Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 11:32 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times

Advertisements

Over 7500 new infections in one day. Not good.

a quote from Dr Cohen
“We are on a dangerous course,” Cohen said at a news conference Thursday. “Hospitals are feeling the strain, and this is really worrisome.”

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/nc-...ions/19425039/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 02:42 PM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post

a quote from Dr Cohen
“We are on a dangerous course,” Cohen said at a news conference Thursday. “Hospitals are feeling the strain, and this is really worrisome.”

Yes. And covid hospitalizations yesterday hit 2,500 for the first time, with a positive test rate above 10% for 10 out the past 11 days.

2,000 of the state's 2,400 ICU beds are now filled.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:58 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
At my hospital, COVID-19 admissions have increased from 68 from 2 weeks ago, to 121 today. As much as you want to mess with the statistics, it's real. The admissions are real and the people not recovering is real.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:16 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
At my hospital, COVID-19 admissions have increased from 68 from 2 weeks ago, to 121 today. As much as you want to mess with the statistics, it's real. The admissions are real and the people not recovering is real.
Is your hospital part of CAPRAC? According to DHHS CAPRAC currently has 191 hospitalized, so 121 at one hospital seems high. Not doubting what you say, just curious what group.

Do they generally try and transport covid patients to certain hospitals?

Old 12-11-2020, 05:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post

a quote from Dr Cohen

I'll just say 7,500 positive test results. Nice url WRAL ("staggering") by the way.

Unless we suddenly DID change the cycles to 25 to 30.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
not recovering = longer stay to recover, or dying.

I mean, look at my post yesterday. How in holy hell is our % of cases > 65 still so high??

Old 12-11-2020, 05:23 PM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
Headline should read: "Only 7,500 new cases reported. Virus is under control."

Old 12-11-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
That's not how it works, although I agree that the 53 year old is at higher risk and should be higher on the priority list. I'd be beyond shocked to see schools opening full in-person particularly at the middle and high school level until a vaccine is approved for children and they have time to administer it widely.

Also of critical importance is making sure the 53 year old and other adults feel comfortable getting the vaccine. Given the amount of hysteria and misinformation out there, it's something that will have to be actively worked on. If not, we run the risk of either not reaching herd immunity or having a two-tiered society. It's also important to note that not everyone is a good candidate for vaccines and herd immunity is especially critical for them.

Sorry if I'm boring anyone, but someone up thread asked about it, and I thought the poll was interesting. It wasn't my intent to post on and on about it, but if I'm quoted and someone challenges what I've said I'm going to reply.
For the sake of discussion, since we are able to civilly do so...

I'd say it IS about that 53 year old teacher, and that by vaccinating them, we are "covered" at this time.

1. I don't recall the teachers' orgs (here or elsewhere) saying they were concerned about the kids - but about themselves and their vulnerabilities/co-morbidities.

2. We have thought, observed, and confirmed that it's rare for children to have Covid issues.

So, if we DO vaccinate the at-risk population, and WAIT to vaccinate the "safe" population, then we have accomplished our intermediate goal.

Of course, we want as many people vaccinated as possible as soon as we can.

But I sure don't want to hear from any anti-vax, "continue the severe restrictions" people. Any significant number of teachers that want vax exemptions but to remain fully-employed? Hell to the No.

I will wear a mask indoors in public until we reach a predetermined precise % of infected/vaccinated. Capacity restrictions, curfews, etc etc etc - that aren't based on science and reality - see above. I'm personally about as done with it as I can be, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

Old 12-11-2020, 05:50 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
If hospitals are in such urgent states, why are elective surgeries still occurring? Elective surgeries were the first to go back in March.

From last week:

Quote:
Across the Duke Health system, Galbraith said, 111 people are being treated for COVID-19. The number isn't high enough to force any Duke-affiliated hospital to start canceling elective surgeries to free up beds, she said.
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/hos...ined/19412960/

Last edited by m378; 12-11-2020 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-11-2020, 06:20 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
For the sake of discussion, since we are able to civilly do so...

I'd say it IS about that 53 year old teacher, and that by vaccinating them, we are "covered" at this time.

1. I don't recall the teachers' orgs (here or elsewhere) saying they were concerned about the kids - but about themselves and their vulnerabilities/co-morbidities.

2. We have thought, observed, and confirmed that it's rare for children to have Covid issues.

So, if we DO vaccinate the at-risk population, and WAIT to vaccinate the "safe" population, then we have accomplished our intermediate goal.

Of course, we want as many people vaccinated as possible as soon as we can.

But I sure don't want to hear from any anti-vax, "continue the severe restrictions" people. Any significant number of teachers that want vax exemptions but to remain fully-employed? Hell to the No.

I will wear a mask indoors in public until we reach a predetermined precise % of infected/vaccinated. Capacity restrictions, curfews, etc etc etc - that aren't based on science and reality - see above. I'm personally about as done with it as I can be, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE
I totally feel ya! And I agree that in the immediate future high risk groups should be the focus and having vaccine available for them should make a big difference. But as far as getting back to normal, I think it's going to take more than that and addressing vaccine hesitancy and anti-vax campaigns is going to be important. That is all. To be clear, I am not saying that schools need to be or should be closed until all children can be vaccinated just that I don't think things will start getting back to normal until vaccines are widely available and have a high uptake. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what I've said that's so controversial, but I've probably said all I can say on this. I will bow out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary