Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2020, 09:24 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,929,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...x.html#contact

Hmmm.... this leads me to a neighbor's experience with the virus. Husband and wife exhibited symptoms. Both got tested, were positive and are now quarantining. All of the neighbors in the conversation all accused the husband of contracting it because "he's an avid golfer who golfs everyday and never wears a mask while golfing even though he's around his buddies. He's so selfish." I said I disagree. I believe she contracted it from her job (she's a yoga instructor who's classes consist of older adults.) Majority immediately popped off with attacks how I'm wrong because her classes are very safe because she has very strict mask policy and everyone must be wearing masks entire time. I said I disagree but whatever. Seems the CDC agrees to disregard mask usage as prevention. (unless I'm not understanding this correctly which is entirely possible)

I think it's saying you can still be considered a close contact if you were wearing a mask during the interaction.

Yes, you are still considered a close contact even if you were wearing a cloth face covering while you were around someone with COVID-19. Cloth face coverings are meant to prevent someone from transmitting the disease to others, and not to protect someone from becoming infected.

That's why it's important for everyone to wear a mask. One person wearing a mask in a group of 10 only prevents the one from potentially passing it to the other 9. If all 10 were wearing masks, the potential risk decreases for all 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 03:56 PM

773 posts, read 640,612 times
Over 2,000 hospitalizations in NC yesterday, nearly doubling in the past month. Plus the fewest number of tests and the highest positivity rate in the past month. Glad we've turned the corner!

Old 12-02-2020, 05:48 AM

1,326 posts, read 717,004 times
The UK approved the Pfizer vaccine before we did. They'll start administering it next week.

"Elderly people in care homes and care home staff have been placed top of the priority list, followed by over-80s and health and care staff."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55145696

Old 12-02-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
The UK approved the Pfizer vaccine before we did. They'll start administering it next week.
The FDA will approve it next Thursday and we will start administering it the following week.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:55 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,129,720 times
in Covid-related news:

RDU screened only 103,000 passengers last week.
That was only 12% higher than the prior week.
They expected 167,000 (projection released after "don't travel" advisory)
The 103K was 64% below last year's 303,000 during the week.
Nationally, air travel was down 41% from same week.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:15 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,129,720 times
as to the vaccine ...

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/pf...vid-19-vaccine

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSKBN2801D8

Both articles are "updated" recently. The NYT one mentions this:
Quote:
The new results also don’t tell us whether older people will get strong protection from the vaccine. Pfizer and BioNTech’s clinical trial includes people over age 65, so it will eventually provide this crucial information. Early clinical studies have suggested that older people produce a weaker immune response to coronavirus vaccines. But with such strong preliminary evidence, it’s possible that they will still get strong protection from a vaccine.
that's more than a bit concerning that it's not been made public the efficacy for the old.

Reuters, originally posted Nov 20, says this though:
Quote:
The final trial data showed the vaccine provided a similar level of protection across different ages and ethnicities - an encouraging result as the disease disproportionately hurts the elderly and minorities.

Of the 170 volunteers who contracted COVID-19 in Pfizer’s trial involving over 43,000 people, 162 had received only a placebo, meaning the vaccine was 95% effective, far higher than originally expected.
to me at least, it would be critical to know the efficacy among the old, since we'd much prefer to vaccinate them first - especially those in congregate living (2 new outbreaks in Wake County announced yesterday).

Nationwide, "nursing homes" represent just under 1% of population but 40% of the deaths. Hopefully, it's very effective for the old, so we can vaccinate them, and all their workers, and all health care pros dealing with Covid patients in December.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
to me at least, it would be critical to know the efficacy among the old, since we'd much prefer to vaccinate them first - especially those in congregate living (2 new outbreaks in Wake County announced yesterday).

Nationwide, "nursing homes" represent just under 1% of population but 40% of the deaths. Hopefully, it's very effective for the old, so we can vaccinate them, and all their workers, and all health care pros dealing with Covid patients in December.
Even if it's not as effective for the elderly and those in poor health, hopefully vaccinating those that work in congregate living settings and other health care workers will provide those they care for quite a bit of protection.

As far as vaccinating health care workers and those in care facilities in December, particularly in any significant amount, I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully I'm just being pessimistic. However, I have read several reports that it could take a few weeks after the upcoming FDA meetings for approval although theoretically it could happen immediately after. We shall see I guess.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:32 AM

4,483 posts, read 3,684,047 times
Why would UK approve the vaccine first, and we in America have to wait for an FDA "regular" meeting on Dec 10? Go ahead and schedule an "emergency" meeting now and let's get started looking at the data.

I do know the FDA always waits for Europe to approve drugs before they approve them, but get with it!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Why would UK approve the vaccine first, and we in America have to wait for an FDA "regular" meeting on Dec 10? Go ahead and schedule an "emergency" meeting now and let's get started looking at the data.

I do know the FDA always waits for Europe to approve drugs before they approve them, but get with it!
First of all, there are no "regular" meetings of the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee; all meetings (usually about 4 per year) are called meetings. It meets when there is an issue to consider.

Second, Pfizer submitted their data to the FDA around November 20th, and the members of the committee are analyzing the data so that they can render a decision on the 10th. The meeting was set for the 10th in order to provide time for the analysis to take place. The FDA isn't sitting around waiting for the UK to approve before making a decision. Its simply the process. Its moving quite expeditiously.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is there any data out there on re-infections? Do we know yet if people have gotten the virus twice, and if so how common is it? I’m talking actual data that shows legitimate symptomatic and contagious sickness, not people who claim to have tested positive twice, as we really have no way of understanding the level of virus they had.

At the beginning of all this, I believe it was Fauci who said that antibody testing would be key to ending this virus. Antibody tests came out and apparently were just “eh” and we sort of never hear about them anymore. Why is that and why can’t we develop a good antibody test if we can develop a vaccine in 8 months that creates those same antibodies?

Now if I had the virus and knew I couldn’t get it again, or knew that it was unlikely that I’d get it again, I certainly wouldn’t be running out to get a vaccine right away. How is it that we don’t have more info on this by now, given that it’s been almost a year now? If I can’t get re-infected in a year, maybe I want to give the vaccine a year before running out and getting it?
Came across this info about a just approved antibody test this morning.

Quote:
"The semi-quantitative serology (blood) test can be used to measure the level of antibodies in people who have been exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus"

"Many current candidate vaccines aim to induce an antibody response against the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. Tests that quantify antibodies to the spike protein could be used to measure the level of that response and track that measurement over time."
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301182836.html

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2020...6861606920172/

https://www.roche.com/investors/upda...2020-12-02.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary