Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 AM

71 posts, read 111,539 times

Advertisements

Hi! NC native here, but I've been living out of state for the past 10 years. We have recently found ourselves back in the NC and renting in Fuquay. We are looking to settle down and buy a house in a smaller suburb outside of Raleigh next year. I work in Morrisville and my husband travels for work, so we are rather flexible on where we can buy.

Looking for a small up and coming town with a max 45 min commute time to my work. We really love Fuquay, but we feel like we've missed the boom and everything seems overpriced at the moment. Someone recommended we check out Pittsboro for the same type of feel.

Max budget of 400k
Our son will be 5, by the time we move, so elementary schools are a factor.
It takes me 40 mins to get from Fuquay to work now, so I don't want anything longer.

Is anyone familiar with both areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 09:09 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times
My only hesitation with Fuquay is the traffic for you on 55 into Morrisville. Is your 40 minute commute current times or is that the "normal" work hour commute (i.e. pre COVID)?

I don't know what the commute from Pittsboro would look like but it seems 64 to 540 would be more desirable than heading from Fuquay to any point north.

Aside from elementary schools, what are your other must haves or would like to have? I don't know much about Pittsboro but I imagine Fuquay would tick many of the average person's boxes.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
Pittsboro, in terms of new communities, is not a bargain. We loved Brier Chapel to the point where we were thisclose to signing paperwork. But it was so remote from everything we accessed in the Triangle, and not really being sold at a discount. It completely failed the Starbucks litmus test, where we measured the driving time to the nearest Starbucks (20 minutes without traffic).

You're really not going to find a true bargain, particularly in the under $400k range if you're shopping new construction. But at least in Fuquay you're already in a developed area with access to retail, services and soon enough, easier access to 540. Plus, it passes the Starbucks litmus test (don't judge me, my wife has one vice and it's her daily Starbucks drink).

Old 09-24-2020, 10:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
There is a Starbucks right across the street from Briar Chapel inside the Harris Teeter at Chatham Downs, but whatever.

The thing to know about Pittsboro is Chatham Park. Look it up. It is a massive development that will be home to 60,000 people and will dwarf the town of Pittsboro.

I'm not sure where the comparison of Fuquay to Pittsboro came about anyway. Can't say that I think they are much alike at all.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:23 AM

@BoSox 15

Right now, I take Sunset to Kildaire Farm to Cary Parkway to work. It takes me 40 mins, no real traffic back ups for the past 2 months. I avoid 55 all together, my office is on the far south east side of Morrisville.

Basically, were looking for what Fuquay has; small town, still kind of country without being completely rural. The schools are good and will continue to get better with growth and tax dollars. The only thing is I feel like we are "late" to the Fuquay party. Housing isn't as crazy as Cary, but its definitely getting pricey for the distance to Raleigh.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesunder View Post
@BoSox 15

Right now, I take Sunset to Kildaire Farm to Cary Parkway to work. It takes me 40 mins, no real traffic back ups for the past 2 months. I avoid 55 all together, my office is on the far south east side of Morrisville.

Basically, were looking for what Fuquay has; small town, still kind of country without being completely rural. The schools are good and will continue to get better with growth and tax dollars. The only thing is I feel like we are "late" to the Fuquay party. Housing isn't as crazy as Cary, but its definitely getting pricey for the distance to Raleigh.
You're probably aware, but traffic to Morrisville/RTP is reduced by probably around 80% currently.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:26 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
Sanford *sips tea* especially if you are a native and understand the flavour of the rest of nc

Old 09-24-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You're probably aware, but traffic to Morrisville/RTP is reduced by probably around 80% currently.
I knew it was reduced, but I had no idea it was reduced by 80%. I'm off Cary Parkway and Chapel Hill Road, so not in RTP, but if that comes back full force, I'm going to have to rethink the area.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:30 PM

Maybe I should look at Apex

Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesunder View Post
I knew it was reduced, but I had no idea it was reduced by 80%. I'm off Cary Parkway and Chapel Hill Road, so not in RTP, but if that comes back full force, I'm going to have to rethink the area.
80% is just a guess, but there are very few working onsite in RTP these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary