U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2021, 11:48 AM

3,100 posts, read 1,320,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Pointing out the differences in vaccination rates IS political, and does Nada to solve the problem. Like I said, I haven't personally seen a lot of "anti-vax" from Fox....but I also haven't seen Fox. If they were, but now have made an "about-face", then good on them, and maybe if their viewership has been influenced down the anti-vax trail, they'll change course now.

Regardless, the old saying "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar" still holds true, and seems appropriate for the vaccination discussion.

As to "_____ your feelings", I must admit that's gone over my head.
So you're "mad" that a political finding is being spoken of.....politically? How else should one speak to the findings of that graph? If A more than likely leads to B....you don't like it pointed out that A leads to B? Odd.

I can only speak for myself, but the "solving the problem" portion of the project is probably ov-ah. If you were going to get the vax, you would already (assuming availability in your locale, that you can be; be it age or medical limitations).

Humor, snark and shame is really all this viewer has left and hopes that inaction doesn't cripple the progress we have made.

Hannity and seemingly Douchey have turned the page. The Frozen Seafood Fortune Heir hasn't (even though he is vaxx'd)...and he's king bee there.

As for your closing closing point, were you asleep the last five years? Its a literal Trump T-Shirt/sign slogan in 2016 and 2020.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 12:38 PM

23,235 posts, read 12,686,816 times
I know about Ben Shapiro "Facts don't care about your feelings". I can honestly say I did see or hear the other.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I know about Ben Shapiro "Facts don't care about your feelings". I can honestly say I did see or hear the other.

Fair enough. I'd share a pic here, but trying to mindful that not everyone loves that word the way I do.

Google Image search has it covered if you're so inclined.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:51 PM

547 posts, read 242,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I can only speculate to what the reason is based upon the people that I know that are perpetuating all these recent conspiracy theories and falsehoods.

They have less education than others, never had a "real" career, don't feel like they have a purpose in life and are very very lonely. These people are hungry for a social circle and this is a way for them to fit in and feel like they belong to something. I think many were brought up in a far right family (or environment) so they are already aligned with that party so they will tend to follow what the majority of their party's thoughts and beliefs are.
The couple people I know IRL who have sadly fallen into the anti-vax group are fairly intelligent people who did have careers and are now retired. They are insular, distrustful, generally negative people. I am pretty sure they consume conservative media on the internet and little else. Their children have received the vaccines and they can't convince their own parents to do the same. It's like they live on another planet.

This of course doesn't cover everyone who has suddenly become an anti-vaxxer now that the vaccine is for COVID-19, but that's one group.

Old 07-20-2021, 06:10 PM

2,445 posts, read 3,709,638 times
LOCAL NEWS
Vaccinated people still getting coronavirus in NC:

RALEIGH, N.C. — Thousands of "breakthrough cases" of coronavirus, in which fully vaccinated people become infected, have been reported in North Carolina.

The state Department of Health and Human Services reports that 4,659 breakthrough cases have been reported in North Carolina to date, including 321 hospitalizations and 61 deaths.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/vac...n-nc/19780588/

Old 07-20-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
LOCAL NEWS

RALEIGH, N.C. — Thousands of "breakthrough cases" of coronavirus, in which fully vaccinated people become infected, have been reported in North Carolina.

The state Department of Health and Human Services reports that 4,659 breakthrough cases have been reported in North Carolina to date, including 321 hospitalizations and 61 deaths.

Just so I know we are all working from the same deck of cards (and I will focus on the Pfizer vax for this discussion since that is what I got).

Pfizer/BioNTech vax efficacy against the original wild strain of SARS-COV2 = 94%

Pfizer/BioNTech vax efficacy against the Delta variant = ~64% (based on data released from Israel and keying in 6 months post vaccination; Group 4 in NC became eligible a week shy of 4 months ago).

In both scenarios above, there were greater than 0 chances that a person could get vaccinated and still contract COVID.

Based on numbers I could find, 4.52M North Carolinians are fully vaccinated. 4,659/4,520,000 = .1%

So, to close
1. A person had a 4% chance of getting breakthrough COVID with the wild strain

2. A person has a a ~36% chance of breakthrough COVID with Delta (which is now 60% of all cases in the US....still chuckle that people thought me sharing Dr. Eric's tweets on here was hyperbole a few weeks back....c'est la vie).

3. Right now, NC has experienced breakthrough COVID at a .1% clip, which is a 1/40th the rate we could expect from the wild strain and 1/350th the rate we could expect with Delta. Obviously that number will rise as Delta spreads more and more here; the case numbers in FL and TX all but guarantee that.

4. In a perhaps a "look ahead", what the UK is seeing in this third wave (with vaccines in place in about a 5% more vaxxed population than the US and 10% more than NC).

I think it's fair to say that while these vaccines aren't (and as far as I know, none are; the only certainties I know of are death and taxes), nor were they ever claimed to be 100% effective at preventing a person from getting a disease, it's pretty clear that they are helping lessen the number of deaths from disease....drastically so.

Old 07-20-2021, 06:41 PM

6,939 posts, read 10,426,709 times
Vaccine that keeps me out of the hospital for COVID is a win to me.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:10 PM

2,978 posts, read 2,237,177 times
Quote:
LOCAL NEWS

I was wondering when you would post this. GVoR already explained your numbers very nicely, so read that post again. Maybe keep re-reading it.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:15 PM

2,445 posts, read 3,709,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I think it's fair to say that while these vaccines aren't (and as far as I know, none are; the only certainties I know of are death and taxes), nor were they ever claimed to be 100% effective at preventing a person from getting a disease, it's pretty clear that they are helping lessen the number of deaths from disease....drastically so.
I think it's also fair to say that over exaggerated finger pointing posts like this one have now been shown to be inaccurate data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
98.8% of admitted patients in the hospital are UN-VACCINATED. This includes both ICU and general medical floors.

So thanks a lot.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:30 PM

2,835 posts, read 2,937,695 times
Quote:
LOCAL NEWS

The article also says this?:

Since vaccines began being administered in North Carolina on Dec. 14, more than 580,000 people have tested positive for coronavirus, so breakthrough cases are less than 1 percent of the state's total. Similarly, people who have died from breakthrough infections are less than 1 percent of the 13,535 coronavirus-related deaths reported in North Carolina to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary