

Youngsville - Different County, probably 10 years behind Rolesville. population 1/20th the size of WF.

Our criteria when looking was sense of community, good vibes/"Small town America" feel (town events and the like), good place to raise a family, good schools.

WF and Rolesville checked both the boxes at the price point we wanted to be at (390-430K), however WF is a more "mature/established" small town.

If you want a true really small town experience; under developed, less "organized" town events, Rolesville is as small as I would go here (my parents lived in a one light town in MA, so I had no interest in that here). The home my wife and I sold was in a town "that was really something in the 60s" but had lost much of its shine. I wanted "Pleasantville"

Old 07-07-2020, 08:34 AM

1,310 posts, read 577,467 times
Quote:
I'm not as familiar as some others who live there, but I've been considering moving up to the Wake Forest area for awhile now and have been out house hunting and exploring quite a bit, so I know the area in that sense. Things certainly have changed out there over the past decade or two.

The growth in Wake Forest is mindblowing, but it still feels smaller and welcoming, especially in the older parts. People actually smile and wave at us a lot. The downtown is really cute and interesting. The schools are part of the Wake County system and seem to be pretty good, and some are rated very well for whatever that's worth. There are some nice greenways and plans to extend them, and Joyner Park is absolutely beautiful. There seems to be a real sense of community there, and I find it very appealing. Given what you're looking for, it seems like a good fit if you avoid the mega neighbohoods and look at some of the older or outlying ones, especially to the east.

While we've driven around Youngsville and Rolesville exploring, and I did used to go to an eccentric old country mechanic out in Youngsville back in the day, I'm less familiar with those areas. Until recently, I would have told you these towns were in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing out there, but now there are tons of new neighborhoods. Youngsville is a bit more out there though, and I'd say more rural. Rolesville is growing crazy fast and is becoming more suburban by the minute. The public schools in both towns aren't rated as highly as Wake Forest if that matters, with Rolesville being part of the Wake County system and Youngsville being part of the Franklin County system. Growth may help improve that situation though.

And while I'm reluctant to get in the political fray here, I'm just going to say that I don't think you're wrong about seeing Wake Forest as more purple. It's pretty diverse politically and otherwise, relatively speaking of course, and I think you've got all kinds which makes it interesting to me. People seem overall less political than other areas, at least publically, which can be refreshing. I imagine Youngsville leaning more conservative. Rolesville is changing too fast for me to call. I see a lot of diversity and out of town plates in the neighbohoods we drive through. I'd call it starting to lean towards purple from red.

I think all these towns are family friendly and probably well worth your time to explore given what you're looking for. I'm partial to Wake Forest but appreciate the rural feel of the other areas. We've had some very relaxing country drives out that way lately.

Lastly, not to be alarmist, but it is advised that if you're buying in that area that you should get a radon test. It's just the geology of the area and nothing to be overly worried about. Any issues found can usually be easily mitigated.

Good luck!

Last edited by ITB_OG; 07-07-2020 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: geology not geography!

Old 07-09-2020, 10:57 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,453,919 times
I know I'm late to the thread but we shopped houses in Knightdale and were pleasantly surprised. Plenty of nice streets/neighborhoods to be in and pretty close to downtown Raleigh. Especially with your budget of $400K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary